Travelpunk Noob Seeks Guidance! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Introductions and Announcements
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Introductions and Announcements Intro: First time here? "Say hello to my little friend..." Announcements: B-Days, special thanks, congrats, ..."You betta recognize!"

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-10-2009, 03:34 AM   #1
Ryza
Members

Send a message via MSN to Ryza Send a message via Skype™ to Ryza
Default Travelpunk Noob Seeks Guidance!

Gday to all the TravelPunk Forumers...

My name is Ryan and i'm a 25yo from Perth, Australia. I currently live in Antibes (France) and looking to embark on a life changing adventure. Basically I want to travel from London to Miami by backpacking my way first across Europe to Istanbul, then the modified Hippie Trail to Kathmandu, through SE Asia up to China, across to Hawaii, then onto LA and finally overland across the USA via Route 66 (with significant detours) I want to start this adventure in June if my preparations are sufficient.

The European and American legs of the journey will be no problem for me as i have spent a lot of time there and have sufficient documentation to be in those places. However the Hippie trail and SE Asia being the more difficult areas make me want to ensure I plan effectively and allow sufficient time.

Ok guys, so now to my questions:

Does anyone have a visa agency they can reccommend? I need visas for Iran, Pakistan, India, Nepal, Cambodia, Phillipines, Vietnam and China... I guess the next logical question is to ask how long one with only an Australian Passport (and residing outside his own country of residence) might expect to wait for so many visas.

The next question is regarding the Hippie Trail leg of the journey. Has anyone done it in the last few years post 9/11 and travelled safely? Also reccomendations on independent vs tour group would be greatly appreciated. I am well travelled, however I have not spent a lot of those travels as a backpacker. I came to the conclusion that first time through Central Asia might best be travelled with a tour group?

Another question I have is with regards to vaccinations. I know that I need Hep A and B, Polio, Yellow Fever, Typhoid, Jap Encephalitis, MMR and Rabies... I would like to know how long I should allow in London for these vaccinations, and whether they can all be done together?

Im sure I will have more questions for the wiser well travelled people of the forum, but getting info on visas and vaccinations is my immediate challenge in the planning of this trip and ensuring the adventure gets off to a good start!

Many kind regards in advance!

Confucius
Ryza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
space virgin
Yoda

You'll have the most trouble with visas for Iran, Pakistan and China. Honestly I would recommend locating the closest consulates and just go there to fill out the paperwork. Nepal and I think Cambodia (and possibly Vietnam and Philippines) are visa-on-arrival so you won't have to deal with that in advance.

I don't know about the policy of other countries but I can tell you that your visa for India is good for 6 months from the date of issue, not from date of arrival in India. In other words don't get it too far in advance!

Also you could look into getting visas successively while your trip is underway if that will save some time.

Welcome and have a great trip!
Old 02-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Hey Ryan - welcome to the boards bud!!!!

Wow round the world adventure - sounds awesome. Why is it every other Aussie i've ever met goes around the whole world?

Anyway, as your modified hippie trail, search up the Middle East threads, I think some tpunks (like AJB3000) have done the central asia/iran thing. You can read his reports here: http://www.travelpunk.com/boards/mid...d-reports.html

You going straight from Turkey to Iran? You might as well drop in on Syria, the safest Middle Eastern country, and see the streets they wrote about in the Bible.

From what I hear, Iran is pretty safe, but just steer clear of Afghanistan. Pakistan, I also hear, is safe for the most part if you stay out of the tribal territories. Of course, you're more at risk of getting hit by cars then terrorist events.

Let us know more about your plans!
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

This is ABJ's other thread... an awesome read even if you're not travelling to these regions.

http://www.travelpunk.com/boards/dep...ist-trail.html
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote