Cheap Japan budget travel advice? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Asia

Asia Truly...a different world. Kazakhstan, Japan, and everything in between. Mekong River, Central Asia deserts, sticky rice, ancient traditions, temples, tuk-tuk...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-02-2009, 06:08 AM   #1
JIMBO

Default Cheap Japan budget travel advice?

I'd like to go to Japan but I realise everything is very expensive

I am not into sharing rooms with other folk in hostels as had a few bad experiences before and realise I liek to sleep in my own....though on the other hand I met some sound folk to travel and party with last time so...and some weirdos and boring folk haha....I like the hostel in one respect BUT i really need to sleep alone?

A few things:

Which citites to visist?

Toyko, Osaka, Kyoto......these 3 best or missing out on any?

How many days needed in each city?

Within country travel:

Buy a Japan rail pass or something?

Accomodation:

Cheapest accomodation but safety and comfort also?

Travel buddies:

Guess would be cool to find some travel buddies....but from experience we gotta be into same stuff to get on...

Girls:

LOL..I'm a young decent looking dude...How can I score a fit J-gal or 2..gotta be done....I don't plan on going out clubbing/drinking a lot if on my own...(well I say that now lol...but I hear its expensive there)

Sites:

Any recommended things to see do not on major tourist attractions?

I am very big into electronics and neon lights and video games lol...so I think Topkyo will have lots to see BUT I also inot ancient Japan stuff..temples, samurai, lakes? kinda stuff....

I dont plan a huge stay in Japan...enough days in each city too experience them and enjoy it whilst not spending excessive money then I'll head to Thailand to bum about real cheap and party for a while

PS- Any recommendations on cheap flight to Bangkok from Tokyo?

CHEERS
JIMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:20 AM   #2
JIMBO

Also, if having been to Tokyo and Bangkok is there any reason to bother checking out Hong Kong?

If so, Tokyo-Hong Kong-Bangkok? Best route?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:07 AM   #3
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBO View Post
Girls:

LOL..I'm a young decent looking dude...How can I score a fit J-gal or 2..gotta be done....I don't plan on going out clubbing/drinking a lot if on my own...(well I say that now lol...but I hear its expensive there)
LOL your best best in Tokyo might be Roppungi, and district that cater to foreigners. I hear the girls who hit those places up are more likely to go for foreign dudes.

Or you could just hang out in Shinjuku or Shibuya districts and just strike up random conversations with randoms. This is probably more fun than going to clubs anyways, although you're going to need your share of balls for this.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
millmuff
TPunk Recognized

I spent a month there last year bumming around. Flew into Osaka and then out of Tokyo, but I stopped in several cities south all the way down into the south island.

If you don't have a ton of time and your trying to keep thing's cheap then the rail pass might be a little bit much. It's fairly expensive and the only way you can make it worth it is if you actually cover some serious distance. I had to work a little to get my worth out of it but it was completely worth it. Otherwise your just have to bust out a few bucks for single tickets.

Everyone is different, but if your looking for a good time I preferred Kyoto and Tokyo. They have a ton of flare and theirs a lot to do. It's a little out of season I think but usually hitting up a J-League baseball game is a great way to start a night out. Japan is one of my favorite places and some of the smaller cities still have a lot to see and do, just without all the bright lights.

I know you mentioned you aren't the biggest fan of hostels but I found they're a little better in Japan than most places. You get a lot less know it all kids traveling on their parents dollar (europe), so it's a really good way to find a good group of people to hit the town with. If your still not into the idea some areas have business hotels that cater towards male business men and provide pretty cheap basic accom. Oh and don't forget to stay in a capsule hotel for a night or two.

Any question let me know.

Cheers
Where I've been: Canada, United States, Mexico, Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Phillipines, Japan, China, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, England.
millmuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
JIMBO

Thanks so

Would you say that kyoto, osaka and Tokyo would cover it all...If I dotn want to do to much travelling

Or is Osaka not much worth seeing?

And how many days would you recommend in each city?

I know theres nice places all over Japan and far north and mountains etc...however I have a limited budget and just gotta get a sample of it lol
Old 05-23-2015, 04:41 AM   #6
chasing a dream

Send a message via Yahoo to chasing a dream
Default doesn't have to be expensive...

-Japan does have a reputation for being expensive, but if you do a little homework before going, Japan can be quite affordable.
As an example: A little less than 2 years ago I spent 8 days in Tokyo (just Tokyo) for $2150, total cost including airfare from USA. In a month and a half from now, I'm going back for a 21 day trip. I thought I did good on the budget for the first trip, but I've found better ways to save money. This second trip will cost only a little more than the first one because I did more homework this time, even though this trip will be nearly 3 times longer than the first trip.
-This trip will cover Tokyo, Osaka & Kyoto. Biggest ways I'm saving money are air fair (1st trip plane ticket cost $1346, this trip plane ticket cost $874, pretty cheap for a flight during high season) & hostel / hotel (first trip I stayed at the Anne hostel in Asakusabashi area for $50 / night, this trip I'm staying in a capsule hotel in Tokyo for $18 / night). I can't tell you much about Japanese hostels since I've only stayed in one, but I had a good experience there & would recommend Anne hostel.
-As far as your question about the girls goes... Getting a girl in Japan, good luck with that. You are a Gaijin (an outsider, or a foreigner), & gaijin are going to have a hard time picking up a girl in Japan. You might find one who is curious about foreigners... Might have better luck getting a girl who is a tourist, like yourself. Canadian Bacon had good ideas for you.... Also, if you are desperate, $$$$ buy a good time. Japan has a totally different idea of what prostitution is. Legal "good times" are readily available....
-We seem to have the same 3 cities picked out, so I can't fault you there, good choices in my opinion.
-Getting from city to city by train is good, and fast. Japan rail pass is affordable & cheaper than buying individual tickets. Drawback is the limited about of time to use the Japan rail pass. Cheapest pass is only good for 7 days. Longer duration pass will not save you any money if you are only going to these 3 cities. To use a 7 days pass you will need to go to all 3 cities within a 7 day period. I.E., Leave Tokyo & go to both Osaka & Kyoto, all within the same week. Remember that in Tokyo, the Narita airport (most commonly used airport for international flights) is more than a hour away by train & the train ticket from Tokyo to Narita airport is $30, each way. Hanada international airport is closer, but less popular & harder to get a cheap plane ticket. I highly recommend Narita. When you figure the cost of train tickets from Narita airport to Tokyo, Tokyo to Kyoto, Kyoto to Osaka, Osaka to Narita airport, this adds up to more than the cost of the rail pass. Use a rail pass, that's how I'm doing it.
-Tip: the 7 days starts when you activate the pass. So don't activate it until you are ready to go on the train.
-Tip 2: Japan rail pass **can not** be purchased in Japan. You will have to buy it before your trip.
-As far as your question on how many days in each city?? Tokyo is huge & has a lot to offer. The more time you can spend there, the better. On my fist trip, 8 days was enough time to have a lot of fun & see quite a lot, but I wanted more. For this next trip, I'm spending 2 weeks in Tokyo, and splitting up my 3rd week between Osaka & Kyoto.
-You asked about travel buddies: That's one of the perks with staying at a hostel, making friends (& travel buddies). Find someone else to hang with. A perfect example is the guys I went to the Sumo Championships with. Meet them in the hostel the morning of the championships, ended up having a fantastic time, one of the most memorable experiences from the whole trip!!! If not for them, I would not have even known about the championships going on that day! Keep in mind that just about everyone in a hostel already has a couple things in common - the love of traveling, and they will all want to go out and see the city...