Packing Tips! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-14-2005, 12:37 PM   #1
foofiter
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Send a message via AIM to foofiter Send a message via MSN to foofiter Send a message via Yahoo to foofiter Send a message via Skype™ to foofiter
Exclamation

I am now working on my packing list. It will be exhaustive and conservative. I am looking for items you would take with you if you were to travel the entire world for the rest of your life (ie have no home of your own and live on the road). Please help me to fill in any blanks that you see.

Here are the general areas that I wish to cover:

Clothes (Winter and summer)

2 T-shirts
1 button-up long sleeve shirt (cold weather, dressier times)
1 pair shorts (cargo or khaki)
1 pair dockers (stain defenders, worth the money!)
1 pair of comfortable shoes
1 pair flip flops (light and very useful)
4 pair of boxers
1 pair of long john bottoms
5 pairs of socks
1 pair lightweight gloves
1 pair sunglasses
1 leather belt

I need:

Suggestions for lightweight, packable cold weather jacket
anything else I missed

Toiletries (completed)

no need to list, everyone is different!

Technology

Laptop computer (5.5lbs or less)
iPod (doubles as external drive and entertainment)
Thumb drive (for backup and internet cafes)
Digital Camera (w/ extra memory cards & reader)
Worldwide power converter
extra AA batteries

I need:

anything else that I missed

Food

1 MRE (military ration for emergency)
Water at all times
Gum/candy
small snacks (for long walks, etc)
camping mess kit for cooking
hotplate for cooking (electric)
small amounts of various spices

I need:

anything else that i missed

Rain Gear

Poncho for emergency and for bag
small umbrella (mine is 6 ounces!)

I need:

Good, lightweight, packable rain jacket
anything else I missed

Security/Survival

Locks for bag
Combo lock for lockers and door hasp
Swiss Army Knife
Lighter & matches
Candle (for light and heat--keeps you alive in cold!)
sewing kit
compass
guidebook for current region
plastic bags for wet/small items and easy organization
copy of all documents
money belt for credit cards, cash, t. checks, passport, etc..

I need:

Anything else I missed

Medicine/Health

Vitamins
Tylenol
Immodium
Excedrin (hangovers!)
First Aid Kit
Pocket Doctor (passport sized med book)

I need:

anything else I missed

Please contribute! I am striving for that elusive perfect list and I know that i will never get there completely but i want to have a good start at least. Thanks!

foofiter

"Eat healthy, exercise daily, die anyway" -- My motto
"Everyone I know, goes away, in the end...I will let you down, I will make you hurt..." -- Johnny Cash (NIN Cover of "Hurt")

I am traveling around the world until I find something that makes me want to stop. I am an aspiring photographer and hope to find whatever it is I am looking for...
foofiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 12:52 PM   #2
agriadam
TP Ghost

Send a message via AIM to agriadam

Quote:
"It's 5am. You just pissed on a dumpster. It's Miller time." -- Robin Williams
first off I love that comic routine, it's probably one of the funniest...

back to the point your list looks real good from my point of view, I'll have to wait till I get home and compare it to mine see if maybe I have something elso on their... you said that you were going to take a mess kit. are you staying in hostles or are you camping, if your camping you might want a tent and a sleeping bag. also if you're never returning home than I might suggest the investment in a small lightweight tent and sleeping bag. and comfortable shoes.

“Life is too short to spend it doing something you don't like... if your passion is selling surfboards by the sea, then that is where you should be.”
-My Dad

"Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once."
-Anthony Bourdain

“If you can imagine a man having a vasectomy without anesthetic to the sound of frantic sitar-playing, you will have some idea what popular Turkish music is like.”
-Bill Bryson

"The older I get the less likely I feel I will ever figure my life out... I think that might be okay though"
-Me
agriadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 01:05 PM   #3
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

I would keep in mind that generally shorts=tourist

Personally i don't think khaki cargo pants can be beat. If it was me I would wear something like this
hiking boots
khaki cargo
white or blue tshirt
"traveler" type long-sleeve
and a sarong and a pair of flip-flops for chilling times.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:10 PM   #4
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

oh just for reference thats me in the middle and Phinehas on the right...
Old 04-14-2005, 02:11 PM   #5
space virgin
Yoda

To your right in the picture or on the right hand side of the picture? Cause somehow I didn't imagine him looking like Penelope Cruz.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:08 PM   #6
foofiter
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Send a message via AIM to foofiter Send a message via MSN to foofiter Send a message via Yahoo to foofiter Send a message via Skype™ to foofiter
Exclamation

Here's some more info:

I will not be camping. Just hostels and hotels (in cheaper places like Asia)
I have contemplated camping gear but I thought about it and I would be lugging it around all the time even when I didn't need it. I have decided that if I really wish to camp I can rough it or buy it on the road then hopefully be able to sell it.

The shorts are for tropical areas, swimming, and showering. I plan to wear the pants most of the time

And yes I am trying to get this post back on topic!

foofiter

"Everyone I know, goes away, in the end...I will let you down, I will make you hurt..." -- Johnny Cash (NIN Cover of "Hurt")

I am traveling around the world until I find something that makes me want to stop. I am an aspiring photographer and hope to find whatever it is I am looking for...
Old 04-19-2005, 12:10 PM   #7
foofiter
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

anyone got any sources for packable winter coat and rain gear? I got the umbrella but want some real gear for more extreme environments. Only packable jacket that I have right now is my fleece. Ideas?

foofiter

Old 04-21-2005, 02:30 PM   #8
showtimestafford
Members

Send a message via Yahoo to showtimestafford

Regatta Jacket
That jacket looks not bad, light weight, cheap, you do have regatta in the US right?

also Outdoorscene do a good selection.

Hope this helps with jackets.

Go Here and download this game, you will never look back...
showtimestafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 08:15 AM   #9
MolsonGirl
Drifter in the making.

I have two things on my list that I WOULD NEVER leave behind that you've missed here.

Ductape... just for... well... EVERYTHING. I used it to fix a leaky faucet once when the desk people didn't seem to care too much about the eminent flood in my room it fixes everything and can be used for anything

I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive.
~ Jane Austen in a Letter (1811-05-31)
MolsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:39 PM   #10
foofiter
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Exclamation

Thanks guys! I have added all of those to my list! Keep the goodies coming!

foofiter