What about Renting? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Budget Hostels, Hotels, and Accommodations > Hostel, Hotels, Budget Accomodations: Questions and tips

Hostel, Hotels, Budget Accomodations: Questions and tips Safety, services and general questions. Is there a camp ground in...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-06-2003, 09:11 AM   #1
ChristianMisfit
Members

Thumbs up

Planning a European trip for next winter, it will be my first trip outside of North America, and was curious if you could just rent an appartment per/month instead of a hostel?

I plan on some back packing, but would also like to spend a few months just relaxing in Greece maybe, not being a tourist, but actually living there.

Has anyone ever just rented an appartment, or a house?

someplace warm around the Mediterranean maybe
ChristianMisfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 01:04 PM   #2
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

Wow, i have been looking around for ya, and have come up will almost nothing on this!! I am going to keep trying, but from what I can see, most "short term" rentals in Greece are showing as " vacation rentals" which I don't think your looking for, and besides the prices of those are coming up as between 120E - 220E per night!!! holy crap
There better be truffles on my pillow in the morning if I spent that kinda of $$$

I think even when we do find the " short terms" that your looking for, i think they will be expecive as well, prices in Greece gave gone up alot in the last year or so because of the Olympics next year ans when the Olympics do get there, FOR GET ABOUT IT! prices will go up HUGE!!. You may wanna looking into renting a private room in someones house, or a short term private room rental at a hostel...just some other options...

I will keep looking though for you, maybe someone else will have some imput to help ya on this.

OH YA,

TO THE TRAVELPUNK FAMILY!!!!!

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 05:56 PM   #3
ChristianMisfit
Members

Thanks D

In Canada you can rent apartments month to month, for 400-750 for a 1bed/bach thats way better then 20 a night if your going to stay for a few months.

Not sure how it works in Europe, but if I wanted to stay, how long do you have to sign most leases in Greece?

why not have a pad for 3 months!! B)
Old 10-09-2003, 03:41 AM   #4
travelpunk
Admin

Hey CMF!

It could be tough to find an apartment for a month as CD mentioned, it will be the year of the Olympics, and although they may be over by the time you get there, they still may be milking the tourists for every last dollar.

Some place warm in winter? Could be tough. I know that on most of the Greek Islands, many places shut down for the winter. For FYI.

The Pink Palace in Corfu is one of the most popular hostels in Europe. And, they have job opportunites (you stay for free in exchange for work and I think there is some pay). If you're interested, you can email them a resume. I read that there is a minimum of a 2 month commitment.

Check out this one too! Far Out Club/Camping They have three resorts. they're cheap, and as you'll see by their pictures, it's party central Mediterranean style!

Now, I'm sure with both of these, you can negotiate a good rate for one month. The ball will probably be in your court. I think I saw $9 euros a night for a dorm bed in one of them. Maybe you can offer something like $18 for a private room for a month. or $15 a night, or a flat $400-$500 for a whole month. They may bite, so it cannot hurt to ask.

Contact them directly through emails to inquire and make an offer. But remember, "the first person to mention a number, loses." So, ask them, "whats the lowest you can go for a private room for one month?" Whatever they say, for this example let's say that the say $600, ask them "would you take $300?" or something like that. Wait for their counter offer, then you counter back. You can also say, "I'll pay you $100 and work for 3 hrs a day helping you in the bar, cleaning etc..." Use your bargaining skills. Be creative.

If you agree on a price, get it in writing as well as the persons name who you spoke with(maybe fax or print your email to take there with you for proof).

Also, don't pay it all up front. Try to put a little of a deposit down as possible, if they want some sort of payment. Then, just in case you found another more attractive option, you can always back out and you've only lost a small deposit.

Those are two of many hostels throughout Greece. I just chose those because they are wildly popular and one of them at least, offers jobs. If you're going to go with the "staying in a hostel route," then find a hostel in the city that you really want to stay in, and contact them by email and use the above method of negotiating.

One thing about staying in a hostel than in an apartment is that you will meet people and your experiences with those people can really make your trip something else .

Hope it helps and WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! B)
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 05:17 AM   #5
kerouacscabbie
Members

the best bet on apartments is real estate agents, they can speak the native language and generally know yours, or at least the language of money. ut, the ones you find online are gonna sell you the est of the best, go in person and harras the hell out of these people and they will find something in your price range, just be sure to ask about commisions and extra fees upfront, everywhere is differnet, but basicly anyone who wants money just to show you listings is crazy and a thief, this scam is pulled very often in the states.

you know the "ya, give us four hunderd and well find you dream job/apartment types"
kerouacscabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 06:35 PM   #6
ChristianMisfit
Members

Thanks a bunch guys!!

This is a great Community, and it takes the ease out of going on my first trip, specially since it's gonna be solo!!
Old 12-16-2003, 09:01 PM   #7
Sijuki
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

It's amazing the things you find when you go poking around at old posts. This is helpful seeing as I am looking for a cheap place to crash for a month or so in the dead of winter, preferably somewhere cheap like Slovenia or one of the baltic states. To where if I decide to slip away for a week it won't matter, but just looking for some downtime to relax.

Or if anyone has any other suggestions of cheap places in Europe in February or so. :D

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote