Suk11 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Budget Hostels, Hotels, and Accommodations > Hostel Reviews > Recommended Hostels > Asia Hostels Recommeded
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 09-01-2004, 08:33 AM   #1
joanofarc
Weasel Jones

alright kids - i stayed at this place for a combined total of one week while i was in bangkok, and it's fabulous!! we paid 600 baht (but prices are going up in october) for an ensuite double with air-con, breakfast included - you know, that works out to just $7.50 per person! the hostel itself is really charming/cool and the breakfast is delicious. it's located right next to nana skytrain station, so you can easily connect with all the vital parts of bangkok. the place is almost huge and has all sorts of fun little secret spots... outdoor showers, rooftop terraces, "common rooms" with all kinds of movies, dvds - there's even an in-house travel agent.

i wouldn't stay anywhere else!!
Old 09-01-2004, 08:35 AM   #2
joanofarc
Weasel Jones

ah, to edit: fucking hell - it would be nice!

<a href=\'http://www.suk11.com\' rel="nofollow" target=\'_blank\'>Suk11 Hostel!</a>
Old 09-01-2004, 09:26 AM   #3
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Hell, I'll go for the name alone...

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:40 AM   #4
joanofarc
Weasel Jones

Wink

yeah, it does have a funny name it's basically just an amalgam of the hostels addresss though: sukhumvit road, soi (street) 11. that's another thing to note though, - it's far outside the city center, or at least the area where all the temples and major attractions are - i prefer that type of lodging myself though.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:09 AM   #5
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Cool

Quote:
you'd never believe how TOTALLY SEXY the pics from my trip are...
Well, seeing is believing my dear - so SHOW US THE PIX!!!
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 01:45 AM   #6
aSiAnRiCk
Members

Send a message via ICQ to aSiAnRiCk Send a message via AIM to aSiAnRiCk Send a message via MSN to aSiAnRiCk Send a message via Yahoo to aSiAnRiCk

Hey Joan

Sorry for bumping an old thread

I'm interested in staying with them but I sent them an email few days ago and still no reply I'll give them some more time

My question is .. how's the security with this hostel? Do they have a storage where you can safely secure your luggage?

I'll have more than a backpack with me lol
More like 2 - 50 lbs luggage, a carry-on and my backpack.

If not safe, I can always leave them at the airport luggage storage.

How much was the taxi to the hostel from / to the airport?

And I know they said No Overnight Guest allowed but is it virtually impossible to sneak one in?

Thanks in advance for the info!

ps: How long did it take them to reply to your email? lol
Old 01-02-2006, 09:24 AM   #7
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

I can't answer anything about that hostel, but I can tell you that the taxi fare might run you 200 to 300 baht ($5 to $9 USD), depending on time of day and traffic (could be less but I am trying to be conservative). A couple of tips about taxis in BKK:

1.) Avoid all the touts INSIDE the airport asking you if you want a taxi (and there are a ton of them). These are all meterless taxis and they will probably try to charge you upwards of 400 to 500 baht - basically a rip off.

2.) There are two ways to get a metered taxi at the airport. The traditional way is to go outside the terminal and line up on the sidewalk in the metered taxi line. There is a booth that will record what hotel you are going to and will assign you a taxi. Late at night (when most international flights get into BKK) the line is LONG so, another and faster way to get a taxi is:

3.) Go upstairs one floor to the arrivals level (can take an elevator). Go outside and score a taxi that just dropped someone off. This can save you 30 minutes waiting in the sweltering humidity. Make sure the driver turns on the meter - tell him to turn on the meter (with a smile) if he does not.

Just as a recommendation, Suhkumvit Rd is sort of the tourist strip geared towards hotels vs. hostels - it is kind of far away from Khao San Rd where most backpackers stay. If traveling alone, I would highly recommend going to Khao San Rd instead of Suhkumvit - you will meet more people and feel more at home in a backpacker crowd versus an older crowd of mixed families and sex tourists.

Good luck and enjoy!!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:06 PM   #8
joanofarc
Weasel Jones

the hostel is totally safe and they do offer baggage storage for 50 baht per day. i've left stuff there plenty of times, no problem. they are very strict about overnight guests as well - i wouldn't try that there. have fun. it really is the only place i'll stay in bangkok.. it's not a party type environment though. more a place for the thoughtful type traveller.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:15 PM   #9
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
more a place for the thoughtful type traveller
Jeez...whattayaknow...underneath that gruff, kick ass and take names tough chick exterior is a sensitive 'thoughtful' traveler.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Old 01-04-2006, 10:02 AM   #10
aSiAnRiCk
Members

Send a message via ICQ to aSiAnRiCk Send a message via AIM to aSiAnRiCk Send a message via MSN to aSiAnRiCk Send a message via Yahoo to aSiAnRiCk

Quote:
Originally posted by LiveFreeorDie@Jan 2 2006, 01:24 PM
I can't answer anything about that hostel, but I can tell you that the taxi fare might run you 200 to 300 baht ($5 to $9 USD), depending on time of day and traffic (could be less but I am trying to be conservative).* A couple of tips about taxis in BKK:

1.) Avoid all the touts INSIDE the airport asking you if you want a taxi (and there are a ton of them).* These are all meterless taxis and they will probably try to charge you upwards of 400 to 500 baht - basically a rip off.

2.) There are two ways to get a metered taxi at the airport.* The traditional way is to go outside the terminal and line up on the sidewalk in the metered taxi line.* There is a booth that will record what hotel you are going to and will assign you a taxi.* Late at night (when most international flights get into BKK) the line is LONG so, another and faster way to get a taxi is:

3.) Go upstairs one floor to the arrivals level (can take an elevator). Go outside and score a taxi that just dropped someone off.* This can save you 30 minutes waiting in the sweltering humidity.* Make sure the driver turns on the meter* - tell him to turn on the meter (with a smile) if he does not.

Just as a recommendation, Suhkumvit Rd is sort of the tourist strip geared towards hotels vs. hostels - it is kind of far away from Khao San Rd where most backpackers stay.* If traveling alone, I would highly recommend going to Khao San Rd instead of Suhkumvit - you will meet more people and feel more at home in a backpacker crowd versus an older crowd of mixed families and sex tourists.

Good luck and enjoy!!
[snapback]95985[/snapback]
Wow that's some useful tips! Especially since my NWA flight from NRT arrives at 00:30

I went ahead and booked a room at Suk11 on Sukhumvit Rd. Maybe I'll stay in Khao San Rd next time.

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-04-2006, 10:02 AM   #11
aSiAnRiCk
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by LiveFreeorDie@Jan 2 2006, 01:24 PM
I can't answer anything about that hostel, but I can tell you that the taxi fare might run you 200 to 300 baht ($5 to $9 USD), depending on time of day and traffic (could be less but I am trying to be conservative).* A couple of tips about taxis in BKK:

1.) Avoid all the touts INSIDE the airport asking you if you want a taxi (and there are a ton of them).* These are all meterless taxis and they will probably try to charge you upwards of 400 to 500 baht - basically a rip off.

2.) There are two ways to get a metered taxi at the airport.* The traditional way is to go outside the terminal and line up on the sidewalk in the metered taxi line.* There is a booth that will record what hotel you are going to and will assign you a taxi.* Late at night (when most international flights get into BKK) the line is LONG so, another and faster way to get a taxi is:

3.) Go upstairs one floor to the arrivals level (can take an elevator). Go outside and score a taxi that just dropped someone off.* This can save you 30 minutes waiting in the sweltering humidity.* Make sure the driver turns on the meter* - tell him to turn on the meter (with a smile) if he does not.

Just as a recommendation, Suhkumvit Rd is sort of the tourist strip geared towards hotels vs. hostels - it is kind of far away from Khao San Rd where most backpackers stay.* If traveling alone, I would highly recommend going to Khao San Rd instead of Suhkumvit - you will meet more people and feel more at home in a backpacker crowd versus an older crowd of mixed families and sex tourists.

Good luck and enjoy!!
[snapback]95985[/snapback]
Wow that's some useful tips! Especially since my NWA flight from NRT arrives at 00:30

I went ahead and booked a room at Suk11 on Sukhumvit Rd. Maybe I'll stay in Khao San Rd next time.

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-04-2006, 10:10 AM   #12
joanofarc
Weasel Jones

Wink

"Jeez...whattayaknow...underneath that gruff, kick ass and take names tough chick exterior is a sensitive 'thoughtful' traveler."

oh, yeah right! : ) i'm a TOTAL sweetheart and you all know it! me, gruff? never.

Old 01-04-2006, 10:14 AM   #13
aSiAnRiCk
Members

oops ... sorry for the double posts

Quote:
Originally posted by joanofarc@Jan 3 2006, 05:06 PM
the hostel is totally safe and they do offer baggage storage for 50 baht per day.* i've left stuff there plenty of times, no problem.* they are very strict about overnight guests as well - i wouldn't try that there.* have fun.* it really is the only place i'll stay in bangkok.. it's not a party type environment though.* more a place for the thoughtful type traveller.
[snapback]96264[/snapback]
I went ahead and called them directly

They said no one gonna be at the lobby between midnight and 8AM. That means the baggage storage will be locked and she said I have to take my luggage to the room

I hope the hallway is big enough for them ... and crap ... I forgot about the stairs too

Just a thought ... if no ones gonna be at the lobby, they can't really enforce the No Overnight Guest right?

And I guess I can be considered as a "thoughtful type traveler"

Anyway ... I went ahead and booked a room there!! I reserved the one with private bathroom. It costs $500 bht which comes out to $12.50 (from what it says in my online statement).

Thanks for the info. I'm so excited ... can't wait!
Old 01-04-2006, 10:49 AM   #14
joanofarc
Weasel Jones

look, don't bring overnight guests there. it would be totally rude! there are PLENTY of affordable places that allow that type of thing, please, be considerate of the type of environment they are trying to foster there. if you want to participate in the sex-tourist scene, fine by me, but keep it where it belongs. suk11 is a nice place - keep it that way!
Old 01-05-2006, 02:16 AM   #15
aSiAnRiCk
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by joanofarc@Jan 4 2006, 02:49 PM
look, don't bring overnight guests there.* it would be totally rude!* there are PLENTY of affordable places that allow that type of thing, please, be considerate of the type of environment they are trying to foster there.* if you want to participate in the sex-tourist scene, fine by me, but keep it where it belongs.* suk11 is a nice place - keep it that way!
[snapback]96459[/snapback]
LOL ... don't worry ... I won't have the time for it as I only have 12 hours in BKK this time.

i was just wondering
Old 01-05-2006, 03:51 PM   #16
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

Dude, if you want to learn about that side of BKK, check out this website. It actually has a lot about BKK in general, teaching English in Thailand as well as stuff about the 'nightlife'.

Stickman

Old 01-05-2006, 04:46 PM   #17
joanofarc
Weasel Jones

yeah, totally. stickman has a great site and i'm certainly not knocking sex tourism. it is what it is, your men, your pigs (haha) - really though, i just love suk11 and i don't go for thai hookers and i appreciate that type of vibe in an accomodation (whore free). it's way funner to whore in patpong anyway... sukhumvit is for the real old fatty ex-pats.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:14 AM   #18
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
i'm certainly not knocking sex tourism
Well, you can knock it. It is a very unfortunate aspect of Thailand. I can see both sides of the issue but it still can be rather shocking at first until you become de-sensitized a bit. Especially when you see a 60 year fat old german dude wearing sandals with grey shaggy socks walking down the sidewalk holding hands with an 18 year old thai girl....that is a bit creepy.

I think any guy going to Thailand for the first time should read Stickman because it can be....what's the right way to put it........deceptively easy to not understand what is really going on in Thailand. You might meet a hot chick at a bar (not an obvious hooker bar, either - this can happen on Khao San Rd) and think the rules are the same as in the states or Europe....the rules are not the same and guys just need to know the score. The women are VERY friendly in Thailand, and there is a reason for that, it's not just because you are so 'hansum'.

A poster some months ago on this website made a comment that made me laugh my ass off. He said that there are no hookers in Gulliver's on Khao San Rd.....that they keep them out and all the girls in there are 'normal' (i.e. non-hookers). Yeah right...keep dreaming. Wherever Falang guys hang out....thai hookers hang out. If you meet a single thai girl in a bar...especially if she is by herself.....you need to know the score.

Just educate yourself, be safe and keep your wits about you.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:44 PM   #19
aSiAnRiCk
Members

Hello

I have returned from my trip and I just want to say that I f'in love Suk11

I stayed there two different times.

Excellent location and the place is really peaceful

And for less than $15/night, you can't beat it
Old 09-01-2006, 08:18 PM   #20
argylecat26
Members

Just wanted to say thanks to fellow TPunkers. I'm heading to bagkok for a few days in a little bit, so I'll have to check this place out. I havent been steered wrong yet by everyone here, so Im sure its another great suggestion.

AC
argylecat26 is offline   Reply With Quote