rent a car? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-03-2005, 06:56 PM   #1
caterpillarsgirl
Members

Send a message via AIM to caterpillarsgirl

We'll be staying in Nice for about a week, and it was suggested to me by the lady who runs the hostel I booked with to rent a car for a day and drive around the surrounding country, which I'm sure is breathtakingly beautiful.
Is this advisable? Has anyone done this, in any city? Would my American drivers license be accepted over there? Are the cars different besides the drivers' side being on the right? More than anything, is it really expensive?

caterpillarsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:07 AM   #2
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Normally, renting a car (especially if traveling solo) is an expensive option. When you have a number of folks, there is a break point where it becomes cheaper than public transport -- not to mention more convenient. I'm not sure how many are involved in your "We."

I'd say do some searches online, "France - car rental" or whatever, and see what you can come up with. If it fits in with your budget, go for it.

And if you do drive over there, be warned their road system truly epitomizes the phrase my architect friend taught me: "The French copy no one, and no one copies the French." If on anything but the major highways, you will constantly be shuttled onto these little roundabouts. And once you get on those roundabouts, you have to make sure you choose the right exit off of it. Sometimes there will be more than one route going to the same city you're headed to. The signs are color coded by the type of road, and you could end up taking the "slow road" to Marseille, instead of the highway. So, unlike in the U.S. where you can, say, get on U.S. Rt. 315 and not worry about navigating till you get to I-270, in France, the navigator has to constantly be on their toes. However, I would not let this influence my decision whether to rent a car or not. It's just an idiosyncrasy to be aware of and prepared for.

And yes, you can drive over there with your U.S. license. You do NOT need to buy that scam of an "International Drivers License."

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:35 AM   #3
my retro career
TPunk Emeritus

I'd say - DO IT!

Although I haven't yet driven around Europe (except in Britain) my cousin & my brother have rented cars and driven all over France, and Europe.

It's a little different and surely there will be different things to look out for, like WWM said, but it's all in the "new experience package" and along with it comes a new sense of adventure...

I don't remember about the Intl drivers license requirement - wwm is probably right - but I do remember both my cousin & brother recommended to me that it's cheaper to book your rental ahead of time, before your arrival.

Parking in the city can be a tedious task; do some light research on it beforehand. Best bet is to seek out the large companies like Hertz who can offer you some info, even though you may or may not rent a vehicle from them, as there are probably cheaper alternatives. But the idea of car rental is to be able to freely drive all over the surrounding area and not driving in the city - where I would NOT recommend.

Petrol is also more expensive; do take that into consideraton. Overall, it's a more expensive option when compared to public transport, but it will bring a new degree of excitement..!
Old 05-04-2005, 08:36 AM   #4
GoKrazy
TPunk Camping Addict

We thought about renting a car for a few days during out upcoming trip too, but we decided against it. In Europe gas is expensive, parking is scarce at best, other drivers are psychotic, not to mention that since I wouldn't be familiar with the local roads there is always the possibility of getting lost, which is plain old frustrating. For any day trops into the country we opted to take trains or busses and walking once we get there.

If you've set you heart on it, then go for it, but be aware that a car brings on more things to worry about. Best of luck!
Old 05-04-2005, 10:45 AM   #5
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

I have never regretted the times I have rented a car while on a trip. It costs, but is great, b/c you can do whatever!

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:04 AM   #6
caterpillarsgirl
Members

Send a message via AIM to caterpillarsgirl

Thanks for the replies! It will be just me and my boyfriend, and only for a day if we do it. I found some online quotes, and it'll be about $100 for one day (because we're both under 25 ), and the cost of petrol right now in France is 1.10, euros. Not an impossible cost, but definetly a splurge! It would be really cool to see what driving is like over there, and to take a long scenic drive down the coast... Not entirely sold yet, but I have a clearer picture now.
Are the pedals still in the same order in those cars, or are they reversed as well? I'm wondering how weird it will be, especially with the manuals, I'm dyslexic enough as it is!

caterpillarsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 05:07 AM   #7
starpiste
Members

Location: From Vancouver, Canada but living in Nottingham, UK
Send a message via MSN to starpiste Send a message via Yahoo to starpiste

I was on a trip with my mother last month and we rented a car in England for 4 days of a two week trip. It was very much worth the cost.

We saw all sorts of small towns and scenery we wouldn't have been able to see otherwise. We stayed on smaller roads just becasue we saw more that way and avoided big cities when possible. If there was a bigger city we wanted to see we parked as soon as possible and walked around it. The flexibilty granted by not worrying aout bus or train times was also really nice.

If you're nervous about driving pick up the car after you've been there a few days. That way you have a chance to see how people drive and how they interact with pedestrians and how closely they follow stop lights and little things like that.
starpiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:03 AM   #8
my retro career
TPunk Emeritus

$100 bucks a day is definitely expensive but if you can afford it then go for it...just for doing something different...

And yes...the pedals are all in the same order as all left-handed cars in the world fyi...
Old 04-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
christophermartin

Rental costs were not as you think. In fact, if you plan to go to a destination, you should be able to book cars in advance. Your travel agent should be able to help you in this case.