Laos - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Asia

Asia Truly...a different world. Kazakhstan, Japan, and everything in between. Mekong River, Central Asia deserts, sticky rice, ancient traditions, temples, tuk-tuk...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-02-2004, 12:23 PM   #1
TUI
Members

Send a message via MSN to TUI Send a message via Yahoo to TUI

Im looking for a few tips on Laos. Anyone know what kind of prices are on beds (average) in Feb/Mar? What about stuff to do and see? Is it worth touring if in the area?
Old 04-03-2004, 07:29 AM   #2
joanofarc
Weasel Jones

laos is my #1 travel destination in s.e.a. - i can't say yet, but i'm sure sure it's worth a stop if in the area... it's gonna be hard for me to avoid a quick trip to angkor wat when i'm in thailand - i kind of like to do one country at a time though.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:30 PM   #3
butternut punkin
Members

Send a message via Yahoo to butternut punkin

Sorry TUI, went on a day trip to Laos, but did not stay overnight. Thailand side of the Golden triangle is a bit of fun though, opium museum etc. What I did see in Laos was snake whisky. It is whisky with coberas in it, I got a few bottles for friends at home, they loved them, customs were not so sure! It seemed to be a great place though, really relaxed. Also went on a day trip to Burma but that was really sad and hard work, glad I saw it but also glad I did not stay!! don't think that is much help.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:49 AM   #4
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

TP's own Atchoum has been there...you might try PM'ing her so she sees it when she checks in next.

I've talked to a good half dozen people, now, who have been there and they rave about. Really inexpensive, they said, and unspoiled. Everyone who's been there has told me they enjoyed it more than any other country in SE Asia...

I'd say go for it!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 02:28 PM   #5
Rozza
***** Senior *********

Location: WANTED! dead or at a meet-up ..... reward first round on Me
Send a message via Yahoo to Rozza

isn't laos a city in tibet?

Past Trip Albums:
Norway '05 Album

"'Kings. What a good idea.'Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tenedency to bend at the knees."
- Terry Prachett
Rozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:34 AM   #6
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

I think you're "laost" on this one, Roz. It is a nation in SE Asia...next to Vietnam, Thailand, etc.

worldwidemike
Old 04-12-2004, 05:22 AM   #7
Rozza
***** Senior *********

Location: WANTED! dead or at a meet-up ..... reward first round on Me
Send a message via Yahoo to Rozza

oops sorry, i'll find a forum on tibet then

Past Trip Albums:
Norway '05 Album

"'Kings. What a good idea.'Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tenedency to bend at the knees."
- Terry Prachett
Rozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 11:42 AM   #8
FeZnDaBoYz
Members

My dad was born in Vientien the capital of Laos. He was a monk from the age of 13 to 18 and i've been many beautiful pictures of temples and villages. He is going to be visiting there in October. I have yet to go but it's one of the places I want to go most. If you have any questions I would gladly ask my father. I'm sure he knows some great cultural areas if you're not into the city thing.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:05 PM   #9
Esterina
french touch

I know this post is from 2004, but I was away then and just found it now. For the sake of future travellers in that beautiful country, I'll try giving a few tips.

First of, people should hurry going there before it gets westernized. It is one of the very few countries that remain genuine. Its neighbours, Vietnam and Laos have already started changing.

As most of SEA countries, Laos is fairly cheap. One can get around with less than $15 a day, depending on the area. My average daily fees amount $11, I'm a super low budget backpacker. Of course, there are a good range of hotels/hostels in the main cities, from $3 hostel rooms to $100 hotel's. You can even find places for $1, in the countryside, with no service, shared "bucket baths" and squat toilets. «-- rare in Laos.

In Vientiane and Luang Prabang, great foreign restaurants for a few dollars a meal. This is where I had the best meals of my stay in Asia, but french and italian food. The noodle shops are unexpensive and serve good local food. Street vendors sell food to bus users, on the national roads. When the bus stops, they run to your window with their chicken on a stick (in fact a roasted bird), sticky rice (with coconut milk), corn, and more. No need to buy a snack in advance, the bus stops every one or two hours. Beer Lao is the only and very famous national beer (99% of the backpackers buy the beer lao t-shirt) and Lao Lao is the homemade rice alcohol you'll likely drink at any time of the day (can be the first thing you're offered in the morning ! ).

Luang Prabang is one of the prettiest thing, that makes Vientiane, the capital, look sad and boring. But I loved Vientiane. In which other capital would the locals greet you on the street as if you were family ? "Sabaidee" - hello in Lao.

Several cities from coloniasm are worth seeing. Well, pick one, no need to see all of them.

The south is charming. I recommend the Si Phan Don (= 4000 Islands), on the Mekong, just by the cambodian border. No luxuary around : electricity, tv and internet addicted, please avoid this place ! It's gorgeous, filled with partying backpackers, lots to do (visiting small intouched villages, temples, hicking, seeing the highest falls of SEA, rapids, wild dolphins), and also spots to be alone for those who don't feel like joining the others. Bamboo houses at $1 a night. It feels like paradise, really ! And you're on the Mekong River !

Bus drivers are crazy ; bring earplugs with you !

Yellow fever vaccine is supposed to be mandatory. But they didn't ask me to show my proof (I had it with me though). And for those travelling in the countryside, Malaria is a potential danger. I think the city areas aren't a problem (but I'm no expert, better make sure yourself).

Oh, and it is illegal to have sex with a Lao !

I don't know what more to add. Any questions ???

Quote:
Originally posted by Rozza@Apr 11 2004, 04:28 PM
isn't laos a city in tibet?
I think you meant Lassa, Tibet's "capital".

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:57 AM   #10
JustinDT
Members

Send a message via AIM to JustinDT

Ha, cool thread. Laos is the one place that is tempting me to go there instead of Europe. My best friend from 1st - 8th grade was from there and I'd just love to go see it for myself someday. Someday I will
JustinDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:04 PM   #11
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by atchoum@Feb 24 2006, 02:05 PM
Bamboo houses at $1 a night. It feels like paradise, really ! And you're on the Mekong River !
[snapback]104170[/snapback]
Holy crap.
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:26 PM   #12
Esterina
french touch

Justin, don't wait 10 years before going, it will all have changed by then !

Voyd, yep, paradise for one buck a night ! And that's not out of the bible...

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:17 PM   #13
Diorama
TPunk Emeritus

It's illegal to have sex with a lao!! Wow.

Thx for the great post. Just another destination on my already full list. Sounds beautiful. Love the fact that it's cheap. I think I'll save it for the time that i'm really really broke but need to get away.
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 01:34 AM   #14
travelpunk
Admin

Thanks, E! Nice post !
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:17 AM   #15
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Yeah...I do have to get back to SE Asia. My source of freebie passes from LAX to Taipei (getting me halfway there) seems to have dried up. I'll just have to be like everyone else in watch for great internet sales...

Thanks for the tips, mon cher!

worldwidemike