Travel Planning Panic Attacks - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
NitemareHippieGirl
TPunk Recognized

Default Travel Planning Panic Attacks

Do you all get these? I've finally got a little nest egg with which to purchase my post-college plane tickets and am planning my money saving strategies for a fall journey. Now that I'm thinking of the real-ness of this trip I've started having mini panic attacks. Ack! From excitment and nerves and fear of everything falling through and fear of everything working out!

Travel is such an emotional roller-coaster.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
pinknic38
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitemareHippieGirl View Post
Travel is such an emotional roller-coaster.
It is, but that's what makes it fun, exciting, and worthwhile (and almost therapeutic at times!) - you stress yourself out about the minor details of a trip but once you hop on that plane, you're in the hands of fate, the travel powers that be, whatever, and you just have yourself a good time!

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
double.exposed

Wow, it's really interesting that you posted this because that's kind of what I'm going through with my trip next month.. it'll be the first time on my own, and it's still kind of up in the air because I haven't even told my mom that I've bought the ticket. I'm really bad about this kind of thing.. but. Despite feeling upset and grumbly about how I'm going to work all of this out, I'm also excited and looking forward to it over anything else. It will definitely be a sink or swim situation, though! I think I can handle it, and I'm sure that you'll do great, too - it's just the nerves that can sometimes make everything seem ridiculously daunting.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:03 AM   #4
NitemareHippieGirl
TPunk Recognized

It's the doubting that gets to me. The little nagging voice in my head trying to talk me out of it. But, once i'm on the plane headed overseas it all goes away. I live for that feeling of self-reliance when I'm away from home. But while I'm here rational thought tries to overtake me, eek! I'm just waiting on this grad money to go through so I can purchase the ticket. Once the ticket is purchased there's no turning back!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 01:58 AM   #5
TommyLee

Im flying out on 01/06/2009 and im starting to get really nervous, coz people keep telling me things that happen to people n horrible stuff! but then i just join a forum like this and see all the great things that happen and how people love every minute of this. Everything will be fine

My first proper trip! 01/06/09

Thailand > AUS > NS > Singapore > Malaysia > HOME!
TommyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:32 AM   #6
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

What separates the Traveler from the person who dreams about going overseas is that the Traveler does not let these worries stop him. Others listen to their voices of doubt, their handy little excuses why they should "postpone" their trip. The Traveler merely prepares all the more and remembers that, no matter how far off the beaten trail it may appear to normal folks that they are going, they are trodding a well traveled path that others wanderers like them have taken before. This is not a bad thing, but a good thing: It gives the Traveler confidence..."I can do this."

Honestly, with just about every trip I've taken, some sort of reason or doubt or mini-excuse comes up. The trick is to NOT take that excuse, to persevere. Be bold. Do you want to be that person who goes to Myrtle Beach every year for vacation, or do you want to be the person who goes to Asia, explores Europe, hikes through South America, sees Africa, and so on? Which type of person do you want to be?

If you are a member of this forum, it probably means you are the Traveler. Don't listen to the doubts!!! Fight off the panic attacks! You are a stronger person and can overcome them...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
pinknic38
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwidemike View Post
Be bold. Do you want to be that person who goes to Myrtle Beach every year for vacation, or do you want to be the person who goes to Asia, explores Europe, hikes through South America, sees Africa, and so on?
SO TRUE. amen!

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
offhegoes03
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to offhegoes03

Couldn't have worded it better than Mike. Even when you first land, you might wonder what the hell you're doing putting yourself in such a difficult position, but then once you get going, you realize it's really not that hard and the fun is totally worth stepping out of your comfort zone. You can do it!

Barcelona and Beyond, My 2008 European Blog:
http://www.travelpunk.com/blogs/offhegoes03
offhegoes03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:03 AM   #9
TommyLee

wow thanks for that worldwidemike u have made me feel loads better reading that roll on the 1st of june!

My first proper trip! 01/06/09

Thailand > AUS > NS > Singapore > Malaysia > HOME!
TommyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:48 AM   #10
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinknic38 View Post
but once you hop on that plane, you're in the hands of fate, the travel powers that be, whatever, and you just have yourself a good time!
Nicole drops some hardcore widsom yet again. I would just add that panic attacks is the antithesis of backpacking... which tries to get as close to zen as possible
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:50 AM   #11
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwidemike View Post
What separates the Traveler from the person who dreams about going overseas is that the Traveler does not let these worries stop him. Others listen to their voices of doubt, their handy little excuses why they should "postpone" their trip. The Traveler merely prepares all the more and remembers that, no matter how far off the beaten trail it may appear to normal folks that they are going, they are trodding a well traveled path that others wanderers like them have taken before. This is not a bad thing, but a good thing: It gives the Traveler confidence..."I can do this."
I think someone should scour the boards collecting memorable quotes and publish a book (an idea godfather??). One quote per page, BOOM, instant best seller. Of course, WWMike would have his own section
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #12
double.exposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon View Post
I think someone should scour the boards collecting memorable quotes and publish a book (an idea godfather??). One quote per page, BOOM, instant best seller. Of course, WWMike would have his own section
That's really not a bad idea, I've been toying with the idea of going through and taking down all the quotes that help me, personally, so that when I'm not able to get to a computer to commune with the lovely TPunks, I'd at least feel a little heartened by their sage wisdom. :P
Old 05-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
NitemareHippieGirl
TPunk Recognized

I love the book idea! If it weren't for this message board I don't know where I would get the crazy irrational advice to ditch responsibility and stability for a time and leap full force into the unknown.

I don't know what it is, but I feel more connected and aware of my identity as a person, as an American, and as a world citizen when I'm completely out of my element. I live for it!!!! Here at home people seem to think I'm a bit of a klutz and an awkward ball of anxiety, but it's not me at all. I don't really feel like myself until I'm on my own; and when get back home I feel completely reset until routine and normality take over and I have to begin planning a new trip! Thank god for travel.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #14
The Monsignor
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitemareHippieGirl View Post
I love the book idea! If it weren't for this message board I don't know where I would get the crazy irrational advice to ditch responsibility and stability for a time and leap full force into the unknown.

I don't know what it is, but I feel more connected and aware of my identity as a person, as an American, and as a world citizen when I'm completely out of my element. I live for it!!!! Here at home people seem to think I'm a bit of a klutz and an awkward ball of anxiety, but it's not me at all. I don't really feel like myself until I'm on my own; and when get back home I feel completely reset until routine and normality take over and I have to begin planning a new trip! Thank god for travel.

Hear here!

I myself have the same issues, which is ironic, since I disarm bombs for a living, you'd think that the simple activity of taking a trip wouldn't worry me.

In the end, though - I love new experiences the same time I dread the unfamiliar. I usually stop worrying too much as soon as I've committed and everything goes great from there....

(Speaking of which - Romania, here I come June 8)

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:31 AM   #15
expatben
lover of Germany

Its only natural to be nervous, I know I still get nervous before I travel-even if its somewhere I have been to before. But I swear it is totally and utterly worth it.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #16
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monsignor View Post
(Speaking of which - Romania, here I come June 8)
What, Will, did you scour my list of countries to find one of the ones I haven't been to in Europe...?! Seriously, my friend, have a great time. I hope you find Romania as awesome as Esther did, years back...!

worldwidemike
Old 05-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #17
The Monsignor
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

Actually, I was just thinking about chilling on the beaches of the Black Sea and staring at the Russian gangsters' girlfriends... then the thought occurred to me that I might squeeze a little sightseeing in the Carpathians in, if I found time...

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:24 AM   #18
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Ha, ha! Well, I guess for a guy who defuses bombs for a living, oggling gangsters' girlfriends is small stuff...!

Say Hi to Vlad the Implaler for me...

worldwidemike
Old 05-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #19
Diorama
TPunk Emeritus

I dont get nervous travelling anymore, but I do get extremely freakin stressed out everytime I have to pack up my life again and put it in storage!! October is just around the corner and time to do that yet again....
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:36 AM   #20
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorama View Post
I do get extremely freakin stressed out everytime I have to pack up my life again and put it in storage!! October is just around the corner and time to do that yet again....
Poor Jilly! Living the travel dream...! I just think it's amazing how quickly you can save up money each time. What, do you have another side job that we don't know about? Work evenings on the corner...? Just kidding! Where to this time, my friend?

worldwidemike