Mardi Gras travel packages - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-02-2005, 11:25 AM   #1
byler
Members

Send a message via AIM to byler

Hey, just wondering if anyone knew of some good places to look for packages or deals for New Orleans... we're going on spring break next year to Mardi Gras and we want to have everything squared away soon so no one can back out... so if anyone knows of anywhere to look, please let me know! Thanks!
byler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 11:33 AM   #2
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Personally, I wouldnt' go with a package, nor even go during Mardi Gras (it's just as crazy but less busy/expensive any other time of year), but here's one link:

http://www.bigeasy.com/mardi-gras-packages.html

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:30 PM   #3
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

I also would suggest, NOT going with a package deal. I can personally suggest The Days Inn on Canal. Being on Canal means you can walk to bouron street and all the downtown action. It is not the lap of luxury type of hotel, but nice and good rooms for party time, a pool and a really good bar! And best of all, the prices are REALLY good for New Orleans!

Can also suggest some good places to eat and good food choices. ( I grew up in Louisiana). So any specific questions?

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:03 PM   #4
LaurieL622
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
we're going on spring break next year to Mardi Gras
Isn't mardi gras in February?

I went to n.o. a few years back. Just bought the plane ticket...didn't make any reservations, etc. We stayed at the Hampton Inn on Corondalet...a few steps from Burbon St. They have really good rates for what you get...a really nice room w/two big beds, a couch, and lots of free food. Most importantly...it's about 2 minutes walking distance to Burbon St.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:04 PM   #5
LaurieL622
TPunk Recognized

Actually...I think it was on Canal St.....
Old 06-02-2005, 03:41 PM   #6
xanthuos

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

Ahh, New Orleans, how I love thee...

Anyways, in 2006, Mardi Gras is on February 28...
When is your spring break? Cause if you show up March 1st or anything after that...guess what...you missed Mardi Gras. Carnival is the period from January 6th leading UP to Mardi Gras. Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday, Feb 28th) is the last day of the Mardi Gras season to party hardy (though New Orleans is known for partying around the year too, it just won't be "Mardi Gras"). The city usually takes a collective "sigh" on Ash Wednesday and there really isn't too much crazy stuff going on.

Anyways, how much are you guys looking to spend? That'll give us a better idea on what to recommend for you (as hotel rooms during the last two weekends of Mardi Gras fetch 200+ a night if they're anywhere near the quarter).
Old 06-02-2005, 09:40 PM   #7
byler
Members

Our spring break is hella early. Februaty 24th to March 5th. I turn 21 February 25th, so we're leaving that day and staying until March 3rd. Actually I found a cheap and cool house that we might rent out for the week, seems worth it -- the package deals aren't so hot.

Kingcrazylegs -- suggest some good bars, some great eats, and some cool "off the beaten path" kinds of things to do. I know we want to be a Louisana tourist and take an airboat ride through the bayous.

We're looking to spend as little money as possible. And by that I mean as little on hotel/house/hostel whatever so we can spend more on good eats and good booze like good spring breakers

I heard that it's smart not to stay on the French Quarter because a lot of tourists stay there thinking that's the place to be when the parade route isn't even on the French Quarter. Personally, I couldn't give 2 shits about the parade route... we'll walk if we have to!

Actually, we're driving down, not flying. It's going to be a fun little road trip from northern Ohio to New Orleans. But for my 21st birthday, we're stopping to get myself sloppy drunk in Memphis (my choice -- I'm a southern belle, despite the fact I go to school in northern Ohio).... so yeah, should be interesting! haha
Old 06-03-2005, 01:14 AM   #8
xanthuos

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

Quote:
Originally posted by byler@Jun 2 2005, 09:39 PM
Our spring break is hella early.* Februaty 24th to March 5th.* I turn 21 February 25th, so we're leaving that day and staying until March 3rd.* Actually I found a cheap and cool house that we might rent out for the week, seems worth it -- the package deals aren't so hot.
Where is this house that you might rent? Depending on where it is, there may be safety concerns.

Quote:
I heard that it's smart not to stay on the French Quarter because a lot of tourists stay there thinking that's the place to be when the parade route isn't even on the French Quarter.* Personally, I couldn't give 2 shits about the parade route... we'll walk if we have to!
Once again, with the safety stuff...parades mostly happen during the day and in the evening. Partying in the Quarter on Bourbon St happens at night. When you're drunkest is when you want to be closest to your accomodations, so if you're doing the "spring break" thing and the focus is on the partying, you want to be in the Quarter or close to it (like the hotels at the end of Canal or Poydras by the river).

Quote:
Actually, we're driving down, not flying.* It's going to be a fun little road trip from northern Ohio to New Orleans.* But for my 21st birthday, we're stopping to get myself sloppy drunk in Memphis (my choice -- I'm a southern belle, despite the fact I go to school in northern Ohio).... so yeah, should be interesting!* haha
You should have a great time in Memphis then. Are you originally from Memphis? If not, where in the "south" are you from?

Hope you have a great time! Depending on what I'm up to next February, I hope to be at Mardi Gras again. I stay with a friend in the French Quarter two blocks from one of the busier areas of Bourbon. I love New Orleans! It's great any time of the year (though I've only gone during Carnival).
Old 06-03-2005, 03:00 PM   #9
byler
Members

I'm from the Appalachain region of Ohio. Lived in Kentucky for awhile, but born and raised right across the river. I sure sound like a southerner, feel like a southerner, and my family cooks like southerners!