4-6 weeks in the UK - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-05-2004, 11:53 AM   #1
Sean
Members

Send a message via AIM to Sean

Hey everyone! How's it going? So here's the deal, I'm just starting to plan the itenerary for my 6 month backpacking trip in western Europe. I figure I'm gonna try and plan this thing in steps because its a LONG trip...

I know that I want to spend at least a month in the UK and Ireland but not more than 6 weeks. I definitely want to spend 1-2 weeks in London, at least a week split between Edinburgh and Glasgow, and a few days in Dublin.

I've been reading travel books like crazy, and my problem is that I want to go EVERYWHERE, everything sounds so amazing.

It would be great if anyone could give me some advice on places that truely arn't to be missed, also, does anyone know how much Britrail passes cost aproximatly and what is the best (cheapest) way to get from island to island?

I'm sure I will love wherever I go, I just need some help choosing the places!
Old 05-06-2004, 11:59 AM   #2
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

Well Sean, you are going to have one fantstic time!!! If I had to recommend a couple things to do in the UK is...

Giants Causeway on the North coast of Northern Ireland

and

Something I wish I had done...

Visit the Scottish Highlands...

Have a sweet trip!!!

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 07:59 PM   #3
Delaney
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Delaney Send a message via MSN to Delaney

Try Ryanair.com. Sometimes you can find flights from island to island for VERY cheap!

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
You are the guy who'll decide where to go. - Dr. Suess

Why I'm not on TPunk as much anymore: http://www.kaushallab.cbl.umces.edu/people.html#katie
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:01 PM   #4
wanderingwaterman
Members

I agree with Delaney, RyanAir does have the most insane prices, but don't forget to check with Virgin when you're there. They handle both flights and trains and they are wicked cheap. Hitching in the U.K. isn't too bad once you're out of London...If you get a chance, you should check out the Welsh countryside, spent 5 months there, just very mellow...goodluck with it.
I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time. CREDO - Jack London
wanderingwaterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 02:40 AM   #5
shininglight
Members

Hey,

I live in scotland right now (in aberdeen, north east scotland). edinburgh's a fantastic city, visiting during the summer festival is fantastic if you dont mind the tourists but otherwise just try walking some of the old back streets alone cos you get a real feel for life in the city.
i was just wondering what attracts you to glasgow?
and btw, i totally agree with the scottish highlands its a must do. the west coast, at fort william and oban is beautiful and you can get some pretty cheap accomodatiopn as well.

If you happen to come to the boring oil rich city that aberdeen is my couch is yours

*Kev
shininglight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 03:48 AM   #6
beergal
TPunk Emeritus

The Uk is an amazing place but dont just try and stick around london! Its expensive dirty and over-rated! Like other people have said definately try and do Ireland and Scotland but dont forget Wales they equally have beautiful sights. There are also the major cities of England to visit such as Newcastle (excellent party scence on a wkend! Plus cheap beer!) Manchester (home of canal street (excellent gay scene and people watching atmosphere!) Liverpool (home of the beatles and the mighty Liverpool Footbal Club! oh and dont be deterred with non scousers going calm down calm down, it really is one of the safets cities i have been to and being European Capital Of Culture has had extensive regeneration and is home of the 2nd tate Gallery on the Albert Docks! if you do go to liverpool make sure you go on the ferry across the mersey you will end up i birkenhead, go to birkenhead park, interesting to note that central park in New York was modelled on Birkenhead Park) Then you should try areas like Bristol (home of wallace and Gromit!) plus they do a great beverage called cider! The drier the better!
As for train companies make sure you use the national rail site and try and book about 3 weeks before for great savings they will redirect you to virgin if you use that site!

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 04:30 PM   #7
jacksonxdh
Members

Send a message via AIM to jacksonxdh

I really don't know anything other than the preparations i've made myself for my UK trip, but if you go to a travel agent in the States before you go over, you can get GREAT deals on BritRail passes. I got one called a BritRail Youth (under 26) Flexipass, which allows me 15 days of travel over a 2 month period, starting the day I first use it, for a little over $300 american. Also, if anyone wants to offer a couch to me while i'm in the UK, i'd love to take them up on it. I'm poor.

"No brains, no headache. That's my motto. That, and everybody wang chung tonight." - Out Cold
jacksonxdh is offline   Reply With Quote