ot: terriable night - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-16-2004, 02:48 PM   #1
clevercraig
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Yahoo to clevercraig

Around 3:17 last night i was on the computer when i heard a wierd noise, like a large truck driving by....When i go up to look there was a twisted piece of steel out side.....Some college had come through my small town going like 75....must have fell asleep or something.....hit some old stone steps and launched like 50 feet in the air, splintered a tree and the kid was tossed out of the vehicle about 100 feet down the road.....he was nasty, i couldn't believe what i was seing, shit, it was bad. the car was a grand cherokee....the thing looked like...... i don't know, nothing really, crushed.....the kids freaking shoes and clothes were all over the road, and his lacrosse stick was broken in the tree......shit, i can't believe it....as I type this i am looking right outside where his body was......when the cops and fireguys cleaned eveything up it was morning.........I looked outside at the spot where the mess was and the same calm strip of road was lit up with sun like nothig ever happened.....man, life is fucked up....sorry. I had to let it out i guess.

England. Belgium. Germany. Czech Republic. Slovakia. Poland. Holland. Summer '04

Skagway, Alaska Summer '05

Skagway, Alaska Summer '06

Peru, Fall '06
clevercraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 02:56 PM   #2
clevercraig
TPunk Recognized

shit, the kid was up here with his fiance' i just found out.....

England. Belgium. Germany. Czech Republic. Slovakia. Poland. Holland. Summer '04

Peru, Fall '06
Old 04-16-2004, 03:03 PM   #3
Bgirl
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Yahoo to Bgirl

I know what you felt when you saw it... I've seen many accidents with fatal victims... In Brazil the roads are very dangerous. When I'm traveling around Brazil this is easy to see, unfortunately. I almost was a victim in February during the carnival. My friends didn't have enough money to buy a flight ticket to go to Salvador then we decided to go by bus. Two days before the carnival we decided that to go by bus would be very tiring. Then we went by plane... The other day my cell phone didn't stop ringing... The driver of that bus I was going to Salvador slept while he was driving and everybody died. My family and friends got really worried
I celebrated the carnival and my life during these days.
Old 04-17-2004, 05:52 AM   #4
***Beady***
TPunk Recognized

Eesh, it's a shock seeing your first accident. Especially when it's not an every day to day occurance...thank f**k.
I used to work at a hospital going on the wards and into A&E, I've seen tons of dead bodies now, but it's a strange feeling when someone has 'just passed away', as apposed to an accident death. When they bring in the accidents into A&E and your there and you have to do the work, its hard to dis-connect the thoughts from your head and just get down to work. I've seen the beginnings of an autopsy aswell. My department was opposite the morgue, and I got friends with the morgue guys. That was nasty, yellow lighting inside, and a real strong smell of disinfectant. In the summer, it's awful, especially when theres been a big accident, and they start rtunning out of morgue space. The smell of the rotting flesh hits you like nothing else. Very very wierd, I won't go into details.

I've seen a 10 car pile up when I was drving down on the motorway down by way. There was only 2 people that survived. When I was driving by it all, it's really freaky. The windows are just red. The metals all twisted, and it just looks messy, and as if it's not really there.
The worst I came across was when I was walking through town to meet friends, and some guy on a motorbike had hit a car, and wrapped himself round a lamp post. His bones were sticking out of his flesh everywhere. there were people already there, so I just solemly walked past.

I'm the same now, I am thankful I'm still alive. It makes you appreciate life much more.
***Beady*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 10:10 AM   #5
FireGuy
Members

Amen to that Beady, it's all about appreciating life. Bad things happen sometimes. The best advice I can give is when seeing something that really bothers you, is to talk about it, let it out. Be honest with yourself about that. If you bottle it up it's going to eat away at you. I know this, I've seen it happen to people firsthand. Just talking about it with a close friend helps greatly.

Hang in clevercraig.
FireGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 11:36 PM   #6
Kassandra13
T-PUNK RANGER

Send a message via AIM to Kassandra13 Send a message via Yahoo to Kassandra13

Oh dear, how awful. I'm so sorry you had to see that.

It's true though, makes you appreciate life.
Old 04-18-2004, 04:01 AM   #7
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

Dam brotha, I feel you pain..its a sad thing to watch a life expire in the blink of an eye, I have seen too many myself. If its bugging you, make sure you talk to someone about it, keeping an emoption bottled up from an event like that can not very healthy...When we deal with that type of thing at work, we have to see a councelor

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 01:32 PM   #8
tecia
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to tecia

that is really hard i'm so sorry!
ya the best thing you can do is talk about it. i'm not good at dealing with these things but being around people who care helps. Bgirl you also...every thing happens for a reason...that is really scary that you could have been on that bus!!!
Craig we are all here for you man.
Take care Tecia

T & A rule!!!

tecia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 06:18 PM   #9
Fedfe
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadian Dude@Apr 18 2004, 03:01 AM
Dam brotha, I feel you pain..its a sad thing to watch a life expire in the blink of an eye, I have seen too many myself.* If its bugging you, make sure you talk to someone about it, keeping* an emoption bottled up from an event like that can not very healthy...When we deal with that type of thing at work, we have to see a councelor
damn, CD what do you for a living? just curious...

makes you really think about your life...
Fedfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 11:37 PM   #10
blinkchick2134
TPunk Emeritus

My dad was at the scene of an accident a few years back. His store used to be on this side road. You know the ones that only the locals know and go 70 on it even if the limit is 30. Well this soccer mom van (had a middle aged lady, her 12 yr old and a baby in it) and a car with three 20 somethings in it, they hit head on outside his office.

The mom had reached to help her daughter or something and swerved into the car. The van skidded off into a ditch right off the road and the car spun up onto my dad's grass, just missing the huge eastern redwood tree. My dad saw it all and ran out to help. One of the 20-somethings had gotten out of the car but had blood all over her and was mumbling...basically in totally shock. My dad started freaking out...he later compared it to watching 'Dawn of the Dead' - - how they walked anyway. Everyone was ok besides minor cuts, scrapes and I think one person had a broken arm.

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 03:38 AM   #11
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Hey Bgirl -- a friend of mine had the same experience.

There is a fairly well known airline crash a couple decades back in Sioux City, Iowa. The plane crashed upon emergency landing and basically cartwheeled down the runway. I believe more than half the people on it died.

My friend Craig was booked on that flight, coming home to Columbus from visiting his parents. His Mom had talked him into not leaving the day before, because there was some get together with relatives she wanted him to attend.

I don't think he ever looked up to see if the person sitting in his assigned seat died (they had a map in the paper a week or two later), but god...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 09:44 AM   #12
Bgirl
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Yahoo to Bgirl

Quote:
Hey Bgirl -- a friend of mine had the same experience.
This is a horrible feeling... You realize your life is so fragile...For a few days people at my job thought I was in that bus... Hey! But I'm here telling you the story!!!!!
Thanks GOD!
Old 04-19-2004, 09:50 AM   #13
Fedfe
TPunk Recognized

MY GOD people...I Have to get on an airplane in 8 days!!!!

wwmike, I'm not sure if I would've liked to have seen whether the person in my seat had died...but at the same time, how could you resist....
guh.
gives me shivers.
Fedfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 05:37 PM   #14
Mocassin
TPunk Emeritus

I'm sorry Clevercraig...There are things in life we'd rather not see...But being a medical student, I know I will have to face death in all its angles...I try to think of death as being part of life, not an ugly and scary thing. But when it comes too soon or in a violent way, it's hard to understand.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:29 PM   #15
clevercraig
TPunk Recognized

honestly, after reading all your posts, I thank you for your concern as far as me being scared, lost, or troubled. However in retrospect I think what caught me off gaurd was the odd facination. Before i came up to the body I knew what i was going to see, i easily could have avoided looking at it. But I had to. Part of me wanted to in a way, and that is what troubled me the most. I am not sadistic nor dark, however something in my nature wanted to see what I saw if it makes sense. Perhaps it is part of the human nature that needs to see mortality to understand it, i don't know.....In no way did i get a perverse feeling out of it, but rather a connection? A true understanding maybe of how fragile life is.....I almost killed myself in a drunken car accident 2 years ago.....And then to see someone who actually did? strange.......

Peru, Fall '06
Old 04-20-2004, 05:55 PM   #16
Mocassin
TPunk Emeritus

Yeah, I would have looked too for sure!

The first dead person I saw (appart from a funeral and the anatomy classes) was in Bulgaria during my stage...I spent a day with the paramedics and we arrived at an old couple's appartment and the man was lying on the sofa, his mouth wide open...I looked at him and realized he was not breathing...The doctor I was with looked at me and said 'He is dead'...I had to mesure his blood pressure and record his heart beat (needless to say the line was flat!) to assess the death.

While I was doing this, the lady was trying to shut his mouth by pushing his lower jaw up...The man was already cold and stiff and the jaw kept dropping back...

I couldn't help myself, the situation was so funny...I had a hard time not to laugh!!!! I don't know why, I guess we all have a different reaction, but I could not feel sad while I was moving his arm so I could take his blood pressure...Weird experience!!!!