First Time Traveler II - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-01-2005, 07:18 PM   #1
ponchr
Members

Hey everyone.....I'm new to this site and I LOVE IT!!!.....I'm a 24 yr old male from the US and a buddy and I want to plan a backpacking trip to europ this summer. We've just graduated college and want to do something we'll remember forever before we have to start in the real world. Where do we start?? We know what countries we want to visit and have looked at things to do in them, we've also looked at airfare. What about traveling from country to country, eurorail/train system?? PLEASE help me ASAP, if someone who has done this before maybe give me step-by-step instructions (short form of course) on what to do first. I would greatly appreciate it!!!! I would also like to know about how much it will cost or how much money should I take.....we'll stay in hostels and also would it be wise to mae reservations or will there be vacancies?? Sorry if I'm scatterbrained, I just found this site and it's a miracle. Thanks for the help

Ponch from US--WV
ponchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:44 AM   #2
ChasinJason1313
TPunk Recognized

West Virginia??? Anyway, you have to give us some info.... How long so you want to go? what countries do you want to go to? Is art your thing? Or architecture? Partying? What is the goal? How many people... PM me or write your answers here so I can help u

Jason

The beauty of this world will last
Much longer than its men
No need for man to test this fact
Enjoy the view instead----Me(Part of a longer poem)
ChasinJason1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 06:42 AM   #3
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Welcome to the Boards, ponchr! I'm from just a ways up north in Columbus, OH...

Well, lots of folks get a Eurailpass for the first trip overseas. There is no problem traveling from country to country by rail in Europe. However, it really all depends how many places you want to try to hit. You could spend weeks and weeks in Spain itself, or Italy, and still have tons of great stuff you missed.

If you're trying to hit European "highlights," then sure, Eurailpass is a good idea. If you're sticking to one or two countries, it'd probably be better to just take the trains or buses to get around when you're there -- no pass.

So, what are you interested in seeing?

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 06:19 PM   #4
ponchr
Members

Hey guys...thanks for the quick replies and sorry for not giving enough info the first time. Hopefully there'll be 3 of us going but at least 2....the countries we want to visit are spain, italy, france, amsterdam and germany. I'm just curious as to some of the best place to visit in these areas. We're into just about everything....partying, sightseeing and whatever else...even art, I know there's lots to see. What else is there and where are the good areas to go?? We'd like to stay a month over there and travel around.....would it be cheaper to just visit a few countries extensively or would it be worth a little extra money to see many different countries. Thanks again for your help....if you have any other questions please let me know.

Ponch
ponchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 06:31 PM   #5
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Welcome to Tpunk!

I personally would rather check out a couple of countries at a time and see more and take in the culture, but that is just a matter of "taste". If you plan to do the countries you listed, eurorail would probably be a good bet. If you only have a month you could probably do a country a week and not be too pressed for time. There is a lot you can do in each and every place. I usually hit smaller towns and take in a lot of the local country, do some backcountry hiking, find the whole in the wall pubs/restraunts, etc. Just depends what you like.

You'll have a great time!!

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 03:57 AM   #6
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Well, let's see:

Spain: Barcelona is a cool city, what with La Sagrada Familia and the rest of the Gaudi buildings. In the Madrid area, there is Toledo and Segovia -- two Medieval type towns. And down south, there is Seville (with its Moorish architecture) and Granada, home of the Alhambra, a gorgeous Moorish palace.

Italy: Well, of course, there's the "Big Three" -- Rome, Venice, Florence. Lots of people see them on the first time to Italy. Rome has all the great antiquities like the Colisseum, Forum, arches (and the Vatican). Venice, is quite simply, a stunningly beautiful city with its canals instead of streets, lovely Renaissance era buildings in pastel shades, and scenic bridges around every corner.

Holland: Amsterdam will surprise you with how pretty it is, with its own concentric rings of canals surrounding the center of town, and bridges and such. Like Venice, it has its architecture of cool, centuries-old buildings. The train system is great there, so you'll be able to see as much of the country as you want.

Germany: It's been a long time since I've been there, but I hear Berlin is supposed to be an amazing city, almost completely rebuilt. I know that in the Rhine-Neckar river area there are tons of castles, including the famous Heidelberg.

One thing I'd caution against: Don't spend your entire time in transit. Settle down for a few days in place you like, and relax. If you are always on the train heading somewhere you may FEEL like you're getting your Eurail money's worth, but when you count up the time you spent actually seeing sights, you'll have spent more on the trains instead.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

worldwidemike
Old 02-21-2005, 08:57 AM   #7
sullid
Members

Hello I am also traveling this summer but by myself unfortunately. I just started doing research myself. I am trying to figure out where I should fly into and if I shoudl buy a return tkt from the same country...
sullid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:18 AM   #8
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

If you can get a good deal on an "open jaw" ticket (one that has you arrive in one city and depart out of another), go for it. Save you from doubling back, or trying to make your route into a circle...

Or, get the cheapest tick you can find to a European arrival city, then use low-cost carriers like easyjet or ryanair to get around while in Europe...

worldwidemike