To rave or not to rave? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 01-24-2005, 01:22 PM   #1
MolsonGirl
Drifter in the making.

Talking

What's up guys! So I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned on here that I am a HUGE party girl... I mean everyone knows I like to drink... a lot (well when appropriate) but I don't think I've ever mentioned that I LOVE house and trance music... Problem is I've never been to a rave... and there's a Big one coming up in Toronto on Feb 5th and I was just wondering if anyone has been to one...

It's a tropical theme and it's anti-drug (which is key, Pot is one thing but harder stuff is stupid)

Anyways I"ve attached the link... lemme know what you think.

P.S my favourite song by far is Blood Rave... or any mix version of it!!! KICKS BUM.

Hullabaloo RAVE Link

I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive.
~ Jane Austen in a Letter (1811-05-31)
MolsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 01:47 PM   #2
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

an indoor rave?

I thought part of the whole rave thing was to be outdoors in the middle of nowhere and that part of it was trying to find the place while getting incredibly messed up on stupid drugs.

Anyway it looks tight molson. I hit up a desert rave a couple months ago and it was a crazy good time.

my favorite song dance song is definitly dragoste din tei by ozone.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:37 PM   #3
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Being a sometime-DJ and having been into the rave scene, i'd definitely say GO! I'm not into so-called "massives" myself (I prefer small undergrounds, due to the more peaceful, non-commercial vibe) but hey, what have you got to lose by going out and trying it on for size?

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 02:42 PM   #4
pinion
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to pinion

I'm kind of ignorant towards raves as I've never been to one and would never be caught dead at one. I'm more into ar bands, live concerts, not kids jumping around on E...

So...keeping with this I'm going to say "No Go"
And I never will play the wild rover no more
pinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 06:43 PM   #5
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

I'd say go for it. Even if you don't like it, at least you can say you've officially been to a rave. You gotta try everything (or mostly everything ) once!

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:07 AM   #6
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

My general rule is that any time you have an opportunity to try something new that you need to try it (barring stupid things like hard drugs). That's what life is about....experiencing new things. There have been plenty of times I have tried something that I thought I would hate before I did it and I ended up loving it. In this case, you love that type of music so you have absolutely nothing to lose.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:37 AM   #7
The Monsignor
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

I really enjoy the house/trance music, but I'm also not very into the kids hopping around on E...

I prefer conversation to chaos....

I'd still say go for it, however, if you're into the club scene, it seems like it would be a good vibe.

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 03:16 PM   #8
ED Larry
workin for the man...

Well being from the T-dot myself... and seeing as i was involved in the whole "rave" scene in the mid/late 90's... working for some companies and running my own for a while... I have been to many, many, many different raves (if you still want to call them that... i like to call them parties).. and from my experience I would suggest to stay away from hullabaloo... unless you want to have little kids running around you acting like idiots!!! back about 5 years ago i went to acouple parties by hallabaloo and they were OK... but they got really really bad now... they are all kids running around hopped up on crystal, E, K... basically everything. They say no drugs just to look good to people who want to stop parties in toronto.

also the music is really bad there... there is only one room and the music changes from DJ to DJ... house, trance, happy harecore, drum 'n' bass... the rotate different all night... very annoying... and also the venue sucks... the opera house

my suggestion would be to go to something else if you want to hear house/trance... also i would suggest a 19+ event because then you don't have to deal with kids running around... check www.tribemagazine.com, its a magazine for parties going on in toronto... check the upcoming events section and you will find everything going on in toronto. I would suggest ultra spin 6 on jan 29... going to be crazy... good house and trance... if i was home i would hit it up...

those are just my personal suggestions... hope they helped

ed
Old 01-26-2005, 05:00 PM   #9
Joker
You want fries with that?

Before I grew up ( :D )I went to Buzz in Washington a couple times at Nation... it was okay, but I prefer smaller venues for house/trance/triphop etc. Of course, I'm not much into drum and bass, anyway, so...

But have some friggin' fun!

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 07:40 PM   #10
MolsonGirl
Drifter in the making.

ED thanks so much for the info... my buddy also warned me against Hulla and I have way too much school work to get done before then. I will definetly check out the one you mentioned and see if I can get myself out there. Cheers!

I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:28 PM   #11
D2 Fresh
Members

Send a message via MSN to D2 Fresh

Hey!

I'm just about to pack my bags and head to Canada can't wait!

V.happy to find that Techno, hardhouse, house music is apprecited over the pond i've now got one less thing to worry about

Coming form the U.K, the dance scene is huge so i'm looking forward to checking out Canada's scene! (can anyone help me out with some clubs to hit up? please......)

Hmmmm!!! but i think some veiws on "harder drugs" is a bit harsh i'm not having a go at anyone on the forum, just that being part off the scene hear it kinda goes hand in hand and all has been well since i started clubbing. I find bigger problems with people drinking alcohol and starting fights than ppl on E who seem to go out and dance there little hearts out But everyone has there own oppinion and thats cool....

anyways u should check out a Rave! Molson Girl ( hmmmm do we still call them that )

There usually really good! and most nights i've had out "Having it large" have been F*@king brilliant.....

Take it easy guys!
D2 Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:55 PM   #12
glorious_day
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Yahoo to glorious_day

geez, i didn't even know they still had raves anymore. i think the last of the really good, underground, "grassroots" raves ended sometime in the late 90's, which was, of course, right when i was beginning to get old enough to discover them. i went to some awful "warehouse" party a couple of years back that was smack dab in the middle of dallas and so commercial it reeked. i swear they hired club kids to sell drugs. anyway, the only party i have been to lately that was awesome was a private (but really open to anyone who wanted to come) party held in the mountains in colorado by sd's brother's roommate. he owns a record shop in downtown boulder and has those parties to showcase new talent. they set up all their weirdo electronic machine thingies and just play away until dawn. those are the best kind of parties (raves) to go to. just don't get too drunk and get lost in the woods when you go to pee.

"don't get sentimental.... it always ends up drivel"
-the always hot and appropriately cynical Thom Yorke
glorious_day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 03:09 PM   #13
omisan
Minister of Offense

Quote:
i think the last of the really good, underground, \"grassroots\" raves ended sometime in the late 90's
Nope, they still exist. We just don't tell anyone about 'em

Old 02-03-2005, 06:18 AM   #14
glorious_day
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Yahoo to glorious_day

^ ok, well, i never was that cool. but couldn't you guys just call me maybe once? just once? puuuuuulllllease? i promise i'll be cool this time.........

"don't get sentimental.... it always ends up drivel"
-the always hot and appropriately cynical Thom Yorke
glorious_day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 10:09 AM   #15
omisan
Minister of Offense

I dunno.. last time, I gave you some E that were actually Flintstones Vitamins but you went ahead and flipped the f*** out anyway, thinking you were overheating

Old 02-05-2005, 02:38 PM   #16
ashpunk
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to ashpunk

Oh my god! I havent been to a rave in like 3 years! I was going to go to one in la a few months back... but it just fell through. I think the best thing about parties are going with a close group of friends and meeting new people throughout the night. Standing in front of Richards (RHV) speakers and blowing out an eardrum. *damn ringing wont quit*

"Be not afraid of going slowly, be afraid only of standing still"
"Not all who wander are lost"
ashpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 06:56 PM   #17
MolsonGirl
Drifter in the making.

OH the update on my rave situation is that I'm going to a show that has Paul Oakenfold as the headliner in the line-up.. VIP of course! seems like nothing but the best for me now I'll be sure to bring a came and take some pics!

Old 02-16-2005, 09:24 AM   #18
Realmofo
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

Have fun! Indoor raves suck though, and even though its supposed to be drug free, youll see the number of LSD and Ecstacy people running around.

Im going to Ultra Music Festival 2005 down here, the worlds biggest DJ's and 50,000+ people expected down here, thats a BIG ass rave outdoors in a downtown miami park. From Drums, to trance, goa-psy, jungle and progressive, it will all be there. Just DONT BUY anything from anyone you dont know, most of the time they are cops (even pot) and if you are caught you are literally fucked.

Have fun! and stay away from candy kids....theyre annoying as fuck!

"To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid"
Realmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 04:26 PM   #19
mariposa427
Members

Send a message via AIM to mariposa427 Send a message via MSN to mariposa427

Raves are great!!! I love dance music techno trance hard house EVERYTHING!!!!! PARTY HARD I say.. you only live once girl!!! I am actually heading out to the WMC in South Beach Miami, where EVERY DJ in the world will be there spinning and partying!!!! Everyone should go its going to be heaven!!! I mean anyone that truly apperciates amazing dance music!!! Just to give you a heads up of the great djs that will be there we have : DJ Tiesto-- yummy!! Paul Oakenfold!!! Tall Paul.. Carl Cox, Paul Van Dyke, Armin van Buuren.. You guys should totally check it out.. Maybe any one who is going we could all meet up!!!!
Old 02-17-2005, 04:27 PM   #20
mariposa427
Members

Send a message via AIM to mariposa427 Send a message via MSN to mariposa427

Oh shit Realmofo we should totally get together!!! Its going to be AWESOME!!!!!! I cant wait!!