The Grudge - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-24-2004, 03:38 PM   #1
Magnifico
Members

I saw the Sam Raimi adaptation of Takashi Shimizu's "Ju-On."

Scariest movie I've ever freaking seen. Holy crap. Don't see it, unless you're a major fear buff and you enjoy getting your freak-out on.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:46 PM   #2
Carter
Members

Send a message via AIM to Carter

Really???? The previews make me laugh (and I'm not trying to be macho, I can get creeped out by movies).

I have been thinking that that one 'the saw' or whatever its called, the one where the serial killer chains the people up and tries to make them saw their limbs off, looks scarier.

Maybe I'll go see the grudge afterall if you say its really not dumb.

-Carter
Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 02:33 AM   #3
Magnifico
Members

Saw strikes me as more of a "holy crap, that's just wrong" kind of scary movie (I mean, the tag line is "How fucked up is that?"), while The Grudge was more like well done horror that did well in picking up some fine elements of American horror-thriller film while maintaining a lot of the Japanese aesthetics that make it so scary. The ads don't do it justice by any stretch of the imagination; this movie, to me, was a lot scarier than anything I've seen, in theatres or out.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:42 PM   #4
bellelass
I'll rock your socks off

I watched The Exorcist with a few friends last night. None of us had seen it before, we just knew that this old scary movie existed called The Exorcist. Holy sh*t. My friend and I actually screamed out loud... We all ended up sitting up late late late, smoking and talking about nice things so we'd be able to sleep..

I dunno, maybe we're all just wimps...

Really want to see the Grudge... Is it more of a gory scary movie or one of those that gets in your head? I prefer the latter...
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 07:09 PM   #5
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
I dunno, maybe we're all just wimps...
I cant even watch disney films with out being all whimped out ha ha ha
seriously im not good with scary movies even silly ones like nightmare on elm street but the scariest one of all for me has got to be 6th sense and im a spiritualist!!!!

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 09:52 PM   #6
ScarlotteDorian
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

Quote:
Originally posted by Magnifico@Oct 26 2004, 01:33 AM
a "holy crap, that's just wrong" kind of scary movie
yeah, but those are the ones that are always the best, think of "natural born killers" (even though it's a thrill kill movie and not a scarey movie)

about the grudge, yeah, my roommate was scared for like two days about that movie. he kept getting all freaked out when he'd walk from his car at night to our apartment. i guess i'm going to have to go check it out if i find the time.

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 02:26 AM   #7
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Hmm, I was supposed to see the Grudge on Thursday but my boss got me too hammered to walk 50 yards to the theatre. My co-workers made it and they passed out in their seats, but they said what they remember of it was great!

I watched the Exorcist & Queen of the Damned today for inspiration to go out Halloween partyin'... pretty cheesy. Eagerly anticipating SAW, though. I prefer "fucked up" scary to "ooh, you spooked me" scary any day of the week. (Se7en, anyone??)

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 02:08 PM   #8
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

I saw SAW last night... LAME

bad acting... ok story.... good twists... but the acting...
HOLY B-MOVIE ACTORS BATMAN!

Seriously.. can anyone say Evil Dead isnt the best scary movie ever?

Old 11-01-2004, 03:05 PM   #9
elfmaiden
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to elfmaiden

I have to agree with Jake! The twists were pretty surprising, I was caught offguard...but man. The dude from The Princess Bride hasn't improved his acting 1 iota. I tried hard not to laugh at some points, 'cause it was scary stuff...but the dudes acting just make me laugh

Jenn
Old 11-01-2004, 09:16 PM   #10
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

Quote:
Originally posted by bellelass@Oct 31 2004, 07:42 PM
I watched The Exorcist with a few friends last night.* None of us had seen it before, we just knew that this old scary movie existed called The Exorcist.* Holy sh*t.* My friend and I actually screamed out loud...
lol i saw the exorcist too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! although I have to admit.....it really wasnt very scary to me....in fact I found the acting in many scenes funny.......although maybe in dif settings it would have been scarier.....esp if I saw it in a theatre....threatres always make things scarier

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 02:06 AM   #11
ChasinJason1313
TPunk Recognized

I'll give scary movies this, if they're good, they can scare me that night. But my definition of a great scary movie is when it bugs you for days and days.

For anyone who hasn't seen the original "the shining," I dare you to watch that by yourself, in an empty house. I'f you're not tripping every time you hear a creak in the floor I'll eat my hat. That has to be the best psychological mind-fuck I've ever seen and I graduated with a BA in psych-soc!!

The beauty of this world will last
Much longer than its men
No need for man to test this fact
Enjoy the view instead----Me(Part of a longer poem)
ChasinJason1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 05:40 AM   #12
U2fan
BONO'S LOVE SLAVE

Whoo Jason! Eat your hat and send me a pic! I watched the original by myself in an empty house and was fine..... :greenguy:

Metro to Ginza shopping district: 160 yen

Watching middle-aged Japanese woman dance to U2: priceless
U2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 12:22 PM   #13
ChasinJason1313
TPunk Recognized

LIIIIAAAAARRRR!!!!!!

That or you have no sense of ...uhhh......whatever it is that freaks you out. You're a diamond in the rough there Lauren, but no fun on a horror movie date I guess.

The beauty of this world will last
Much longer than its men
No need for man to test this fact
Enjoy the view instead----Me(Part of a longer poem)
ChasinJason1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 12:56 PM   #14
U2fan
BONO'S LOVE SLAVE

I'll take that as a compliment!

Metro to Ginza shopping district: 160 yen

Watching middle-aged Japanese woman dance to U2: priceless
U2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 04:10 PM   #15
jraz22
Members

I saw SAW last week and it freaked the hell out of me. I had seen the Grudge two days earlier and that scared the crap out of me.....I'll admit I get scared and hate scary movies but my roommates brought me along....BAD MOVE! Grudge was jump out of my seat scary but saw was just soo F**Ked up. it was distrubing. congrats to anyone not being scared by it

I even saw it in the afternoon
Old 11-04-2004, 08:28 PM   #16
Ozpacka
TPunk Recognized

Ha, saw was funny as...

I believe it was written/made by a couple of dudes from film school here in melbourne, who made the origional short for like $7000, then got a couple of million to make the full thing from hollywood.

Its made huge profits but in the states i hear. Wish Halloween was bigger over here. I take it you guys have plenty of fun with it over there.

Lee/.

Travelpunk - More extreme than your Mum!
Ozpacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 12:32 AM   #17
Columbia
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Columbia

Yep that makes sense...the whole 'scared for days" kinda deal. There are three movies that do that to me:
The Shining (not the steven king version, though. That one sucks and the kid is an annoying shit)
Requiem for a Dream (I'm not so much scared afterwards, but more...I don't know how to put it. It's the kind of movie you forget about, but when you remember it you keep thinking about it for the day...and that gad-dam fridge!)
The VERY ORIGINGAL House on Haunted Hill. It's in black and white. Holy hell. Couldn't pry my eyes off the screen, and I was afraid to turn around.

I remember watching Are You Afraid of the Dark? when I was younger and there was an episode where some red monster man who was all slimy and gross haunted a pool or something, and he could travel anywhere water could....I was scared of everything after that...I watched the drain in the bath while I showered..just in case.
Same thing with I think it's the gremlins VHS cover? The gremlin is coming out of the toilet....my mom had to reassure me many times "nothing's gonna come out of the toilet."
Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 03:42 AM   #18
Ozpacka
TPunk Recognized

oi, sorry to hijack the thread, but did anyone ever play that game, Nightmare. I think there was about three versions of it. You know the one, where you all sit around the tv...

Travelpunk - More extreme than your Mum!
Ozpacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:27 PM   #19
Columbia
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Columbia

Yeah..as well as AT-MOS-PHERE! (I still remember how the guy said it..the new one looks like shite though)
Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote