Thailand 2005 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Asia

Asia Truly...a different world. Kazakhstan, Japan, and everything in between. Mekong River, Central Asia deserts, sticky rice, ancient traditions, temples, tuk-tuk...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 09-06-2003, 01:55 PM   #1
TUI
Members

Send a message via MSN to TUI Send a message via Yahoo to TUI

I know its early but Im strongly considering Thailand for New Years of 2005. Anybody got any tips hints or comments?
Old 02-06-2004, 09:13 AM   #2
joanofarc
Weasel Jones

not yet, but instead of heading back to europe, i think my next holiday will be to thailand - exotic, but well traveled... i'll get back to you in september...
Old 02-06-2004, 12:13 PM   #3
TUI
Members

thanks Joan, and smoke one for me too!
Old 02-07-2004, 02:13 AM   #4
BAussie
Members

try Hat Rin Beach, Ko Pha-Ngan an Island in the southern Thailand, it has hugh full moon parties.
always wanted to see what a new year's party there was like.
know there is gooood!! cheap smoko in north Thailand if you go on the right Treck
eveything is cheap in thailand, if you go, you should try Sang Som, a thai Rum
Old 02-09-2004, 04:20 AM   #5
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Thailand's great, TUI, you'll love it. I'd say plan on packing the coolest (temperature wise) clothes you can find, cause it is HOTTT! Within an hour of leaving the hotel, I felt like I needed another shower. I have these linen pants that are fairly cool, so that helped. Jeans would be unbearable.

Also, you can bargain with the tuk tuk drivers in Bangkok for "all day tours" to see the sights. A tuk tuk is like a souped up golf cart. Another great way to see the sights of Bangkok is to use the Chao Phraya River Express. Bascially, it is the city's bus service running up and down the river. Nice and quiet, away from the noisy smelly city traffic, and hits most the major temples. I recommend it highly.

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 09:14 AM   #6
joanofarc
Weasel Jones

i'm really hoping to find some nice chill island with NO full moon party type of action going on... a few nice bars and miles of beach would be perfect...

hey wwm, the tuk tuks don't end up choking you to death, i mean, all the exhaust and all? i imagined i'd be bussing it all day...or taking the sky train...
Old 02-10-2004, 12:06 AM   #7
urOZm8
TPunk Emeritus

hey joan if you take the tuk tuk you may end up under one of those buses!!! A friend said they are cerrazzzzy! But a must do. Ill be on one when Im there next month
Old 02-10-2004, 08:17 AM   #8
joanofarc
Weasel Jones

Red face

yes, perfect!

i'm getting my ticket the first week of march - vacationing for almost 3 weeks in the month of august... i'll be anxiously awaiting your safe return and your stories!!

Take notes, dude!

**and you know me (nerd)... i found this cool website all about thai travel, it even includes a whole language forum - anyway, i think it's easy to navigate and informative.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:07 PM   #9
butternut punkin
Members

Send a message via Yahoo to butternut punkin

hiya, umm. Ok. Just spent best part of six weeks in Thailand. Tuk Tuks are crazy but really not too bad. Songthoughs (spelt wrong, sorry) are like a pick up truck with bench seats and they get really fumy. If you are prone to travel sickness try to sit in the front if yu are on them for any period of time. They are great though as you can easily see out and they are really breasy. Koh Samui is a great island. Bit touristy and gimmicky but you can get away from all that if you want. Tha lady boys are a lot of fun and much more friendly than the dancing/ping pong girls. Matlang resort has affordable bungalos and the staff were so friendly. About 5 hours away is Ray Lay beach (just off Krabi) which was amazing and so beautiful. It is near where the Beach was filmed and you can actually get out there on a day trip but it was a bit touristy for me and I was over group tours. There Is an incredable Muslum village which if you don't mind extreemly basic it is an amazing place to stay for the night. Best breakfast. Very sweet but yum!! Ummm notheren Thatiland was equally amazing but for different reasons. I did a four day hill tribe treck and apart form getting a bit sad about the poverty and lack of medical available to the people it was seriousally the most incredable experience. Part of it was pride in my own personal achievements but it weally was worthwhile.

Ummmm, ok dribbling a bit, I appologise. One last thing and then I will shut up. The sex industry is crazy over there. I don't know what you are into and I appologise if I offend or upset anybody but for most of the trip I was embarrased to be white because of the way white men treated the women ove there. I happen to believe that all people are equal and most are wonderfull. Our money or race should not make us above or dominating to another race. It really offended me at times.

Apart form that it was really an awesome experience. i did it very basic and on quite a tight budget and had a great time. The Thai people are so friendly and welcoming, sometimes way more than we deserve. THe food is unforgettable. Best fish in the world. I am from QLD in Oz so I did not find it too hot but you can easily find some airconditioning or get into the sea. I am sure you will have an amazing time.

Oh yea, can't forget thai massages 200b for an hour about $8au best ever. I was getting two a day at one stage!
Old 02-15-2004, 08:40 PM   #10
Kassandra13
T-PUNK RANGER

Send a message via AIM to Kassandra13 Send a message via Yahoo to Kassandra13

Ok, now I really want to go to Thailand.

Damn this travel bug!
Old 02-17-2004, 03:50 PM   #11
joanofarc
Weasel Jones

i noticed for a while you hadn't been online butternut - i'm so glad this is why!

i'll surely be bugging the hell (did i say that outloud?) of you toward august for more info.

thanks for saying that about koh samui too - i had kind of written it off as a way too touristy island (and what nerve i have.... )
Old 02-19-2004, 10:40 PM   #12
butternut punkin
Members

Feel free to ask any questions. It really is an interesting and exciting place. Well worth a look.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:12 AM   #13
Carisia
TPunk Recognized

Welcome back BP! Thanks for sharing such good info. about your great trip! I can't wait for my turn to go to! I hope it will be soon! Can you tell us a little more about the food? I'm vegetarian, will I have choices? Where did you eat? I heard from someone that there are these great stalls off the streets and the food is incredible and really cheap! Also, where did you stay? Did you travel alone? How was it as a woman? Welcome back again!
Carisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 08:03 AM   #14
joanofarc
Weasel Jones

yeah, i'm not vegetarian, but i plan to be while in thailand - i hear that china town in bangkok has tons of vegetarian food stalls - a whole street of them...
Old 02-23-2004, 10:39 PM   #15
butternut punkin
Members

Carisia, I am a vegetarian as well, and ummmm, well it was a battle. A lot of the food, even though it claims to be veggie, is actually cooked in fish sauce or something similar. I have not eaten meat since i was about 8 and at home normally eat quite light meals so I found it bloated my poor tummy out of all proportions (not a good look when trying to look attractive in a bikini at the beach!!) I ate heaps of fresh fruit and raw vegies. Salads are a bit iffy as they may be washed in water that is not the same as at home and therefor will go straight through you but at the same time I ate heaps of them and was reasionably fine. Take heaps of tablets for upset tummy and if you are even remotly prone to it take stuff for thrush as it is very embarrasing trying to get medication from a chemist who speeks no english (I had to act it out, once again, not a good look!). Anyway, back to eating, there are lots of places to get a western feed as well as thai, pizza etc but thais are not italian thus do not make the best pizza! If you can get the lonley planet thai phrasebook there are all the words for vegetarian food, something to do with jay but if you go with an open mind and can pretend that you can't taste fish on your vegie noodles then all will be super, if not the fruit is great and it will be super anyway!!
Old 02-23-2004, 10:49 PM   #16
butternut punkin
Members

oh yea, forgot to answer all of your question. I ate from some of the street stalls but my vegetarian aniality did not let me eat much. I actually had a bandanna to cover my nose and mouth at some markets and there was just rows and rows of cow and fish and god knows what with flys and other yuckies all over it. Hope that does not scare you but I would have loved to have been warned. Bandannas are dirt cheep there though so wait till you are there to get one.

I travelled for some of it alone and some with a group. I actually loved traveling alone. In the group I felt safe and did heaps of stuff that I would not have done without them. Being alone gave me the most amazing sence of achievement, yep, I went there and came home relatively unscarred, I won't say unchanged as that is far from the truth! At all times I felt safe. There were a few moments that I was not comfortable but that is different, in my mind, to being unsafe. I wrote a story in the stories section, you might like to have a look at that! I have now booked a ticket to Egypt for the end of the year and I have started going to the gym and trying to get a lot fitter and stronger. That was the only thing I really struggled with. I am not a big person and eventhough I did not overpack my backpack i found I was not really srtong enough to carry it as far and as quickly as I would have liked. I really have to go to a lecture now but if you have anyother questions please feel free to ask.
Bye
Old 03-12-2004, 12:04 PM   #17
ladylight
Members

Thailand, I love the south. There are a lot of beautiful beaches and islands.
Check this out http://www.kohtao.com/
it's one of my favourite.

New year in Thailand's not bad, it's not too damn hot.
ladylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 12:12 PM   #18
TUI
Members

hey thanks peeps! Im still quite unsure on it. You have for sure sold me on its beauty

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS ladylight
Old 03-15-2004, 11:50 AM   #19
ladylight
Members

Thanks TUI for your welcome. It was my first time to join the board and felt in love with it. You'll be my guess if you want to know more about Thailand because it's my home.
ladylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:25 PM   #20
Bgirl
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Yahoo to Bgirl

BP we have a beach in Brazil very similar to these Thailand beachs. It's awesome!!!... It's Fernando de Noronha beach. You feel you're in heaven! And in Thailand!
You can check the pics here http://images.google.com/images?q=fernando...-8&start=0&sa=N