The Death Of A Great Pair of Boots - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 08-13-2003, 05:00 PM   #1
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

I am sad to announce that there has been a tragic death in my life, this death has affected me in ways only a true trav'la can understand. I am speaking of my boots.

I met these boots back in 1997, it was the Roots store in the Pickering Town Centre Mall, it was love at first sight. They were good look'n, comfortable and fit me just right...I could not leave the store with out them, sure they cost a bit more than the others I had looked at, but they were worth every penny.

Our relationship stated out slow, casual walks in the park, evenings out, they were happy on my feet when I was behind the wheel of my convertable, and my pick up truck....Things progressed very nicely as we made our way cross country to do some mountain biking in British Columbia, this worked out so well on that first trip out there, that 5 trips followed in the same year, hiking, pub hopping, and the never forgetfull helicopter trip into the mountains. We just got along so well.

Then it hit me The Travel Bug!!! I knew I always had it, but now I had the means to pay for it, so my boots and I started to plan for our first trip overseas, it was pretty exciting for the both of us. I remember the walk to the airplane that Aug. afternoon, I had chills, and yet my boots stayed calm, I was so glad I had them with me.

Country after country and city after city, these boots were with me everytime. I senced a little jelousy when I packed a pair of sandles on one trip, but still these boots never let me down. I abused these boots like I have never abused boots before, and they cried for more, they wanted to be walked in over and over again...i think to myself that no matter if it was a wicked hot day or freezing cold, if I walked into the ocean, or ran across a crowded market, slept in a ditch or in a fancy hotel, these boots loved every minute of it.

Scars on the leather prove that they are to tired to travel with me any more, I put them on for the first time in many months and found that they do not quite fit aswell as they used to, the 3 re-soling operations they have been through and more laces than I can count. These things have finally caught up to them.

My boots are dead, it is a sad day for me that these friends of mine can longer come on my adventures with me, they are dead. You have done me well old boots, I will never forget you! You will hang behind my bar as a tribute to our time togeather. If I could only count the miles we have logged togeather, no one would believe it.

I now have a new pair of Roots Boots, younger, stronger, more durable...but it is not the same, it will never be the same as my first pair of boots.

MY BOOTS: Aug 1997 - Aug 2003 You Will Be Missed

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 06:32 PM   #2
butternut punkin
Members

Send a message via Yahoo to butternut punkin

oh canadian dude, I understand your pain. I had a similar relationship with a pair of boots and when I could see my toe through the sole I went in and looked at a new pair. It was a very sad day indeed. With my old ones I placed a flowering plant in each one so I could still see them and they still felt important. The pain heals in time cd and the new relationship you are forming with your new boots will also be strong and rewarding.
Take care!!!
Old 08-14-2003, 05:34 PM   #3
Diorama
TPunk Emeritus

uhh...wtf...sorry???

all great love affairs have to end. You'll find another pair and continue where you left off don't worry.

oh geesh
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 12:49 AM   #4
wong name
Members

wow cd, if u feel that way about a pair of boots your girlfriend is gonna be one lucky lady. i bet those boots feel they were just used 4 there sole--------ha,ha sorry had to say it.
i think we all have a favorite boots, jeans, shirt, jacket------ect... so your not alone, its universal. :P :P
Old 10-01-2003, 11:17 AM   #5
kerouacscabbie
Members

sorry about the boots cd, i truelly feel your pain.

to add to the boot thread going here, i was just in skopje macedonia where on every street corner there is a shoe shine guy. everytime they saw me coming they saw dollar signs and would begin to call to me. then i would get near them and they would take a look a look at my five year old timberlakes with holes in them and this immideate look of disappoinment would come over them, sorry guys, i would say but then we would both have a good laugh and all would be well.

also, anyone who travels with expensive (looking) shoes and an expensive watch is nuts, this is how people tell if you have money. the poorer you look, the less your gonna pay. (the watch and shoes indicator was a little trick taught to me by an artist who should ceramic plates at a whooping $40,000 USD. he said the better the watch and shoes the more you charge them, and coming from a guy who turned fifty cents worth of clay into fourty grand, i trust his opinion.)

later
kerouacscabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 05:43 PM   #6
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

Thanks for you comments on my boots Wong & KC, they ment alot to me thats for shizzle, and trust me, these boot were in such rough shape by the end, I had family members want to take me out to get a new pair of boots...i just could not do it! And for the $$$ matters KC, your right, when you go buy a new car, don't go in a suit, cause da price just went up 10%

Old 10-01-2003, 08:20 PM   #7
travelpunk
Admin

In time, you'll have a strong relationship with the new boots as you did with the old

Good tips on the dress codes when buying/selling. When I see panhandlers with new shoes, it's definitely suspicious
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:58 PM   #8
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

I was just going through some of the older posts, and this one brought a tear to my eye...

Old 04-27-2005, 06:43 AM   #9
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

lol cd i know how you feel! I had these pair of white shoes (pumps) what my nan and mum used to call clowns shoes buit i loved them they were so comfy and i had them for about a year and a half till i took them to budapest and they ripped down the side and got all scuffed up oh how i wish i had never took them

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:22 AM   #10
space virgin
Yoda

I feel ya, CD. I'm on my third pair of Danskos. I don't care that they're not terribly pretty (I have plenty of pretty shoes to make up for it). They have single-handedly enabled me to work brutal hours standing up without pain. And they've kept my feet nice too.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:09 AM   #11
bluepea
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

No wonder my life is so empty - I have probably 30 pairs of shoes and not a close connection with any of them. I mean, I wear my reef sandals all the time, but I've only had them for a few months and the soles are already getting slippery. Will I ever have what you guys have?

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 01:03 PM   #12
SuDz
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

A lot of runners feel this way with shoes. I know i did with my first running shoes. They took me from when I was gagging and coughing after a mile run and were with me when I crossed the finish line of my first half marathon. I had to replace them after a well done 450 miles or so but none of the other shoes ever felt quite as right. I still have them in my room and don't really use them much but they used to be the first thing I reached for every morning when I was getting ready for a run.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 01:40 PM   #13
Rozza
***** Senior *********

Location: WANTED! dead or at a meet-up ..... reward first round on Me
Send a message via Yahoo to Rozza

i've just lost my hiking boots .... i feel so empty, so handicapped with out them

Past Trip Albums:
Norway '05 Album

"'Kings. What a good idea.'Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tenedency to bend at the knees."
- Terry Prachett
Rozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 02:20 PM   #14
Me2
Members

Send a message via MSN to Me2

snif snif
I am there for you CD

I AM CANADIAN!!! wait we can't use that one any more, molson joined coors, it is now I AM CANADIAN/AMERICAN
Me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 01:02 PM   #15
blinkchick2134
TPunk Emeritus

I love my chucks/all stars/chuck taylors/bobos/converse/or whatever you call them. I borrowed them back in the beginning of 2003 from a friend, they already had holes and worn bottoms. But we bonded over time and formed a friendship. In June/July I went to Europe taking them with me. They've gone into a glacier on Mt Blanc, climbed to the top of La Sacred Familia, pondered life on the Effiel Tower, and so much more. The took my 1st trip and then 1st solo trip into NYC with me. Have been to North Carolina, Chicago (Dec meetup) and recently Los Angeles.

The sides have begun to fall apart, I'm guessing they have a year or so left.

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote