Viva Europe! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 01-23-2003, 04:52 PM   #1
TheGodfather
Members

Topic:Viva Europe!

Kirstin from Everyone.net email
Viva Europe! Posted 6-4-2002 13:30

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hellooooo? I noticed this message board was quite EMPTY? Where is everyone? I'm a 25 year old American female, traveling solo to Europe next month. I'll be arriving in Amsterdam mid July and leaving Rome mid August, and backpacking through Brugge, Paris, parts-o-Spain, and Italy (and HOPEFULLY Morocco, if I can find a group of people big and scary enough to make the border-town hustlers BACK OFF!). Anyone else going my way? I have an art history degree and I'm ready to see some art and meet some awesome new people! Looking for adventurers on a budget, and people who can recommend good beer! Email me at kkirstin7@yahoo.com.

melly2 from Everyone.net email
Viva Europe Posted 6-4-2002 22:00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am also heading to Europe but don't plan on leaving Wisconsin till the end of August and backpacking for a couple of months all around Europe. and I'm a bit worried about leaving later in the year... does anyone know if there are many backpackers still chugging through the continent in the fall. It seems like everyone goes in the summer. Also does anyone know about Busabout? Oh and how about Ireland and Scotland... any advice about backpacking would be useful... I've never left the US before
Thanks

tp [guest] from Everyone.net email
backpacking Posted 6-5-2002 00:42

Hola Melly and Kristin!

Sorry this board is empty, but in time, it will beef up! That's the goal anyway.
This board was specifically set up to help the entire backpacking, student, and budget traveling community. So, hopefully, future looky-loo's won't be too afraid to post something!

I'll, most likely, be in Madrid at the end of August still.
There are quite a few museums here and I've only been to one of them. Drop me an email if you make it down to Madrid and you're still looking to meet up with people to check out the town.

Melly,

Personally, you'll find that it's much better traveling through Europe(western Europe, anyway) when it's not sooo crowded. Prices of hostels come down, trains aren't bulging with people, museums and tourist attraction aren't long, etc..

I've been in Madrid since March (waaayyy before summer) and I've seen ton's of backpackers. I didn't expect this many before summertime.

Busabout, I'm not sure, but if you check this message board under the topic "Air, Trains, Boats, and Ferries," HappyHeidi has nothing but kudo's for the company StrayTravel. Check out her post.

Check back later and the Ireland page will come back up. I'm doing some more work to it now.

Check the message boards also under the topic "work abroad." Travelgoddess is putting up a new hostel in Westport, Ireland. I'm sure it will be a great place to stay as it is owned by a fellow traveler.

You both have fun on your travels!
Take care and feel free to email me at - Travelpunk2000@yahoo.com

TP

Kirstin from Everyone.net email
reply to Melly Posted 6-5-2002 04:52

You know, I think that early fall is supposed to be an awesome time to travel to Europe. I was going to go in September, but my plans were pushed forward because of work. My cousin has been through Europe lots of times, and she says that early fall is the best - prices decrease, and many places - especially in the Mediterranean area, are less crowded. I hear that a ton of people from Germany and northern Europe pack up and head south during late July and August to cure their Vitamin D deficiency. Lucky me, I'm sure I'll end up doing tequila shots with a bunch of retired Germans in speedos (no offense, anyone)!

melly2 from Everyone.net email
Viva Europe Posted 6-5-2002 21:07

Hi Kirstin
At least drinking shots with retired German men in speedos is better then drinking them by yourself. Hope your trip goes well and I'm sure your going to meet a ton of cool and fun people Are taking the trains to get from place to place? and do you know how flexipasses work... do they only count the days you are on and traveling for? I am sooo excited... and I think traveling by yourself is the way to go. At least thats what I hope... take care and good luck... I'm off to go look at backpacks.

chino from Everyone.net email
VIva Europe Posted 6-15-2002 00:29

Hi I'm a student from California and soon I will be an Italia for a Study Abroad. After three months, I will pack my things and start over my backpacking trip. I was concern about if fall was a good time to travel but know I'm pretty sure that maybe we will have a lot of fun. I don't have plans to what I will visit so maybe we can keep in touch.

fall travel Posted 6-16-2002 03:35

Chino,

If you decide to have fun on your travels, you will.
No matter when you travel, you will always see other backpackers. You can team with them and plan day trips and excursions if you get bored going the solo route.
Personally, I love traveling alone. It forces you to talk to locals and other people in general.
You will probably meet up with people in Italy that will want to join you for all or part of your trip.
Your budget will go further in the winter, that's for sure. My budget was way better in May and June, than it was when I went back to Europe 6 weeks later in July and August.
Generally, in Western Europe, your money goes further in Italy and Spain, followed by Greece than it does in the other Western European countries.
Eastern European countries, Czech Rep, Slovakia, Ukraine, Croatia, and so forth, are cheap pretty much all year round. I was told tonight, by a Czech friend visiting Spain, that you can get 3 beers for 1 Euro(about .95 US cents).
The only real concern for traveling in Europe during the fall or winter, is what to pack. Warmer clothes, of course. This means a heavier backpack.

Take care,

TP

Prince ALI [guest] from Everyone.net email
Europe - Here I come Posted 6-22-2002 06:40

Hey everyone.. i just found this great site.. i'm so excited.. i'm leaving for a two month trip to Europe starting this Wednesday the 26th of June.... I'll in amsterdam in mid July aswell... ANd with my Eurail pass, we are still unsure what we want to do (me and my older sister) Likely spain... she's dying to go there.. Then we want to go to Greece... any hints on things i can't miss on my way...???

TP [guest] from Everyone.net email
Thanks! Posted 6-24-2002 00:53

Prince Ali,

Thanks for your compliment!

I highly suggest that you do make it into Spain! I was on the coast, again, this past weekend and the beaches, weather, and water on the Mediterranean are just absolutely amazing right now.
The water was SUPER warm. And, yes, they are topless beaches.
I've been to the coast three times in the last 2 months and it's been great every time!
Personally, I like Madrid more than Barcelona, but in either city, you'll find it to be extremely festive and people out at all hours of the night as usually things don't heat up until roughly midnight.
This will be a change from Paris, if you stop there before going into Spain(I highly suggest that too!) as generally, the people in Spain seem to be much more open, warm, festive, and friendly people.
I haven'tbeen to Greece yet, but I hear that the islands, Mykonos and/or Ios, are a must!

Good luck and email if you have any questions.

TP

PS. If you ever need help while traveling and you need to speak to other English speaking people, hit the nearest Irish pub (They are all over!)or pick the brain of the next backpacker you see. Usually, the one's waiting to take the train out of the city that you are just entering, have some good fresh tips of that city as to what to avoid and where to eat, club, and sleep.

JWAD from Everyone.net email
Backpacking Posted 7-16-2002 17:45

Hey all! I am going to london to study at the end of august till mid december. Can anyone suggest any good long weekend trips in europe as we do not have class on friday. I want to travel as much as possible and if anyone will be in europe at this time I am always looking to meet new people.

pubtracker78 from Everyone.net email
Italy Posted 7-16-2002 20:39

I'll be all over Italy at the end of August. Can't wait to get there in a month. Have to get away. Work is driving up the wall, but never fear. Rome's pubcrawls are a callin'. Ciao

Topic:Viva Europe!

pubtracker78 from Everyone.net email
Italy Posted 7-16-2002 20:39

I'll be all over Italy at the end of August. Can't wait to get there in a month. Have to get away. Work is driving up the wall, but never fear. Rome's pubcrawls are a callin'. Ciao

jen [guest] from Everyone.net email
Next Year... Posted 7-18-2002 16:19

So I'm finally planning my European trip...
I just found out that my landlord is selling my house, so I have to be out next April. Rather than find another place right away, I think I'll simply leave the country! I was hoping for tips...is there anything I need to begin planning this soon? (Other than saving money?)
Thanks! I love this site...very user friendly.

ahhhh yeah Posted 7-19-2002 18:17

Pubtracker,

Those pubcrawls sound pretty fun! Let us know how it goes and where we can join in on them.

Jen,

After the saving money part, decide on how long you can afford to travel in terms of time and money.
That plays a big part in how many countries that you will be able to visit.
Some countries you may only need a day or two while others you´ll need several days to give it any kind of justice.
You´ll also need to alot a certain amount of money for transportation from city to city and country to country.
Transportation and accommodations will take the biggest bite out of your budget. After those two things are out of the way, the rest is downhill!

Check out the pages on this site as they address many of your questions in preparing for your travels.

TP

TheWarlock [guest] from Everyone.net email
Weekend trips Posted 7-28-2002 12:40

Hi JWAD, The only trip i think is a must is Amsterdam!!
Coach and Trains leave London 3 or more times a day, £38 return coach from Victoria station,drops you of a Amsterdam Central Rail Station, and the Amsterdam Express from Liverpool St Station for £50 return.These fares are correct to date, if you book more than 7 Days in advance, otherwise the go UP, for the day rates.May i also reccomend The Bulldog Hostal, (great if you like a toke). Hope this has been some help,if not a little late, have a good one
TheGodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 08:56 PM   #2
Traveltrance

Hey everybody whats up? I see some are wandering about travel late in summer. I am planning a trip to Europe in september and staying for 6 weeks. I want to hit amsterdam for the great gourmet um "coffee" and lets not forget peeps, what happens in october? OKTOBERFEST.....besides the fact that most of europe will be cheaper at this time, the beer will flow like rivers.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:39 PM   #3
crionnacht
TPunk Emeritus

traveltrance - sounds like you will have lots of fun in europe! it's no secret that many people travel to amsterdam for the tolerance of light drugs, but it's no fun to burn out, so don't forget to pace yourself so you'll have lots of CLEAR ( ^_^ ) memories of amsterdam!

crionnacht
Old 05-08-2003, 12:10 AM   #4
travelpunk
Admin

When in A-dam, try to force yourself away from the Red-light district (just for a few hours! haha ) and visit the Anne Frank house/museum, the Van Gogh museum, and the Heineken Brewery, to name a few.

Amsterdam is home to one of the busiest airports in the world. It's always busy there no matter what time of year and packed during the summer months.

Personally, I like traveling to popular cities, like A-Dam, when it's not so busy (before June and after August). September through October is a perfect time to travel in my opinion. Let's put it this way, I went to the Eiffel Tower in Paris in May and there was no waiting in line to buy a ticket. Went back in July and forgetaboutit...the line was enormous and the city was piz-nacked(packed)! It's so much more of a richer experience going to a city where you feel like you're the only outsider. Kind of the "big fish in a little pond" feeling.

OKTOBERFEST-head a few hours south to Germany for maximum value on that! B)
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 06:56 PM   #5
TUI
Members

Send a message via MSN to TUI Send a message via Yahoo to TUI

WOW! seems the boards have picked up quite a bit since this original post. B) TP is on its way to stardom.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:39 PM   #6
travelpunk
Admin

Stardom...someday This original post was on the very first board that was on this site. Had to give that board up because of all the pop-ups. I transferred everything that I thought was important enough to this board.

The other former board was lost along with all of it´s postings, before I was able to transfer anything over .
Thankfully, this new board has attracted an awesome crew B)
Old 09-10-2003, 07:33 PM   #7
Diorama
TPunk Emeritus

Thats sad....whatever happened to those old board people. Does that mean oneday I might come on and find that youve disappeared!!!!

just like a man...
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 12:40 AM   #8
travelpunk
Admin

Just do me right, baby, and it'll be all good