don't ignore hostel curfews! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-29-2003, 02:05 PM   #1
Diorama
TPunk Emeritus

Unhappy

yes you know them. Those pesky curfews that curb your fun. "must be back before 12pm or doors will me locked" pssst....uh 12pm year right I'm on vacation. I won't be back until 12 NOON. Your doors won't "actually" be locked. Your just saying that.....

well They do lock the doors! I was in Oban, Scotland and a bunch of us from the hostel went out to the local pub. We were talking to the locals and hung out with them the whole night. I was talking with this one guy and he asked if I had been to the castle which is located on a hill above the town. I hadn't since I arrived later in the day. Well he offered to take me up to it and show me it. I was like great a personal tour guide (yes i was drunk as well). But I remembered the curfew. This local said "what curfew??" , "they never actually lock the doors" Oh how I trusted him. We walked up to the castle and hung out there. Looked at my watch and realized I should get to bed. yup guess what. hostel doors were Locked and all the lights were out. it was 1 or 2 in the morning. I got pissed off and turned to this guy and said "you got me in this mess, your staying with me!" For the next 3 hours we walked around town and tried to find somewhere to sleep. Park benches, public washrooms, random alleys. This guy worked at the local hotel and thought that we could sleep in there. But guess what the night porter was sound asleep. grrrrrrr....bastard.
SO anyways at about 5:00 this guy (call him henry) saw a car driving by and grabbed me and we hid behind a pole. I didn't know what was going on. Thought it was the cops. Turned out it was henry's father looking for him. Henry ran away and literally left me standing on a street corner at 5:00 in the morning. Never saw him again. bastard. I turned around went to the phone booth and sat there in misery til my hostel opened at 6:30. Don't let this happen to you!!!!

:D
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 02:11 PM   #2
travelpunk
Admin

Hahaha :D Great f´n story(should´ve entered it in the contest-still got a day left- any other?!)!

Thats the kind of stuff that´ll make your trip memorable! Yeah, curfews suck! I always go for hostels with NO CURFEWS because I´m always out till the wee hours of the night!

That Bastard Henry ! But I bet the castle was beautiful!
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 06:52 PM   #3
TUI
Members

Send a message via MSN to TUI Send a message via Yahoo to TUI

Dio, my only question is...Was it worth it?
Old 09-10-2003, 02:44 PM   #4
upstatecb
Members

Send a message via AIM to upstatecb

A hostel w/ a curfew is a hostel where you won't find me !
upstatecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 03:05 PM   #5
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd

Wow, this Scottish boy left you hangin while pops was out searchin for him? You hangin out with jailbait or somethin, Dio?!
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 07:40 PM   #6
Diorama
TPunk Emeritus

no i was hanging out with an 18 year old boy.. and NO it wasn't worth it.
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Old 09-11-2003, 12:34 AM   #7
travelpunk
Admin

Demi Moore & and Ashton what´s his face, Cameron Diaz and youngen Justin timberlake, Madonna and Guy Ritchie, Dio and an 18yo Scottish lad... New Fad? Older women with younger guys ?
Old 09-26-2003, 08:32 AM   #8
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Funny, my memories of the opposite sex in Oban, Scotland, are a bit nicer!

My two friends and I chatted up the "Sheila" (Australian girl, naturally!) working at the desk at the hostel. We asked her what would be a good place to go for a few drinks. She gave us directions to her favorite pub. Being the smooth talker, I, of course, invited her to go with us. She said she might show up later.

Lo and behold, after about three beers she DOES show up. She was the one who introduced to Cider, which we all quickly switched to drinking. My friend Tom jokes that I used the infamous "Mike Courting Ritual" on her. I made an origami bird (whose wings flap when you pull its tail) for her. Well, when the curfew came and went, she smiled and said she had the key to the hostel. When we did come in, all the lights were out but we found our beds just fine.

The next day, my buddies headed off to one destination and me and the Sheila and I went to another! Hope nobody is upset at me for using "Sheila," it's just that this was more than 20 years ago and her name escapes me! We spent a romantic couple days together before I rejoined my friends and she went back to work.

I'm not bragging -- it's just Diorama's situation brought back pleasant memories that I felt like sharing...!

Seeya!
-- Mike Demana
Check out my travel web page at: http://home.earthlink.net/~mikedemana/
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 10:48 PM   #9
travelpunk
Admin

Thanks for sharing Mike! The unexpected elements that pop into your world while you are traveling, just makes it all worth while! Experiences like that are priceless and can get you hooked on traveling forever B) !
Old 10-06-2003, 06:36 PM   #10
Diorama
TPunk Emeritus

hmph! well next time your in oban, sucker punch the 18 year old boy for me..will ya.. :D

Tp- ugh NO way. I have zero intrest in younger guys. I'm only 21, so a younger guy would have to be a teenager and frankly I need more maturity than that.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Old 10-07-2003, 07:02 AM   #11
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

I'll take care of the wee laddie for you, Dio.

So...don't like younger men, eh? What about older ones? B)
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 02:02 AM   #12
travelpunk
Admin

yeah, babe! What about us handsome, mature, and sophisticated gentlemen ?