meditation - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-19-2005, 08:03 PM   #1
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Ok Kids Jake wants to start and is curious to see how many tpunker practice meditation.

Any suggestions or tips please pass along. All snide remarks can be directed to the complaint department.

Old 02-19-2005, 08:08 PM   #2
TimmyJames1976
TPunk Recognized

you know...i should start too. i took an acting class in college, and my crack pot crazy ass prof made us do all these excerises in the beginning of class...turned out to be a lot of yoga, and some relaxation and meditation stuff too...and at first i thought she just did too much lsd in the 60's, but i'll tell you what...30 minutes of it and i felt better then a good nights sleep. i'm sure there has to be a butt load of info online...or the local library...but yeah...it sounds like a damn good idea and i think i'll start as well. and also, i know i mentioned butt load earlier, but i am not sure what exactly quantifies a butt load.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
TimmyJames1976
TPunk Recognized

here is some basic stuff...seems like a lot of the breathing is similar to yoga breathing...but i'm no expert

meditation
Old 02-19-2005, 08:37 PM   #4
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

yea i've pretty much scoured the net. I just want to hear what tpunks have to say bout it ya know?
Old 02-19-2005, 08:45 PM   #5
Blakeimus
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Blakeimus

I practice internal energy forms like Yin Jin Jing and Rou Chin and i meditate evreynight to get into a lucid dreaming state.
Blakeimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 08:48 PM   #6
space virgin
Yoda

I've only done some informal, untutored meditation (meaning I don't know what the hell I'm doing.) However, I do get some serious meditation time through doing henna or painting... so much so that sometimes, at festivals or other high-traffic events, I'll "come up for air" for a minute and realize that 4 or 5 hours have passed-- that's probably 100 people or so. That's also the reason that I pay my best friend very good money to be my booth bitch at larger gigs-- I'm pretty useless for conversation while in the zone. Usually I come out of it with a really stiff neck and an occasional back ache because of all the contortions, but I feel oddly energized.

It may not be "official" meditation but it works for me.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:01 PM   #7
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Quote:
i took an acting class in college, and my crack pot crazy ass prof made us do all these excerises in the beginning of class...turned out to be a lot of yoga
I took an acting class last semester for fun and we did a lot of stuff like that at the beginning of classes as well. I realized it was to relax us so we could "concentrate" on what we were doing. It did work.

Quote:
I've only done some informal, untutored meditation (meaning I don't know what the hell I'm doing.)
I agree. I just got back into meditating and love it. I took a class on how much mental stuff (anxiety, depression, stress) can affect your health and I've been feeling all of those things so much lately that I just wanted a natural way to deal. Besides exercise, mediation works so well. It just gives me a time to NOT THINK. Even five minutes makes my body feel so much better.

I don't know the "right" ways to do it, but when I do it my way it works.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 09:03 PM   #8
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Quote:
and i meditate evreynight to get into a lucid dreaming state.
Can you elaborate? What exactly is lucid dream state?

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 09:08 PM   #9
Blakeimus
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Blakeimus

dreaming with full conscious knowing your dreaming, and altering your dream. i have sex with whoever i want whenever i want wherever i want MUHAHA ;]
Blakeimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 09:12 PM   #10
TimmyJames1976
TPunk Recognized

a lucid dream is a type of dream in which you actually become concious (did i spell that right?) while in your dream. some people can only then control their own actions, while some manage to actually control most of their dream surroundings as well. it's a kick ass experience. i tend to be able to control my actions in them, and the only way that i can really explain it is to compare it to starring in a movie. it's very trippy and feels very real. i've had them for ever, since i was a wee lad. only about a year ago i did some research on dreams and found out they had a name for that kind of dream. i have mine without any effort, but some people can kinda meditate into them like blake said. its very cool, but the downside, for me anyway, is i usually fell like death the next day, like i didn't get any sleep. not all the time, but sometimes. anyways, happy dreamin' ya'll!!
Old 02-22-2005, 01:24 AM   #11
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Well, there are two types of meditation that I go for, depending on what I want. I if I just want to shut my mind off and forget about all my stress, etc., I do what my boss started doing after his heart-attack: I focus repeatedly on a two-syllable word ending with "ing" - doesn't matter what it is, as you're not supposed to think about the word or what it means, but just repeat it in your head (or out loud) to create a rhythmic pattern.

The other type that I sometimes do is called Creative Visualization. It's some new-agey hocus pocus about focusing on your wants and needs to get them, but hey, I get almost everything I really want, so maybe it does work. Either way, it's very relaxing and affirming.

Oh, Jake, since you live in AZ and aren't too far from Sedona: I'm mostly sceptical about the aforementioned new-agey-type-shit, but when I went to hike up Cathedral Rock, I was told that there's a "vortex" in some of the saddles of the rock that some people like to go and meditate in. I don't know *what* it was, but when I climbed up to the top and into one of the saddles (I didn't know which was supposed to be enchanted or whatnot) I felt this weird - in a good way - presence and energy that was really uplifting. Worth a shot.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:30 AM   #12
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

I do a lot of mind clearing meditation when I feel I need to quiet my mind and usually do this to start off my meditation time. I also do some more "contemplative prayer" type meditation, by which I mean I try and assend to a state beyond my mind...

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 01:22 PM   #13
TimmyJames1976
TPunk Recognized

hey..that creative visual thing is what Phil Jackson preached to Kobe and Shaq!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2005, 11:39 PM   #14
dimples
Members

Send a message via AIM to dimples

That new-age visualization hocus pocus stuff, yeah i think it works. I used to do it when i played soccer and i lead in goals and assists for the state. So just to say that i agree with it.

As for meditation, i do yoga every morning before i start my day, if i don't, i'm very cranky. Anyway, meditation is anyway to get your mind clear so that you don't have any extra baggage for the whole day. It can be anything that you find relaxing and that you enjoy. Mine is yoga, and then at the end of the day...on the days that i can...i usually have to go do some sort of exercising to get out the stress of the day. Or you can try going to a peaceful place...park, mountains, ocean, river, lake...basically you get the idea, and just let your mind go blank. That takes some getting used to...belive me! Hope this helps
dimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:55 AM   #15
mariposa427
Members

Send a message via AIM to mariposa427 Send a message via MSN to mariposa427

I pratice yoga 4 times a week, and seriously my mind, body and aura has gotten to be so much stronger. Breathing techniques that you learn help you out in every day life all the time. My body has gotten to be in such great shape just from strecthing and mediation. I suggest that to everyone. Its great.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:55 AM   #16
space virgin
Yoda

I forgot that cleaning stalls also got me in the zone. Who would think that shoveling horse poop could be a meditative experience? Actually the whole "barn" atmosphere could do it for me: the smells-- a mixture of horse, hay, leather, liniment and dirt; the rhythmic sounds of horses chomping on food and milling around... it sounds strange but it was extraordinarly relaxing. Sometimes I would sit in a stall, feed room or hay loft and just let the sounds and smells wash over me. Riding was like that in some circumstances too.

Actually just thinking about it makes me relaxed!
Old 02-24-2005, 11:07 AM   #17
rjt98
Members

Send a message via AIM to rjt98 Send a message via Yahoo to rjt98

Ive learned a few different methods of meditation, and have hearn many different things that meditation is supposed to be for. Ive sort of created my own way of meditating and practice it quite frequently. Its seems to me like im basically hypnotising myself, and waking up with a different perspective of everything.
rjt98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:32 PM   #18
my retro career
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by space virgin@Feb 24 2005, 06:55 PM
I forgot that cleaning stalls also got me in the zone.* Who would think that shoveling horse poop could be a meditative experience? Actually the whole "barn" atmosphere could do it for me:* the smells-- a mixture of horse, hay, leather, liniment and dirt; the rhythmic sounds of horses chomping on food and milling around... it sounds strange but it was extraordinarly relaxing.* Sometimes I would sit in a stall, feed room or hay loft and just let the sounds and smells wash over me. Riding was like that in some circumstances too.

Actually just thinking about it makes me relaxed!*
Yes yes as strange and weird as this might sound, it's parallel to a method of buddhist meditation (I think) called mindful meditaton....
Old 02-24-2005, 12:34 PM   #19
my retro career
TPunk Emeritus

Well jake - how is your meditating experience coming so far ?
Old 02-24-2005, 12:47 PM   #20
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

My head is clearer then normal for sure. I am not attempting to ascend or any such thing, just quite my mind and clear out the crap. I read somewhere that our brain has over 20,000 individual thoughts a day (voyd would probably be able to help on this ) and I just want to be able to wipe all that out before praying or reading my bible or a book or tpunk

So I need to keep practicing, it's super hard to start and keep focused on a word. But I like the challenge and the patience it builds.