packing list... - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-08-2005, 07:16 PM   #1
Elixir
Members

Send a message via AIM to Elixir Send a message via Yahoo to Elixir

the way i figure this, i should work on my list now a few months before i leave, so that i can get things here and there and work on just what i have, to see if it is neccesary or not. so if anyone has any tips then please give me them!!!

CLOTHING
-5 pairs of pants (i found an army surplus place that sells good canvas pants for $5 a pair, is that the kind of pant i would need?)
-6 t-shirts (plain Hanes cotton)
-2 long sleeve shirts
-10 pair/socks (dont need wet socks or infections)
-2 pair/shorts
-5 pair underwear (more or less? that was just a number i picked cuz it sounds even)
-coat
-hoodie
OTHER
-pillow case
-knife
-toiletries (toothbrush/paste, deoderant, liquid soap)
-hand sanitizer
-chapstick
-neosporin
-wire lock
-3 small/large plastic bags
-3 grocery bags
-money belt
-compass
-pepto
-band aids
-aspirin
-iodine tablets
-pocket flashlight
-paper (small flip pad, journal, should i also include paper just for writing letters or just use it when i find it?)
-pens
-safety pins
-sewing kit
-lighter
-sandals
-sneakers
-multi-vitamins

alright then, i want to do a lot of camping and "roughing it". besides some basics, how much food should i carry with me? those instant meals at camping places are good and have a lot of calories. il bring some hard candies and stuff like that.

any tips are great, thank you!!!
Old 02-08-2005, 07:45 PM   #2
Elixir
Members

and, oh yeah, a few other things.

sleeping bag, small locks for each zipper.

il be using a pack with one of those external frames, it doesnt look pretty but my brother traveled a lot with it and he didnt reccomend different for me. also getting a smaller day pack.

sorry i posted this here, i just found the post in Packing Tips, Visa's, Innoculations (shot's)...Stuff before you go!

Old 02-08-2005, 08:15 PM   #3
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

It's ok

Allright um here's the thing... you are taking way way too much

unless you are moving there. No no you still are taking too much.

Nobody needs five pair of pants. Ever. For anything. EVER.
choose either the hoodie or coat. not both.

and um where are you going?
Old 02-08-2005, 08:37 PM   #4
Elixir
Members

im going from here in PA to washington state. and from there, i dont know. i will be away from home for a long time, so i figured i should need lots of cloths. dont plan onm doing much more than hiking and traveling for at least a year. also read on a yellowstone webstie (where i am looking at getting a job) that it gets pretty chilly at night and very cold in the winter. so i figured id need warm stuff.

good to know i am learning this stuff now, though
Old 02-08-2005, 08:45 PM   #5
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Oh ok you're staying in country

Allright then that helps. Basically don't buy anything in PA that you can get in WA which of course is everything. Just stick to what you have at home and you'll be good

For the most part anything you dont use at home you more than likely wont use in washington. keep that in mind.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:02 PM   #6
pinion
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to pinion

I agree with Jake, that is overkill!!! I don't think I own 5 pairs of pants.

If you go travelling for a year, you don't bring enough supplies to last you the year, just enough to get through a couple weeks.

I would only bring

-2 pairs of pants
-4 t-shirts
-1 long sleeve shirts
-5 pair/socks
-2 pair/shorts
-5 pair underwear

Remember, you can always buy more stuff along the way.

I think you're fine in the supplies department though
And I never will play the wild rover no more
pinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:22 PM   #7
urOZm8
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
5 pair underwear (more or less? that was just a number i picked cuz it sounds even)
5 is actually odd. Oh hang on you said pairs. 5 x 2 = 10. That is even. Im confused

Ok seriously. Yes too many pants. 2 maximum. Less is always better as pinion says you can always stock up on things along the way.
Make one of those pairs of shorts to double up as bathers for swimming and also they are great for their quick dry qualities.
If those pants are only canvass I would recommend some thermals for the cold weather you will come across. Those body hugging ones that go from the waist to ankles (godsent when I was in artic circle Norway)

ev
Old 02-08-2005, 11:22 PM   #8
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Laundromats are magical.. they really reduce how much clothing you need to take with you, and in a pinch, you can use any ol' sink and a clothesline.

I've also reduced my clothes packing by taking one pair of "convertible" trekking pants. They're long pants with legs that zip-off so they become shorts. They're also very quick to dry in the rain and after a wash, lightweight, and have a zillion pockets. Not bad for $28 at REI. They replace a set of pants and a pair of shorts, and they're lighter! If you want a set really cheap, I know Old Navy sells similar stuff for under $10.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 06:01 AM   #9
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Quote:
Originally posted by omisan@Feb 9 2005, 12:22 AM
Laundromats are magical.. they really reduce how much clothing you need to take with you, and in a pinch, you can use any ol' sink and a clothesline.

I've also reduced my clothes packing by taking one pair of "convertible" trekking pants. They're long pants with legs that zip-off so they become shorts. They're also very quick to dry in the rain and after a wash, lightweight, and have a zillion pockets. Not bad for $28 at REI.* They replace a set of pants and a pair of shorts, and they're lighter!* If you want a set really cheap, I know Old Navy sells similar stuff for under $10.
travel geek
Old 02-09-2005, 06:30 AM   #10
TimmyJames1976
TPunk Recognized

WOOHOOOO pa RULES ok, not really, im trying to get out too
Old 02-09-2005, 10:12 AM   #11
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

simple rules are:

1.) All your stuffneeds to fit into your pack - test it out ahead of time - your list would take three packs.

2.) Bring more t-shirts/underwear and less everything else. You can wash socks in the sink quite easily.

3.) you can always wash stuff in the isnk like Omi said.

4.) Think about layers. If you bring a thin windbreaker/waterproof shell (which rolls up into a tiny ball), a hoodie or fleece and can throw on a long sleeve shirt beneath it, you don't need a big bulky jacket. Flexibility is key and layers = flexibility. Big bulky jacket = albatross around your neck.

Try not to leave home with your pack more than 2/3 full.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 03:58 PM   #12
foofiter
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Send a message via AIM to foofiter Send a message via MSN to foofiter Send a message via Yahoo to foofiter Send a message via Skype™ to foofiter
I have developed my own packing list that should work for any journey. It is on my website (click the "www" at the end of my post). My site also has a lot of other travel info that I have compiled. It's a work in process. Another great site dedicated to packing correctly is http://www.onebag.com . This guy has devoted his entire site on what to take with you and how to pack it. I learned a lot from it.

Hope this helps!

foofiter

"Eat healthy, exercise daily, die anyway" -- My motto
"Everyone I know, goes away, in the end...I will let you down, I will make you hurt..." -- Johnny Cash (NIN Cover of "Hurt")

I am traveling around the world until I find something that makes me want to stop. I am an aspiring photographer and hope to find whatever it is I am looking for...
foofiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 04:09 PM   #13
butterj
TPunk Recognized

Yeh less really is better, i second the zip off trousers but only take 2 pairs. I go by the you can allways buy it on the way, and its alot better than having to carry it. your bag always seems light when you pick it up at home but after carrying it for 4 hours and your sweating you will wish you left those pants.
butterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 10:31 PM   #14
Elixir
Members

thanks everyone. i felt silly writing that list cuz i remember the old slogan of pack everything you tihnk you need, and then take half away. but i wanted to be sure. also, my brother has a bigger bag with one of those big honkin external frames, that is good for my sleeping bag and the smaller pockets to keep my supplies in. but my buddy is selling me his old bag for 75 bucks, it is similar to http://www.ebags.com/mountainsmith/bugaboo...fm?modelid=6502 and http://www.ebags.com/jansport/all_terra_tr...m?modelID=19243. kind of a mix of the two, their love child if you will. would that be a good size to live out of for a while?
Old 02-13-2005, 11:54 PM   #15
TheWills
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to TheWills

Look into those pants that have a zipper and you can turn them into shorts, they are a little geeky but I love them who says you cant kill 2 birds with one stone
TheWills is offline   Reply With Quote