NYE plans? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 12-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
lauren313
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Default NYE plans?

Title says it all really! Is anyone doing anything fun for new years?

Most years I do nothing, because I can't cope with the pressure of it all. However, this year it's going to be me and my boy, plus two of my friends and their boyfriends, we're going to play board games, go for a curry, then go to a house party! I'm rather excited.

Hope you all have fun, whatever you do.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
pinknic38
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

My friend Jamie and her husband are having a little dinner party for a small group of us, and then we're doing the board games thing ans just being low key. I'm pretty excited.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
augentier

Hopefully getting laid
Old 12-29-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
mish99
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to mish99

Im working So you tpunks are gonna have to have an extra drink for me!!

Currently Working in England

After:Jan 5 - South Africa. Sometime 2012 - Canada!
mish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
SGRHewitt

Send a message via AIM to SGRHewitt Send a message via MSN to SGRHewitt Send a message via Skype™ to SGRHewitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by augentier View Post
Hopefully getting laid
+1

July 23 - Sept 13: Back in Europe! Off to Brest, France for a French language course. Schedule is open before August 7 and after August 28, suggestions?
SGRHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
ScarlotteDorian
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

hangin' with the P's. i knew i should have booked my flight home one day early!

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
aliz
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

I don't feel like going out or anything... my boyfriend works at a bottle shop so on NYE he gets home around 11, exhausted because it's so crazy busy in the shop... so we'll just celebrate at home, he can bring some beers from work. I'm trying to think of something else though to make it fun. our balcony doesn't face the city so I don't think we'll be able to see the fireworks, unless they have more in botany bay or something... hmmm what to do...
Old 12-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #8
jengt
Hiked the Inca Trail

I'm fixing dinner for Mike & I (if he ever tells me what he wants for dinner) and then we're going to catch one of our favorite Celtic bands The Prodigals' live show in the "Arena District" downtown.

This is the first year since we've been dating that Mike has the 1st off so we can actually stay out until midnight - or later.

Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer (an ad in the Smithsonian)

Travel is the enemy of bigotry.
jengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #9
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

Hmmm I think mike wants pot roast, mashed potatoes, yorkshire pudding & red cabbage for New years....sent to NY....where I'll be this year

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:58 PM   #10
AKguacamole
Guac it up!

yes! We're having a full on dress-up party at our place. Kinda like halloween, but with more of a celebratory feel. I'm going as cruella deville, because I have a fur coat from halloween I think would be very appropriate for this holiday
Old 12-29-2008, 07:21 PM   #11
pinknic38
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKguacamole View Post
I'm going as cruella deville, because I have a fur coat from halloween I think would be very appropriate for this holiday
dude that's fucking awesome. 101 Dalmations was my favorite movie as a kid and while this is sick and twisted, I thought Cruella was so glamorous... haha

tpunk gallery * twitter
Old 12-29-2008, 07:24 PM   #12
jengt
Hiked the Inca Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_angelic View Post
Hmmm I think mike wants pot roast, mashed potatoes, yorkshire pudding & red cabbage for New years....sent to NY....where I'll be this year
He had pot roast & potatoes for Christmas...and I guarantee he DOESN'T want red cabbage. I've never had yorkshire pudding & would have no idea how to make it. Sorry. Looks like it's going to be simple calzones for New Years Eve dinner here.

Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer (an ad in the Smithsonian)

Travel is the enemy of bigotry.
jengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:49 AM   #13
TERI
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to TERI

I'll be in NYC with simply angelic!!! it's gonna be a gong show!!!! can't wait!!!

urple\'> "Wanna feel the warm breeze, sleep under a palm tree, feel the rush of the ocean."
"...Get aboard a fast train, travel on a damn plane."
" Take a Risk, Take a chance, Make a change!"--- Break away. Kelly Clarkson (lol)
TERI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:02 AM   #14
mbo108
TPunk. Recognize.

^ What did you guys end on deciding to for NYE in NYC?

Still not sure what I'm doing, probably heading up to my brothers-in-laws for some beer and Wii Rock Band.
mbo108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:37 AM   #15
offhegoes03
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to offhegoes03

My cousin's band is playing a house party down in Athens, GA. It's gonna be an awesome time.

Barcelona and Beyond, My 2008 European Blog:
http://www.travelpunk.com/blogs/offhegoes03
offhegoes03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:45 AM   #16
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbo108 View Post
^ What did you guys end on deciding to for NYE in NYC?
homeless the first night (ie. NYE), and couch surfing the rest....

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
Old 12-30-2008, 08:47 AM   #17
mbo108
TPunk. Recognize.

Did you pick any bars or clubs to try to get too? Wait - you're not 21 are you? Yikes...
Old 12-30-2008, 09:33 AM   #18
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

I am! I just had my birthday thankyouverymuch, lol. As for NY's itself we're doing the times square thing, which I hear is difficult to leave once you're in. Any recommendations for bars?

-James Dean

Old 12-30-2008, 10:17 AM   #19
pinknic38
TPunk Moderator

I've been to some fun fun bars on the Upper East Side: Dorian's and Mad River.... Mad River is kind of a hole in the wall place, off of Lexington and like 86th or something.... You guys are probably looking to stay downtown and to go bars there... I'm sure you won't have any problem finding something fun. My college roommate lives in NYC with one of our other friends, I will try to get a hold of them today and see where some good bars are downtown.

tpunk gallery * twitter
Old 12-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #20
mbo108
TPunk. Recognize.

Yeah, times square is pretty nuts. We *kinda* did it one year. We had tickets to a bar/party on 46th and Columbus. Once it was 11:45 they let us out of the bar to wander closer to Times Square. The people that stand in those crowds you see on TV, they're there for like 6 hours or so. Once you get packed in there, its just about impossible to get out. I hope you have a big bladder. ;-) But you usually can't just wander from bar to bar, at least in that area.

Even the bars in that area might require a ticket to get into (that will come with open bar from like 10 - 1 plus a food buffet usually). Most places will still have tickets for sale on NYE but they could run over $100.

Here is one bar we go to sometimes when we're in town. Its a block from times square. https://social-bar.ticketleap.com/bu...34-99CBC25377D Not the biggest place but it has a few floors and can be fun.

We also head up the Upper West Side to some bars (Gin Mill usually). Lower East Side has a bar just about every block but again you'll need a ticket.

Here are some more links: https://new-years-eve.ticketleap.com...ve-in-new-york

I didn't realize that birthday you just celebrated was your 21st. How long you going to be in city?