Passport and Schedualling - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Travel Formalities

Travel Formalities #@&##@ ! Paperwork, paperwork ! Help me out !

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-19-2005, 10:28 AM   #1
elfmaiden
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to elfmaiden

Okay, I know that the sooner you buy your plane ticket the cheaper they generally are. Tickets keep going up 'n up in price the closer I get to my departure date. Now I have the cash to buy the tix, that's the not the problem. My passport is still off in limbo!

Are passports regulary turned down? I sent it in about a month ago and have until August before my trip. Did I not leave enough time? Should I just buy my plane ticket and maybe purchase the cancellation insurance just in case?

Or should I sit tight and stop my worryin' 'cause it'll only get worse! lol. Thanks!

Jenn
Old 04-19-2005, 10:42 AM   #2
TimmyJames1976
TPunk Recognized

from your flapping canadian flag i take it you are a canuck...so my answer may not help, but in the US they told me 6-8 weeks, and i got it in 4...so if it doesnt come in a few weeks id worry, but for now you should be ok
Old 04-19-2005, 11:15 AM   #3
elfmaiden
TPunk Emeritus

Well their website says 20 working days once they've received it. I figure 2 weeks (over guessing) for them to get it. Well it's good to know that at least the American system is workin' alright for some people. Give some hope! :D

Jenn
Old 04-19-2005, 12:58 PM   #4
d_fresh
TPunk Emeritus

do you live close to a passport office? my passport (canadian) took a week, my wife's took a little over a week. try getting in touch with them and find out whats going on.
it shouldn't take long at all.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:12 PM   #5
elfmaiden
TPunk Emeritus

Nah I don't live close and when I called (I am using a different application than the newest one too) I got the message.

"I'm sorry, there are no representatives available and unfortunately there is no more room left to hold. Please callback later." Needless to say :greenguy: . I'll wait it out and I think I'll buy my ticket soon before the prices get jacked again, but blow my cash on the cancellation option. Just in case! Better to lose $50 than a G!

Jenn
Old 04-19-2005, 09:06 PM   #6
LostFarmboy
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

You really need to get in contact with the passport office. My mum was waiting for her passport for about a month, then she rang up and asked what was going on and they said that had been sitting there for weeks waiting to be picked up but they had forgotten to ring and tell her.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:02 PM   #7
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

I've never heard of anyone getting denied a passport. Hmmm.. I didn't know they could do that. I'd call them, then decide whether to purchase the insurance or not. Like you said though, better to lose the 50 then whatever your tix cost. We're lucky in the fact that ours were dirt cheap, so I was never too concerned.

I'm waiting to get mine back. I'm such an idiot - got married almost three years ago and never changed the name on my pport. I actually just hyphenated my last name but still have go through that process of getting his name added to mine. I mailed it out a couple weeks ago and just got the same envelope in the mail yesterday saying it was sent to the addendum people and then returned cuz of 23c shortage on postage!! it had MADE it there then had to be returned. So, they made me lose my stamp and everything. Bastards.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:25 AM   #8
agriadam
TP Ghost

Send a message via AIM to agriadam

The only time I've heard of someone being denied a passport was if you filled out something wrong then they just had to reapply and they got it.

If you don't think that your tix will raise more than 50 buck in the next two weeks just wait it out, if you think that they will raise more the 50 than buy them and the travel insurance. good luck your passport will come I can almost guarantee it (unless you have a warrant out for your arrest or are an illegal Alien)

“Life is too short to spend it doing something you don't like... if your passion is selling surfboards by the sea, then that is where you should be.”
-My Dad

"Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once."
-Anthony Bourdain

“If you can imagine a man having a vasectomy without anesthetic to the sound of frantic sitar-playing, you will have some idea what popular Turkish music is like.”
-Bill Bryson

"The older I get the less likely I feel I will ever figure my life out... I think that might be okay though"
-Me
agriadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 08:09 AM   #9
elfmaiden
TPunk Emeritus

So I guess it's bad if I'm an illegal alien and wanted in several countries? Hee hee. I won't be going to the passport office to pick it up 'cause i"m too far away. I have to wait for it to be mailed.

That completely sucks about the postage! I think I put enough! *I hope I put enough!*

I found out that if you call the passport office and ask the status of your application it actually delays the process since they have to pull it out of their junk pile. :S I think hearing everything I shall sit tight and try to find out how long the fares are going to be valid for.

Thanks!

Jenn
Old 04-20-2005, 09:31 AM   #10
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

If worse comes to worse, couldn't you just change the date of your ticket? It usually costs a fee, maybe $100 (which I guess is more than trip ins) but unless there are crazy restrictions, you can usually do this. Check the fine print. Your passport will come in on time anyway...don't sweat it. Its only April.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 10:40 AM   #11
elfmaiden
TPunk Emeritus

Update!

Well I checked my back account today and it looks like they've pull the payment for my passport of my Visa already. I guess that's a good sign! Although now my supervisor is like "You can only take two weeks off..." Fortunately the big boss is like "Oh, 5 week, just have fun and come back!" So I think things should be all good. :D

Thanks guys for calming the nervous canadian.

Jenn
Old 04-22-2005, 02:06 PM   #12
GoKrazy
TPunk Camping Addict

Thanks for the info... I'm going to be getting my Canadian passport soon and this thread answered a lot of my questions.