I have travel question - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-15-2005, 11:32 PM   #1
Traveler23
Members

Unhappy

I have a question about air Canada ticket policies …. A friend of mine traveling to London from Houston bought a ticket from air Canada over the phone from the airline; and was told that they would have to wait for a call back before confirmation for security reasons. They told him he’ll have to wait tell the next day and if he miss the call back he will have to purchase the ticket at the airport…. We checked his account and they have not taken out the $1,088.00 for the round trip yet…So, we assume the call back is the person who will withdraw the money…Have anybody else had to wait for a call back from an airline when they purchased a ticket over the phone?

Also, I'll be meeting my friend later on in London sometime in July and wonder if anyone has advice for a first time flyer? I have never been on a plane and this is my first time ever far away from home...
Traveler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 05:30 AM   #2
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

Don't know about the airline policies, but as for tips on flying, I guess the most important is to relax, take your time and ask questions if you need help. Airports can be pretty daunting, especially the big ones, so be sure to ask for directions to your boarding gate when you check in, and give yourself plenty of time to check in. Likely you won't need much and everything will go smoothly, but it's nice to have enough time to walk calmly instead of dashing around in a tizzy! There are information stations throughout many major airports, and if you can't find one, you can ask directions from just about any airport personnel and they'll point you in the right direction.

After you check in, you'll go through some sort of security check and then on to the boarding gates (these are usually numbered) and the check-in agent will give you both the gate number and boarding time. When you get to the gate, there will be an agent there, but if you already have a boarding card (which you usually do, from check-in) you usually don't need to check in again at the gate. Just grab your favourite drink, and relax in the waiting area until they call your flight. Sometimes they go by seat row number, so check to see which row you're in and wait til you hear them call that group (ie. "Now boarding rows 20 - 30") Show the agent your ticket and have your passport ready, and follow the crowd down the jetway and on board. There'll be another agent at the door to show you which side of the aisle you're on, and when you get to your row, just look for the seat number (these are usually lettered, A-F or so, depending on the size of the plane), and the picture above the seats (on the overhead compartments where you can stow your carry-on) shows the position of your seat. Stow your bag (if you have stuff you'll want in flight, stick it under the seat in front so you don't have to keep getting up) sit down and relax some more.

On board the cabin crew will take great care of you, so no worries there. Probably the most important things to help you stay comfortable in flight is to drink LOTS of water because the dry cabin is very dehydrating, bring a good book to while away the hours (or sleep if you can), and bring some kind of candy to suck on or chew during take-off and landing if you are sensitive to changes in pressure. If you have alcohol during the flight, also be sure to drink water because that can make the dehydration worse, and that can also affect jet lag.

Then, grab your stuff, and follow the crowd (and the signs) to baggage claim, (usually the flight number and city of departure is listed above the carousel where the bags come in, so you'll know you're in the right place), grab your luggage and head off toward customs/immigration. Once you pass that, you're all set, welcome to wherever you are!

Congrats on your first trip, you'll have a ball!
tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 07:21 AM   #3
GoKrazy
TPunk Camping Addict

tumblezweedz gave you great advice, so I'll just add one more thing. As stated before, during the take off and landing there are pressure changes in the cabin and if you have stuffed up sinuses it can be quite painful. My advice is that if you have a cold or anything like that then take some decongestant about an hour or two before take off. Changes in pressure with stuffed up sinuses feel like your head is going to explode. Also if you are a light sleeper take some ear plugs.

Check out the Air Canada website for more info on tickets. I guess if you want to you can just book the tickets you want through the internet.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:59 AM   #4
d_fresh
TPunk Emeritus

only thing I have to add...if you're tall be prepared to be cramped up for your flight. air canada's planes have absolutely no room at all.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:20 PM   #5
Traveler23
Members

Thanks everyone for the great info

My best friend called air Canada today and asked them why he had to wait a day for a call back….they told him the same old thing to check into his account information….well since they had not taken out his bank account the money for the ticket he canceled with them and went with another air line….. He leaves this weekend for London to study abroad for the summer….I’ll join him in mid July… he’ll meet at the London airport when I arrive…hopefully he can show me some pretty good sights their…..I’m still kind of scared about the going to a foreign land….Heck! I lived my whole life in my small town “I guess I’m truly a small town girl” where I’m from everybody knows everyone’s name…Oh, well I’m really looking forward to the new experience…
Traveler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:18 PM   #6
mjgeo
Members

Small town girl in Heathrow Airport. Sounds like fun for a first time flyer.

Good luck, and just remember the best advice from the HitchHiker's Guide: DON'T PANIC

"He who strays discovers new paths."
mjgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 09:07 AM   #7
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Here are some other suggestions, in addition to Tumbleweedz excellent ones:

1) Always carry a bottle of water or two with you when you fly, in your carrry-on. Some flight attendents are less diligent in coming around and keeping you with enough to drink. It's nice being able to sip at your water whenever you feel dry.

2) If it's an overnight flight (leave in the evening, arrive in morning), see if you can get some of those cushy, foam earplugs. Among other places, I imagine gun stores would carry them. They're the ones that you roll into a thin sausage shap, stick in your ear, then they slowly expand. And if you can find one of those cloth masks that stick over your eyes, that you put on with an elastic strap, the two should combine to make you sleep fairly well on your flight. At least it'll block out the noise and sight of the other people crammed in together.

3) On your first day, try to do active, outdoorsy things -- rather than museums. You'll find yourself nodding off otherwise. You want something that keeps your blood pumping and fresh air to stay awake after your "redeye" flight. B)

4) To minimize jet lag, try to stay up till your normal bedtime the first day. DON'T take a nap upon arrival, no matter how tired you may feel. Slog through it as best you can. The closer you can get to staying up till normal bed time the better you'll avoid jet lag.

At least these all work for me....

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote