Need Some Life Advice.. - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
rockababes

Send a message via AIM to rockababes Send a message via Yahoo to rockababes
Smile Need Some Life Advice..

I am working in a company with lots of benefits and a good salary . However it came to the point that I got burned out with my job that I don't really like. To add to that, I don’t really like the people I’m working with. I guess I was just staying for the sake of money, I work in night shift and
I missed a lot of travel opportunities/friends because of my stressful corporate work. I really want to be in IT because that is really my field but there were no more opportunities inside or outside the company. If there would be any, I would have to start all over again as an entry level with very minimal salary. I guess I am torn between pursuing the job that I want and keeping up with the finances. So I don’t really know what’s going to happen next. I felt like I’m stuck in a constant pattern and got so bored!

Then I realized that I want to travel and be everywhere. I need to do something to change my life, I want to be in a far away place, meet new people, and also be able to move on from a failing relationship….

Travel stories of backpackers I’ve read online inspired me a lot; I’ve always thought that I still have to wait ‘till I get rich before I can travel. When I share my plan to my friends, most of them discouraged me. They told me not to leave because I don’t have any friends abroad.

Some advised me to follow what I really wanted to do. I’m having a hard time making a decision right now and I don’t know who to listen to. I guess I need some advice from the experts…
Old 02-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Take off and go traveling. You won't be happy if you don't try it. Some people do it once and "get it out of their system." Others, like many here, have the travel bug for the rest of their life. The bug isn't an affliction, though, it doesn't make your life worse. It makes it much, much richer....!

Follow your heart on this one, not your head...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:10 PM   #3
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Like mike said, for some of us it is a lifelong itch. It doesn't make our lives bad in anyway. Just more interesting and often misunderstood.

Life is an adventure and we only have one! Take it by the horns!
Old 02-17-2009, 01:02 AM   #4
travelpunk
Admin

Like they've all said....go. Just go.

When you come back, you'll have a richer soul and you'll come back with a new set of eyes. There's always going to be opportunities to take ownership of a cubicle, but there won't always be that time where nothing but a job is holding you back.

Also, are you sure you would have to start all over with a minimal salary? Don't project that into your future. You have developed a certain amount of skill sets throughout the years that may be exactly what other companies may be looking for and willing to pay top dollar for.

Although my contract is now up, it happened to me when I least expected it in something that I never was even formally trained for...just skills that I trained myself on, guerilla style, throughout the years.

In all of the years that this site has been up, I don't believe that I have seen one person that willingly took a backpacking trip on their own terms, come back and did not like it. Some have had bad experiences while on their trips, but I can't remember a whole trip being called a bad and regretful decision.

Good luck and let us know what you decide !
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:09 AM   #5
rockababes

@worldwidemike

Thank you so much, I appreciate your thoughts. For once I'm going to do something not only because I need to, it but because It will make me happy. I'm adventurous, nonconformist and a free thinker, I don't want to get stuck in this constant pattern anymore. It came to the point that I felt so bored and that nothing's really changing no matter what I do.

@TheJake

Often misunderstood, yeah I guess one of my weaknesses is that I'm having a hard time deciding for myself. And when I told my friends that I'm going to quit my job and travel, perhaps find some work as well to survive, I always get discouraging words. They have this mindset that they have to wait 'till they get rich or have loads of money before they can travel, or that they should have families and friends abroad. I appreciate that I could get to hear some encouraging words from guys who are open-minded.

@travelpunk

Thanks, I gave up IT. I could have started in this field long ago after I graduated college. Now I felt that there were a lot of people nowadays who have already graduated and have work experiences in this field, which most companies are looking for. Now I'm looking forward to travelling/backpacking alone for a change.

I'm not really afraid to take risks, I'm still a young woman with a strong personality. I guess I would'nt expect everything to be bigtime right there and then. It will always be 50-50 chances and I don't want to regret in the end because I did'nt even try. I guess I'm up for the adventure now.

Thanks to all!
Old 02-17-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
mish99
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to mish99

I agree with the guys! Go for it! Who was it that said at the end of your life you regret the things you didnt do, not the ones you did?? Cant remember, but its cool.

One thing I've learned in my wonderufl 18 years of living is that even though certain bits of advice can be great, most of it can be rotten. I know alot of my friends said I shouldnt go travelling, but I pin it down to the fact that they wanted to go, and never did. I also realized they werent thinking about the best for me. But the people im close to (my mom, dad, best friend etc..) all thought what would be best for me and agreed I should go.

Another thing I realised is that we all need to stop thinking about what other people are thinking, putting our lives on what people say. Ask yourself what you want to do, and do it. Follow your heart.

Wow, im a real Dr Phil here!! Haha. Otherwise I say go for it! Travelling and the job. We live once, why be stuck in a job that you hate?

Currently Working in England

After:Jan 5 - South Africa. Sometime 2012 - Canada!
mish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
The Monsignor
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

The fact remains that the best purchases in life turn out to be the ones you experience, not the ones you own.

Stuff, though great, is really not nearly as satisfying (actually scientifically proven) as money spent having experiences. Stuff (as I've come to discover in my life) has it's own way of demanding things from you - your time, your attention and your resources. You have to have a place to keep your stuff (your home), the time to maintain your stuff (even hobbies require time from you - why buy a motorcycle, for example, if you don't ride it...) and stuff tends to tie you down, preventing you from taking chances and taking advantages of opportunities when they arise (If you can fit your life in a suitcase and go, you're far more apt to pick up and go!)

Relationships, children, careers - they all come in due course, so don't stress it too much - enjoy the freedom now, do some planning for your future, put money away for the long term, but enjoy the rest while you can!!

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
maracle
Rabidly Xenophilic

I can say that you're not the only one who has given up a good job to travel. Lots of people on these boards have done it, I'm going to do it next year, and I would highly recommend you check out "A Map For Saturday" (A MAP FOR SATURDAY) to see a pretty good documentary on exactly what this experience is like.

Also, I think you'll be surprised at how valuable you'll be with even a couple years of experience when you go to find a new job. When I was looking earlier this year, with 4 years of experience out of college, I couldn't believe all the crazy shit people wanted to hire me to do in the tech field...Lots of places realize finding someone who has the exact skills they're looking for is unusual, if you've done anything interesting and seem like a good personality fit they know you'll learn soon enough!

So I say do what you want to do and you won't have any regrets.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #9
rockababes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish99 View Post
Another thing I realised is that we all need to stop thinking about what other people are thinking, putting our lives on what people say. Ask yourself what you want to do, and do it. Follow your heart.
@mish99 - Thanks I love this.

@The Monsignor - Right I'm still young and single, you're right I'll enjoy the freedom I have. I'm using my work now to save up some money for the travel, and I'm definitely looking forward to it this June!

@maracle - I'l check the link. Thanks.

I am so enlightened, I'm glad to hear these words from you. You guys really helped me a lot. I really really appreciate it, I'll definitely save this thread so I could look back in to it someday.

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Your question reminds me of a similar question I had in the 'Career or Travel?' thread: http://www.travelpunk.com/boards/gen...er-travel.html

My conclusion... go out and have fun as much as you can while maintaining a somewhat stable economic base.... and that is a personal balance. Personally I value career a little too much to do endless wandering... although I will wander her and there if I have a goal in mind. =)
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:51 PM   #11
Dig
TPunk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon View Post
My conclusion... go out and have fun as much as you can while maintaining a somewhat stable economic base.... and that is a personal balance. Personally I value career a little too much to do endless wandering... although I will wander her and there if I have a goal in mind. =)
I feel that we have almost the same travel outlook.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:59 AM   #12
blinkchick2134
TPunk Emeritus

I decided to give up the corporate world three years ago. I had a decent paying job, an apartment, cat and all that jazz. I saved money for a year and then took off. Two years later I have no regrets on my decision! I've seen so many places, met so many beautiful people and changed my personal views on everything many times.

I'm a stronger person than I ever thought I could be

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote