Route 66 july or aug - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Companions Wanted
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Companions Wanted Going my way? Birds of a feather, flock together.

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-02-2005, 10:59 AM   #1
gdptwenty
Members

Hey whats up, I'm in la at the moment from australia.... I have bought a car and am looking to drive across the states roughly following route 66.... Be fun to travel with someone or meet some cool people along the way.
gdptwenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 11:36 AM   #2
agriadam
TP Ghost

Send a message via AIM to agriadam

well you are starting in LA and ending in Chicago. What is your plan when you get to chitown? if you decide to continue east stop in indianapolis I'll show you around this little town.

note: As Route 66 doesn't appear on modern maps anymore, one needs a good description before heading out on the old 2 lane highway.

I am assuming that you were aware of this but just thought that I would let you know. I came a cross a great map at one point it gave you turn by turn direction through each state I think that it was just called the Route 66 map??? Check it out.

Here It Is! The Route 66 Map Series yep that's the one.

“Life is too short to spend it doing something you don't like... if your passion is selling surfboards by the sea, then that is where you should be.”
-My Dad

"Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once."
-Anthony Bourdain

“If you can imagine a man having a vasectomy without anesthetic to the sound of frantic sitar-playing, you will have some idea what popular Turkish music is like.”
-Bill Bryson

"The older I get the less likely I feel I will ever figure my life out... I think that might be okay though"
-Me
agriadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:24 PM   #3
pinion
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to pinion

ok, this might be a stupid question. Why isn't route 66 on any modern road maps?
And I never will play the wild rover no more
pinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:33 PM   #4
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Quote:
Originally posted by pinion@Jun 2 2005, 02:23 PM
ok, this might be a stupid question. Why isn't route 66 on any modern road maps?
because it is pre-interstate highways...though I think you can still find it on stat by state atlases....Which is what I suggest you buy since you are driving across the US. You can get one for about $10.

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:34 PM   #5
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Route 66 is now basically just a series of old highways and local roads (some with many many lights, i.e. Santa Monica Blvd.) that link together and form the cross-country "highway." If one were to put it down on a map with all the other highways, it'd be very disjointed and hard to get in scale - as in some parts it's a lone road through the desert (easy to put on a map) and in others it's just some stretch of an urban street.

I did a chunk of Route 66 through California and Arizona - basically I used the established highways where I could/needed to in order to avoid urban traffic, but in the middle of nowhere, I'd stray over to the old 66 and enjoy the 2 lanes of desolate bliss.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:12 PM   #6
agriadam
TP Ghost

How long is Route 66?"

The figure used most often is 2,400 miles. But this is really a rough approximation because the road has had many different alignments through the years.

"How many states does the route go through?"

Eight. Traveling from east to west, they are Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California.

"Is the original road still driveable?"

85% is still easily driveable in an ordinary car.

"Why isn't 66 on ordinary maps?"

It was de-commissioned as a federal highway over a period of years with the last stretch disappearing from the records in 1984.

"Why was it de-commissioned?"

Through the years, the federal government built a collection of high speed, interstate highways to bypass and replace old 66.

here are some cool pictures:

one of the undrivable parts of route66

a common gas station along route 66...closed down or tore down...

“Life is too short to spend it doing something you don't like... if your passion is selling surfboards by the sea, then that is where you should be.”
-My Dad

"Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once."
-Anthony Bourdain

“If you can imagine a man having a vasectomy without anesthetic to the sound of frantic sitar-playing, you will have some idea what popular Turkish music is like.”
-Bill Bryson

"The older I get the less likely I feel I will ever figure my life out... I think that might be okay though"
-Me
Old 06-02-2005, 01:58 PM   #7
gdptwenty
Members

Hey all thanks for the replies.... i've got a ton of maps... went to aaa and got maps to ever state i'm going to be going through as well as a lonly planet on route 66 telling u all the turns and different things to see.... I also got the camping books for places to pitch a tent..... it is very disjointed and will follow it in different places of interest.... I've heard taos is a really cool place.. .and am going to stop at this place called havasupi falls in arizona that looks absoultly amazing.
http://www.americaswonderlands.com/havasupai_main.htm
Old 06-02-2005, 02:10 PM   #8
gdptwenty
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by gdptwenty@Jun 2 2005, 09:58 AM
Hey whats up, I'm in la at the moment from australia.... I have bought a car and am looking to drive across the states roughly following route 66.... Be fun to travel with someone or meet some cool people along the way.
"we run past what we need chasing after what we want"
Old 06-02-2005, 03:04 PM   #9
omisan
Minister of Offense

If you get pulled over on your road trip, just tell the cop, "I'm sorry officer, I forgot. In Australia, we don't have speed limits."

A couple of Aussies I met in Venice Beach said they'd gotten pulled over twice on their cross-country road trips - both times in Texas - and used that line successfully. The cops' response the first time, btw, was "Oh yeah, I heard about that. Well, here we do, so watch your speed." The second one let them off with a warning as well.

Could be a crock of shit, but whatever

Old 06-02-2005, 11:21 PM   #10
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Sounds like a blast! Lived in the states all my life and never even (as far as I know!) seen Route 66 but that would be a blast! Good luck and have so much fun!

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 10:01 PM   #11
The Monsignor
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

I lived in Arizona for a number of years... Some sections of that highway are totally impassable, but they also have some really neeto stuff that's still preserved (last time I went along it, they still had Burma Shave ads!) Well worth the visit...

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:45 AM   #12
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

I've seen those ads! Taos and Havasupi are both really cool, there's tons of cool stuff to see en route (I've followed portions of it on various trips). I'd recommend filling up on gas before going on some of the more desolate stretches - you really don't want to run out in the back of beyond! Check to see if your maps show gas stations, that can really help out.

And eat at the diners and mom-n-pop places, rather than the chains if you get a chance. Great way to get the all-American experience. Check out some of the cheesy souvenir places too, they are hysterical. I know you've always wanted a preserved scorpion with a compass on a rabbit's foot key chain...
tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:53 AM   #13
agriadam
TP Ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by tumblezweedz@Jun 6 2005, 07:44 AM
And eat at the diners and mom-n-pop places, rather than the chains if you get a chance.* Great way to get the all-American experience.* Check out some of the cheesy souvenir places too, they are hysterical.* I know you've always wanted a preserved scorpion with a compass on a rabbit's foot key chain...
not only can it be fun but it also supports them and if people like us don't go and visit these places(and spend money) then they won't last and we won't be able to do this forever.....

-My Dad

-Anthony Bourdain

-Bill Bryson

-Me
Old 06-07-2005, 09:31 AM   #14
gdptwenty
Members

Hey whats up i've had a thought after reading everyones advise and looking at maps... It seems most the things to see are in az and new mexico.... My destinatin point is going to be toronto or montreal. Would it be more worth my while after new mexico to head north then east.... or is it worth while going through texas, oklahoma, missouri ?
Old 06-07-2005, 09:55 AM   #15
space virgin
Yoda

My advice is to head north and east, try to go through as much of the Rockies as you can. I guarantee it'll be more picturesque.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:06 AM   #16
omisan
Minister of Offense

Texas can be a long and lonely drive... You can drive for hours on some stretches and not see another car. Which isn't a bad thing, really, but some people just aren't into that. Then again, I guess a run to Alice Springs in Oz wouldn't be so different.