Opinions por favor? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-11-2005, 10:31 AM   #1
blinkchick2134
TPunk Emeritus

As much as I hate taking up precious board space with asking for the opinions of you guys I need the advice. Because, well, all of you know where I'm coming from (traveler stuck in an evil boring world).

So as some of you may know I decided not to go to FDU (Fairleigh Dickinson Uni) next year. The reasons are a mix of my grades dropping due to living on campus (parties) and my $$ situation. So I have three choices that I'm honoring (other choices include taking off to do a rtw trip - im broke).

1) Tranfer to University of Delaware (close to home and cheaper). My best friend/travel buddy will be back from Switzerland in December so I'll be getting an apartment with her then. My dad has offered to help out with $$ for rent since college will be cheaper.

2) Go to Del Tech (community college near home). Super cheap (like a grand a semester) so I'd be able to afford a studio apartment and could move in Sept. I'd prefer to live solo rather than with a roommate (I like privacy and freedom).

3) I've applied for Americorps (think Peace Corp but local) and the next group starts in January. I'd take now thru Jan off and work as much as possible while living with my dad. Do Americorp for 10 monthes and then go back to plan 1 or 2. Also they pay for room and uniforms. I get a 200 bi weekly stripend and about a 5,000 scholarship at the end of my service.

Currently I'm leaning toward option 3....Anyone??

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:35 AM   #2
space virgin
Yoda

I'm liking options 1 or 3. Don't go to community college. Seriously.

Love,

Mom
Old 05-11-2005, 10:44 AM   #3
agriadam
TP Ghost

Send a message via AIM to agriadam

My vote is three. what an experience. this may be the only time you can do that as well. Do you think that after college your job will let you take off for ten months? I know my big dumb stupid dumb job won't let me take off more than the 6 weeks I told them I was leaving. Good luck, let us all know.

“Life is too short to spend it doing something you don't like... if your passion is selling surfboards by the sea, then that is where you should be.”
-My Dad

"Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once."
-Anthony Bourdain

“If you can imagine a man having a vasectomy without anesthetic to the sound of frantic sitar-playing, you will have some idea what popular Turkish music is like.”
-Bill Bryson

"The older I get the less likely I feel I will ever figure my life out... I think that might be okay though"
-Me
agriadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:46 AM   #4
TimmyJames1976
TPunk Recognized

U of D is a heck of a school. And yeah, like SV said, the comm. college thing is not so nice. I think they are great for those who are unsure about going to school, and starting there with the intention of transferring out in after 3 or 4 semesters, but if you have some credits under your belt, you don't want to work backwards.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:48 AM   #5
agriadam
TP Ghost

Send a message via AIM to agriadam

Quote:
Originally posted by TimmyJames1976@May 11 2005, 12:45 PM
U of D is a heck of a school.* And yeah, like SV said, the comm. college thing is not so nice.* I think they are great for those who are unsure about going to school, and starting there with the intention of transferring out in after 3 or 4 semesters, but if you have some credits under your belt, you don't want to work backwards.
Unless you get academically dismissed from a major uni and have to go to a comm college to build up your GPA

“Life is too short to spend it doing something you don't like... if your passion is selling surfboards by the sea, then that is where you should be.”
-My Dad

"Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once."
-Anthony Bourdain

“If you can imagine a man having a vasectomy without anesthetic to the sound of frantic sitar-playing, you will have some idea what popular Turkish music is like.”
-Bill Bryson

"The older I get the less likely I feel I will ever figure my life out... I think that might be okay though"
-Me
agriadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 11:04 AM   #6
TimmyJames1976
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by agriadam+May 11 2005, 10:47 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(agriadam @ May 11 2005, 10:47 AM)</div>
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-TimmyJames1976
Quote:
@May 11 2005, 12:45 PM
U of D is a heck of a school.* And yeah, like SV said, the comm. college thing is not so nice.* I think they are great for those who are unsure about going to school, and starting there with the intention of transferring out in after 3 or 4 semesters, but if you have some credits under your belt, you don't want to work backwards.
Unless you get academically dismissed from a major uni and have to go to a comm college to build up your GPA [/b]
HEHE...good point....my GPA was in bad shape when i was off and on at Penn State, so I had to take some computer classes to show I wasn't a moron before I could transfer into the uni i eventually graduated from...
Old 05-11-2005, 12:39 PM   #7
my retro career
TPunk Emeritus

"search your true feelings, my young Paduan......" Yoda the Retro telling his compatriot young Jedi trainee Blink on the matters of life.....
Old 05-11-2005, 06:01 PM   #8
Joker
You want fries with that?

Blink, I'm in a similar hell...

After much bullshit, I went back to school, moved out, and got a good job. I go to a community college here, but am in a very well-respected culinary program (better than the local 4-year culinary-only school in Baltimore that does externships in Ireland. Being Irish, I think thats cool, but when one thinks of Irish cuisine it revolves heavily around boiling food, potatoes, and copious amounts of alcohol to dull the senses to the godawful flavor. But I digress.) that feeds the Culinary Institute of America and Johnson & Wales regularly. Those are the two best culinary schools in the country. My best friend left the CC program recently to go to the CIA and is well-prepared.

Here's the thing- i can't afford a 4-year program since student loans only go so far. And I don't have time to go to to school 3-4 days a week. I work 60 hours a week and have 12 hours of class with two breaks totalling 2 hours in between every Thursday. Yeah, its hard, but its worth it. After a month in class, my chef instructor offered me a job at his restaurant, which is the best Italian restaurant in Baltimore 2004. Pretty prestigious, I'd say.

I live by myself, since my roommate lives with her bf, and still splits the rent. All said and done, CC was the way for me to go. I spent a year and half+ at Towson University partying and wasting my folks' money. Had no idea what I wanted to do and dropped out. Worked for several years before going back to school.

If you think that UDel will be any different than your current school with regards to partying, etc, you are sadly mistaken. When I went to Towson University some time ago, I used to drive to UDel to party on the weekends! It was and is that good of a party school.

Save some money by getting the GPA back up at the CC, and then transfer into the 4-year program once you've settled into what exactly you wanna do. I personally would like to go to CIA or J&W after my AA in Culinary Arts is finished, but we'll play that by ear.

As for AmeriCorps- thats a more personal decision, and the reality is that the $5K scholarship won't go far after 10 months. The experience, OTOH has to be incredible. I would consider it, but make sure that you are thinking down the road. How is that going to help you? What doors will it open for you? Is it a means to the end or something to pass the time?

(BTW, not trying to say I'm responsible and well-adjusted. hardly. i have 3 exams tomorrow and I'm fucking around on the innerweb. :D )

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 07:13 PM   #9
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Wow... here in Canada our education is partially subsidized, so our tutition rates aren't that high.

WHen i look at US tuition rates, I get tiny goosebumps on my arm. My advice, is to pull your bootstraps up, and work your ass off to get better grades. You can party, but don't do a keg-stand every week....you gotta bust your ass.

I am graduating in a few weeks, and MAN do i regret fucking up my first two years doing exactly that. I applied to grad school, and even though my final year GPA approaches a 3.7, they never forget the past man!

As Yoda says "Do or do not...there is no try". If you're in school...bust your ass to the best of your ability....if not, just get out there and work and go to school later. But if university is not your thing, just do college and get a job.

Whatever you do...its gotta be centered around your passions and what you like. Unless you have no passion...in which case, just get some moneys.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:42 PM   #10
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

I say 1 or 3 - I share the same view of community colleges. I started there a year or so after high school just so I could get in a four year. Unless you're planning on going for the cheaper tuition and covering gen eds, or getting your assocates in something that may be worthwhile, you're wasting your time.

As far as whether or not to stay in school or not, that depends - do you want to get your degree sometime? Do you think you'll go back if you take time off? Do you have loans out you'll have to defer?

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:50 PM   #11
Sijuki
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

As I am old, wise Rob (ranging from 24-42 in age).... I say go with #3 if nothing else is holding you back... you are young and should just take this oppurtunity to let loose. College can wait, its not a necessity (yeah i said it), and you may find that working for such a group is more in your line. But whatever you decide to do, best of luck.

I am gonna have to agree with the others, don't do the community college thing unless you have to or you have a specific goal.

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:35 AM   #12
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

My bro-in-law did Americorps after graduating college (tuition deferment!) and his post turned into a satisfying permanent paid position.
tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:43 AM   #13
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

I say take option #1...seriously. Get your college over with NOW. If you take time off, the likelihood of going back might be slim - you will get too caught up in the real world to go back to school. You can always do Americorps when you get out of college...or maybe in the summers. Balance out your partying with your schoolwork. Your grades from your freshmen year will never be seen, as your transcripts from U of D will be what you give potential employers, so take the opportunity to get some better grades. I cannot emphasize enough - get college out of the way now...its three more years...nothing in the grand scheme of things. You have the rest of your life after college to do whatever the hell you want. AND....I can tell you from experience....you will be happy you did!

(AND Definately forget community college.)

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:50 AM   #14
TimmyJames1976
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadian Bacon@May 11 2005, 07:12 PM
Wow... here in Canada our education is partially subsidized, so our tutition rates aren't that high.

WHen i look at US tuition rates, I get tiny goosebumps on my arm. My advice, is to pull your bootstraps up, and work your ass off to get better grades. You can party, but don't do a keg-stand every week....you gotta bust your ass.

I am graduating in a few weeks, and MAN do i regret fucking up my first two years doing exactly that. I applied to grad school, and even though my final year GPA approaches a 3.7, they never forget the past man!

As Yoda says "Do or do not...there is no try". If you're in school...bust your ass to the best of your ability....if not, just get out there and work and go to school later. But if university is not your thing, just do college and get a job.

Whatever you do...its gotta be centered around your passions and what you like. Unless you have no passion...in which case, just get some moneys.*
CB...can you ever just help someone or answer a question w/o passive agressively trashing the US? Seriously.

Anyways Blink....let us know what you decide!

And curbing the partying is a big thing.....just make a rule with yourself...like only go out of weekends and 1 weeknight....it helps because u still get the social life, but the grades dont suffer.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:11 AM   #15
Somnambulation
TPunk Emeritus

Yeah go with Uni first, option 1. Tons of people travel and do stuff like Americorps after they have a degree and it is tougher to go back later on.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:34 AM   #16
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
That is because everything in Canada is taxed to the nth degree so that tuition is subsidized...in addition to many other social programs.

Thanks, but I will gladly pay for my college tuition and keep our tax and social program situation under control. Besides, each state does actually subsidize their local state college...which is usually a decent school and which can be relatively inexpensive. Its the privates that are out of control...but people are not forced to go to those.

The ability to go to a prvate college is similar to the common occurrence of all the wealthy Canadians come down to the U.S. for healthcare........because they do not want to wait 9 months for an MRI. Pros and cons to everything.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:40 AM   #17
Somnambulation
TPunk Emeritus

Hehe, but free healthcare and subsidized ducation sounds so good on paper!
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:49 PM   #18
Joker
You want fries with that?

Quote:
Originally posted by Somnambulation@May 12 2005, 10:39 AM
Hehe, but free healthcare and subsidized ducation sounds so good on paper!
Brief aside:

Assuming that the feds subsidized education through increased availability of Pell Grants, the general baseline cost of education in this country would rise, since the govn't is going to pay for a chunk of it. (supply and demand in a capitalist country. if people have more money, then you can charge more for the same product). Same with allowing a tax deduction dollar for dollar for tuition. Private colleges and even state schools could up the costs since that money is getting deducted, anyway.

Because our neighbors to the North have a much wider-spread social safety net of programs and much higher taxes, they have programs in place to handle those sorts of things. The trade off is the higher taxes, etc, for the social safety net. Not always good, not always bad.

But, the US govn't does offer help in the form of need-based grants like the Pell Grants, various state and local, and even federal scholarships to those that apply for them (they are easily obtainable, contact your local representative), and student loans at LOW fixed interest rates that aren't payable until 10 years after graduation. So there are ways for the average person to go to school. I personally am up to my asshole in student loans, but its the only way I could afford culinary school.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled favorite BlinkChick's dilemma...

How far off are you from completion of your GenEd's?

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:41 PM   #19
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Joker - I'm so confused by your post; did you mean that the US does offer those? Because I got to a private school and through different grants etc, loans only cover a few grand of my tuition.

I'm just posting a ps to this instead of a new post. Reread your post - know what you mean. you said they do. And the US does offer wonderful incentives for college students.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:59 PM   #20
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

I didn't read everyone elses reply, but 3, of course 3!!!!! From what I know of you from our time spent together, it would be a great experience for you. It will be something you'll never regret and always look back on as an influencial time

DO IT!

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote