Ever have that really bad travelling day? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 11-03-2004, 05:41 AM   #1
Diorama
TPunk Emeritus

s'up peeps,

Hi everyone that i know and nice to meet u everyone that i don't! Just wondering if anyone has been really down during their travels before. I've been on the road for 7 months now and I just had my first really depressing moment. i feel grrrrrrrrrrrrrreat today. But the last few days have been rough. I recently said good bye to two travelling mates. We were really close and saying goodbye and being alone just plain sucks. You develop such important relationships with ppl on the road. And when they leave feel such a loss. Then I realized I only have $500 left and am on the road to brokeville. I got a job in a town called Northam (hour away from perth), Bar was grubby and my room shabby. Didn't know anyone there, then I woke up yesterday to a wonderful eye infection. Spent $50 to get that looked at! Anyways long story short I'm back in perth and feeling better, but does anyone ever have travelling days like that. When u just feel so down and depressed. I'm not looking for sympathy here just wondering what ur darkest moments were....

on a side note: Be happy, Don't worry!
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 06:44 AM   #2
kingcrazylegs
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Yeah, saying goodbye and missing people sucks. In the past I tried to avoid putting myself in situations where I would miss people, but in the end it happens and it is really hard.

I have had plenty of travel days that just suck because I was broke (boy have I been broke ) Its no fun!

Hey, but props to ya for coming out of it dude!

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 07:42 AM   #3
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Hey Dio!

Yeah, we all have those low motivation travel days. The days when you think: "Wellll, it WOULD be possible to chuck it all and go home..."

I'd by lying if I said I hadn't given in to that in my years of travel -- once, after 5 weeks in Scotland, I couldn't find an available hostel or B&B in Perth, then got on the train south, heard it was going to London, and said "F@#% it! Too many damn people, I'm running low on money, and I'm only supposed to be here for less than another week anyway..." Kept on going, all the way to London.

Another time, after six months on the road, I got homesick (my bastard friends sent me cassettes they made at parties, all taking turns at the microphone)...instead of going from Israel south through Africa, I flew home.

Yeah...so it happens. The thing ya gotta do, girlfriend, is pick "ONE MORE THING" you feel you can't go home without seeing. Motivate yourself for that one more thing. Then, by the time you've gone there and done it, the period of depression is over. And things are all better!

As for fellow travelers, yes, that is a sad one...especially since you know you may never see them again in your life! Hmmm...where are you, Sari Puoskari from Finland? Vince from Wisconsin and Kibbutz Shoval? Boud from Holland and the kibbutz? You guys all live on in memories!

worldwidemike (sorry 'bout the ramblin'...!)
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 07:44 AM   #4
Bgirl
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Yahoo to Bgirl

Yes Dio... it always happens... you can't be happy all the time even when you're traveling... But this is a good thing otherwise you wouldn't appreciate the good moments so much. It happens to me when I'm traveling, my friends leave and I stay all by myself...Or after a wild crazy party overseas... I keep wondering what I did or said...But when the trip is over I miss even those sad moments. It's all about experience!
Old 11-03-2004, 09:04 AM   #5
RegentRat
Members

Send a message via MSN to RegentRat

Um,,,Hey,,,
It's excellent that your feeling better today...not to start the rain...
But,,,once upon a time i was on the road for 3 years,,,year three was a solo-ists nightmare...um,,,first i should say that i have a common sense problem and
in my youth,,,mental issues...to keep it short,,,while in china i lost my wits and eventually was detained...after 8 days at this weird school place an embassy rep arranged for me to be sent home,,,did i mention i was a runaway???oh and a minor (17)??? It gets allot worse from there...but now it seems somewhat humorous
...Was i ever that young???Sorry for being so windy,,,not that you are going to read this anyways...But in case you do 'cloudy days are followed by long periods of sunshine,,,if you want it...'
Oh and um...just forget i exist.

your kindred darkday friend

RegentRat

"Today you good!" sifu wayland li
RegentRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 02:51 PM   #6
bellelass
I'll rock your socks off

No, you did not mention you were a runaway. Mad props to you. And no, did not mention being a minor.

No indeed, you were never that young.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 02:58 PM   #7
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

harshness to the third... watch out belle he might bite....
Old 11-03-2004, 02:59 PM   #8
bellelass
I'll rock your socks off

It's ok, I've had my shots.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."

Old 11-03-2004, 03:27 PM   #9
RegentRat
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by bellelass@Nov 3 2004, 06:59 PM
It's ok, I've had my shots.
Um,,,Hey,,,
I just wanted you to no that like you,,,I'm against me...

Getting the 'your unwanted' hint but even still yours,,,

RegentRat

I'lll stop writing on here for a while,,,sorry everyone...i can be stupid...

Old 11-03-2004, 03:37 PM   #10
space virgin
Yoda

You're not unwanted, she was just teasing you about your punctuation. You gotta have thick skin if you're going to hang around here, man! Don't apologize every time you post your thoughts. We want to hear 'em, but if you don't value your own input, no one else will!
Old 11-03-2004, 03:46 PM   #11
RegentRat
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by space virgin@Nov 3 2004, 07:37 PM
You're not unwanted, she was just teasing you about your punctuation.
Um Hey
Thick skin for sure but realistic when trespassing in groups with long term members. I also know that most people dont want to hear my kind of input. Heh. Its not unusual for me to get this reaction as i may have asked for it in a way...Anyways i think better to be at least quieter. Thanks every one and Bella for your hionesty. Hopefully if i act properly i can maybe gradually attempt to fit in in some other way. Sorry again.

RegentRat

Old 11-03-2004, 04:08 PM   #12
U2fan
BONO'S LOVE SLAVE

don't worry about people being "long term members"; yeah some people found the website a year or more ago, some people a few months ago, some people last week....everyone was/is a newbie at some point and again, the more the merrier!

Metro to Ginza shopping district: 160 yen

Watching middle-aged Japanese woman dance to U2: priceless
U2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:34 AM   #13
bellelass
I'll rock your socks off

yeah seriously,,,teasin''' you man,,, nothing to get too,,,upset,,, about...

most fanatically tactlessly yours,,,
sp