Cancun! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Mexico
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Mexico Cancun, enchiladas, Tiajuana, Aztecas, Mayans, and chupacabras...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-20-2005, 11:23 PM   #1
byler
Members

Send a message via AIM to byler

Going to Cancun in 6 days -- never been to Mexico. Any advice/tips/etc? Our package is all-inclusive... I heard that if you don't tip, the bartenders will ignore you. Anything I need to see, any special things to remember?

Gracias!!!

Byler
byler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 03:16 AM   #2
bellelass
I'll rock your socks off

Nothing in particular comes to mind, dont drink the water probably. Since you're going with a package to a very touristed spot I would worry too much about cultural differences. Have fun!
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 06:26 AM   #3
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

All inclusive resort huh??? Well you right and wrong about the tipping thing.

The priciples of a all inclusive resort are pretty much the same the world over. When it comes to tipping and showing appreciation, you will get what you give. If you tip well, you will be treated really really well, but if you do not tip so well, then you should not be treated poorly, but don't expect anything special from the staff.

Pick 2 employees (waiter/bar tender/concierge) on different shifts and tip them really well, they will look after you for the whole time you are there. If you stat to tip EVRYONE then you will be broke. Tip you room keeper, about 2$ for every day you are there...that is at the end of your stay. If the house keeper did not do that great a job then 1$ a night is accepable

Most resorts have more than one bar, hang out at the same bar and get to know the bar tender, your drinks will be better, and he will have contacts through out the resort for things you might need, including visiits to a local club, or a tour through a near by down that the other tourist don't get to do.

Hope that helps....let us know how it goes!!!

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 11:35 AM   #4
byler
Members

since it's so touristy, should I exchange my american dollars for pesos? I plan on not carrying a lot of cash with me (like under a hundred dollars... we'll be there 5 days 4 nights), because the resort is all inclusive (food and drinks), is this wise? I'll have my credit card for emergencies, but honestly, I don't plan on taking very much cash at all... this this a bad idea?
Old 02-21-2005, 01:31 PM   #5
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

I would do a half and half exchange. Half what money you have in US dollars, and half in Peso. I don't know how it works in Mexico, butin the Dominican, American dollars seemed to get more done...I would have to say tip in us dollars, and anything you want to puchace, use Peso.

And no, you do not need a whack of money, but ALL INCLUSIVE does have some costs. Rental of equipment, Tours, Any Thing You Do Off The Resort, Some resorts have fancy "pay" resturadnts of "nice" dinners out, other wise its buffet every night most likley.

Oh ya... GET YOUR HEPATITIS A & B SHOT BEFORE YOU GO!! you can catch it from something as simple as a tainted ice cube in your drink.

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:04 AM   #6
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

And get your butt over to Chichen Itza for a day trip to see some awesome Mayan ruins.

I haven't been to that particular site, but here's a taste of one of my fave Mayan temples (in Guatemala):

Have fun!
worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:20 PM   #7
ChasinJason1313
TPunk Recognized

I've been to Chichen Itza and they're really cool. Touristy as hell but if it's yer only chance to see some ruins, do it. There are iguanas EVERYWHERE.

Just north of Cancun there is a go kart track. My buddy and I went there and had a blast. these are the real go karts that go 50 or 60mph. It's a lot of fun.

Also, you have to go to fat tuesday's and they also have a boat trip from fat tuedays out to a little tiny island in the bay.

Go snorkeling or diving. There are also some really cool kayak/snorkel trips you can take.

Have fun. I went there for my senior trip in high school and danced about 6 hours a night for 6 nights. I perfected the art of dancing with out moving my feet after about the 3rd night. It's fun as hell tho.

Let us know what happens and post pics

Jason

The beauty of this world will last
Much longer than its men
No need for man to test this fact
Enjoy the view instead----Me(Part of a longer poem)
ChasinJason1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:42 AM   #8
byler
Members

Thanks for all the tips guys! I will definately post pics when I get back! I'm getting really excited! This is going to be the least money I ever spend on a trip... I think I'm only taking a hundred bucks with me, and then a credit card just in case... But this poor college kid will have the time of her life none the less!
Old 02-23-2005, 01:30 PM   #9
friar
Members

If you want to get away from the crowded beaches head to the southern end of the hotel strip, the northern beaches are usually packed. But if you're looking to party down and get rowdy with some attractive looking folks, then you northern half is probably where you'll want to be.

There's some good snorkeling and a mini-reef off the coast near club med. You can access the beach there without being a guest. Also if you buy a bus trip/tour to Chichen Itza dont buy it from the people on the street, chances are they'll never show up at your hotel to pick you up. Buy it from the agent where you're staying, the price will be a bit more but you'll get an air conditioned bus and a good lunch included. Also make sure the tour stops at the cenote to go swimming, its pretty awesome and there are some good ledges to dive off.

Try going to Isla Mujeres for a day. Its only a short boat ride out and the island is really cool. The beaches there are less crowded, and stuff is generally cheaper. If you want you can rent a scooter and put around the whole island in a couple hours. There was a happy hour that lasted from 12-12 when I was there, 2 beers for $1. Also there's one cool restaurant that has loads of hammocks set up and these cool showers that use abalone shells as shower heads, and they dont charge you to lounge around like every other place does. Make sure you get yourself some cheap lobster too.

And remember bug repelant, the mosquitos can be rough at night.
friar is offline   Reply With Quote