Budgeting - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Travel Budget, Money Matters, Financial Talk
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Travel Budget, Money Matters, Financial Talk Mom, can I borrow ten grand?! Gimme yo mastercard! How the heck can I pay for my trip?! Ideas for making money. How much dough do I need?

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-10-2003, 02:40 PM   #1
Duffy

Hi there, i'm just doing some budgeting for my first trip to europe and wanted to know what everyone thinks of it. I'm planning on backpacking for at least 3 months then possibly working in the UK for an additional 3 months.

Option 1 - Backpack europe for 3 months and work in UK for additional 3 months. Budget for total trip including flight from Canada, railpass, passport, travel insurance, and daily living expenses = $9,800.00

Option 2 - Take a 30day Contiki tour then backpack on my own for 2 months and then work in UK for additional 3 months. Includes everything as in option 1 plus the contiki holiday package London to Athens = $10,700.00.

Do u think i'm way over budget or under-budget for a trip like this. Has anyone ever done anything similar to this. Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thanx
Old 06-10-2003, 10:46 PM   #2
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

I think for either option, if you play your cards right, you should have more than enough dough to make the trip, i was in europe the last time for 5 weeks and it cost me about 3600CDN, flight not included. You should be able to have a great time and be able to have a couple fancy nights out. Just eat cheap, sleep cheap, and have fun and it will be all good, which ever option you pick.

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 05:06 AM   #3
travelpunk
Admin

Welcome Duffy!

For traveling Europe, you should be fine. But, was that in Canadian, US, or Euros? If itīs the latter two, youīll be alright. If itīs in Canadian, Iīm not sure, but it may be tight. Then again, youīll be working in the UK to compensate for any needed funds. I know that itīs expensive there so hope your job will pay you enough for living expenses and for all the extras.

On the Travelpunk-Budget page, I talk about over budgeting. In my opinion, itīs nice to over budget and come home with cash. Itīs a lot better than coming home without a pot to piss in :D
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 07:36 AM   #4
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

9,800.00 CDN$ will give you around 6100€ which will give you about €68 a day. But if you take into account the railpass, and flight, you will be cutting it very close. If you can find some work there you will for sure be ok, especially if your making pounds.

I guess I don't realize how longs its been since I was in Europe, I have never evn used a Euro

Old 06-12-2003, 03:56 AM   #5
travelpunk
Admin

Euros are starting to feel like the British pounds! Canīt believe how strong theyīve gotten Itīs definitely made things much easier for the tourists in Europe. What a hassle that was to change your money in every country that you visited whew* glad thatīs over with.

Yeah, 68 Euros a day should be good, providing that youīve got your transportation already covered. If not, get crackīn

In regards to work in the UK, you might want to look for the thread regarding "bartending" started by our bartending expert, Candian Dude. Could help you out big time, when the time comes .
Old 06-12-2003, 10:50 PM   #6
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

ahhh T-Punk, you make me blush....Hey Duffy why don't you become a registered member? this is a great place to hang and get tips and info on travel...add it to your favs list...you never know what will come up that will be helpful to ya! :D

Old 06-13-2003, 02:34 AM   #7
travelpunk
Admin

īpreciate the plug, CD I think Duffy may have been a fly-by-night . Still working on ideas on how I can make this board "sticky," on a guerilla budget that is...
Old 06-13-2003, 08:47 AM   #8
Duffy

Hey dudes, i'm not a fly-by-nite opperation. I really find this website and message board informative. One of the best i've seen on the web. Thanks for all your helpfull advice. I check the message board often so i guess i should become a member, 'eh? Oh ya, i increased my budget to $12,000.00 (Cnd) to cover all my costs including flights, railpass, etc. Thanks for the help.

Later!
Old 06-13-2003, 10:34 PM   #9
travelpunk
Admin

Hey Duffy! I guess that got your attention :D hahaha...

Thanks for the compliments! Itīs good to hear that the site and boards were able to provide some assistance to you B) . I think raising the ante to $12Gīs is certainly going to make a big difference on your travels. Better safe than sorry.

I heard that contiki is like Club Med on a bus ! That is to say that people are hooking up left and right! Awww yeah! I was looking at the Contiki Site and didnīt see any 30 day trips, but saw 13 days for $965 Euros- Thatīs from Rome to Madrid. 30 days sounds a bit long and expensive for a trip like that, no? Maybe not.

Iīd imagine, with your Eurail pass and staying in hostels, you can take train rides along the same route and party at hostels/clubs/pubs for probably half that total 30 day Contiki cost . Not sure, but I think you can. Anyone? Anyone?
Old 06-18-2003, 12:26 PM   #10
Duffy
Members

Actually the Contiki trip i was thinking of taking was the London to Athens 23day trip for about $2550.00 (cdn). I 've been hearing that the contiki tours are alot of fun with an excellant group of people that u tour with. Once the 23day tour is over i was kinda thinking of bumming around Corfu for a while since the trip ends in Athens and then doing my own tour around europe maybe with some of the people i will meet from the tour group. Then finally end up back in the UK and work a while there. I dunno thats my plan that i would like to stick too. What do u guys think? Any suggestions would be great. Also kinda considering of maybe doing an around the world ticket. But that may not happen.
Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 05:19 PM   #11
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

Contiki can be a little more expensive, but everything is taken care of for you, transport, accomodations, some food and what not, they take you to the most interesting/common of sites in the countries you will visit. I guess you are wondering how I know this, well I took a 21 day Contiki on my second trip to europe and I had a blast, I met great people who I am still very much in contact with, and I got to relax a little, which at that time is what I was looking for. I was afraid to do it again just in case it did not turn out as well as the first, so I will not do another, but I would recommend it if you are looking for a somewhat guided view of Europe. I can not stress enough that you will meet some really fantastic people when and if you do a Contiki, but on the other hand when I did Europe on my own, I met some great peps as well. So ultimatly the choice will be yours, I would recommend Contiki if you were looking for some feed back. But I also really enjoyed travel on my own. Its not an easy pick. Some would consider Contiki the "cowards" way out, but for you, you will be in Europe for months after the Contiki is finished so you will get to explore on your own too.

If you want to talk about Contiki some more let me know and post your questions, I will answer the best I can.

:D

Old 06-21-2003, 02:39 PM   #12
crionnacht
TPunk Emeritus

i think those people who would consider it a "cowards" way out are nothing but travel snobs. Honestly, how can packing up and venturing out to a new locale be considered, in any way, cowardly? just a thought.

crion
Old 06-24-2003, 02:51 AM   #13
travelpunk
Admin

I hear that.
I, for one, praise anyone taking risks by stepping out of their comfort zone. As long as youīre off experiencing something new, in a foreign place, and totally away from your daily routine, itīs all good. Contiki or solo, your living life. Iīm envious of those that have done both! Iīve always wanted to do Contiki myself for a week or two(I better hurry up! Think they got an age limit ), I know it would be a blast!
Old 06-24-2003, 12:42 PM   #14
Duffy
Members

Talking

Hey Canadian Dude! When did u do your contiki trip? Did u travel solo or with a buddy? Did u carry most of your items in a backpack or did u go the suitcase way?I myself will probally go by myself, i think it would be quite easy to meet people on this sort of trip cuz u travel with the same group for several days or weeks. I can't think of any other questions at the moment that i wanted to ask u. Maybe later on closer to departure date.
Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 04:39 AM   #15
travelpunk
Admin

Second time I went to Paris, about 2 years ago, I was visiting my girlfriend at the time and decided to bring a garment bag and one of those small travel suitcases, with wheels and a handle, instead of my backpack. Boy what a mistake that was! Itīs just a pain wheeling luggage on surfaces that are not smoothly paved and carrying crap up and down the steep & narrow stair cases that youīll find all over Europe.

Much easier to throw the pack on the back- hands free !
Old 06-27-2003, 05:16 AM   #16
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

I did my Contiki in 2001, did the European Experience tour for 21 days, and had a blast, I brought with me a desposible suitcase, that I could ditch after the tour and swing into my pack for the remainder of my trip, just watch the weight and size of your bag, tyhey a a bit strict about that. I went on my own and I am glad i did, you should have seen the people thatr traveled with friends, they started getting into fights and shit when they were drinking...these are like 23-24 year old guys fighting because one of them met a chick or a new guy friend, it was a joke...But dude, i tell ya, you wanna meet alot of great people, this is a good way of doing it. I won the award for the "hardest partier" and I got a wood'n clog in the Netherlands, that everyone signed....I was literally drunk for 21 days straight..no exageration and no lies...21 days dude, morning to night...and I got to see the sights....it was just a nice feeling to be able to know everything was already taken care of. :D B)

Old 06-27-2003, 02:34 PM   #17
travelpunk
Admin

Won the award for hardest partier- thats the life, dude! Good stuff my man :D ! What a cool souvenir to bring home. Some serious bragging rights there, chief!
Old 06-27-2003, 02:37 PM   #18
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

Dude, I brag about that one every chance I get, how many people can say that they passed out on a 3000 yr old alter in the ruins of Rome, only to wake up to a tour group of Japanese tourists taking pictures of your drunk ass...well, not exactly the traditional way to see Europe, but hey thats life!!!!

Old 06-28-2003, 02:41 PM   #19
travelpunk
Admin

:D :P Itīd be great to party with you and the crew someday, CD! I think we need to make the Ireland "group-meet-up-get-together-thing" a reality!
Itīs only like, $500 to fly out there(from LA), before or after summertime. Thatīs cheap , in my book.

Maybe we can plan it during the time Crio will be out and traveling about Europe so she can meet up with us. Itīs easier for us older folks to come up with that kind of dough, than it is for our graduating sista

Any input? Anyone? Anyone?
Old 06-28-2003, 06:21 PM   #20
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

Dude, I am fully into that for 2004, i need to know by Oct 2003, thats when i schedule my vaction time for the next year, so keep me posted!!! I think it would rock to get togeather, i know its only been a short while since I came to the bords, but i think you guys are pretty roc'n, so it would be kewl to hook up...dude i will prob see you in your town before then, I can get a flight and hotel from Toronto for like 600$CDN...my brother did it and said it's pretty amazing!!! We will hook up for a pint or two, or three....