Is this trip totally impractical? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Where Do I Go?
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Where Do I Go? Mind Melting? Brain Banging? Can't decide where in the world you wanna go? This forum is for you...
The T-Punk crew will send you in the right direction!!!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 12-11-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
augentier

Question Is this trip totally impractical?

So I've decided on the countries that I REALLY want to see for my month-long trip to Europe this summer.

I know I said I wanted to party along the Mediterranean coast but man, I have always wanted to see Germany and I really want to stay a few days in Prague. Also it's cheapest for me to fly into Berlin than most other places..so Germany & Prague it is. BUT - I also really want to go to Spain, along the coast, go to Ibiza maybe, but I just want to go to Spain for sure.

So the problem is I have to travel through France which I don't really care about..it doesn't interest me all that much (unless someone can convince me to spend some time there) so I was going to go along the coast of France on my way to Spain. But how long would that train ride be?? Would it cut down significantly on my time to spend in Spain? I want to spend at least 3 nights in each city and I want to visit at least a couple cities in Germany and Spain, (and don't forget Prague).

What do you think? Land in Berlin and leave from Barcelona or something?
augentier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Or you could land in Spain, get your partying out of your system, and THEN do the cultural stuff.

Although I think you got it all wrong... tons of cultural stuff in Spain, and tons of partying in Germany and Prague. But yeah... Ibiza is just Ibiza.

I find its best to get the hardcore partying of your system early into the trip when you're jacked, rather than toward the end when you're almost burnt out.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
augentier

Oh, I plan on partying wherever I go. Not just in Spain..I heard Berlin has great nightlife and I heard Prague ain't bad.. What I am concerned about is the quickest/most efficient way to travel between Germany and Spain.
augentier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
mbo108
TPunk. Recognize.

Look for a cheap flight (SkyEurope/Ryanair/Easyjet/etc)...check www.skyscanner.net for flights
mbo108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
Esterina
french touch

I second mbo's suggestion. Travelling by train from Germany or Czech will take forever.

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:09 PM   #6
skankthenightaway
T-PUNK RANGER

i´ve always found it´s much cheaper to fly into london and then get a cheap flight from ryanair, easyjet etc. the cheap airlines are probably the best way to go long distances but the only thing you need to watch out for is where the cheapo airports are. sometimes they are in the middle of nowhere and it´s gonna cost you 20euros to get to the airport in the first place!

Where I've Been: Belgium, Belize, El Salvador, England, Germany, Guatemala, Honduras, Italy, Mexico, Netherlands, Scotland, USA

Where I'm Going: currently in Central America!
skankthenightaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:56 PM   #7
Somnambulation
TPunk Emeritus

By the time you fly into London and take the bus out to Stanstead, buying food probably spending at least one night in London alng the way, it probably is cheapr just to fly right into Germany. I would do that if you have no interest in London. I took and overnight train from Bern Switzerland to Barcelona once that worked out really well. It wouldnt really be all that much of a time waste for you, just one night, and then you wake up ready to tackle Barcelona. If I remember correctly it cost about 70 Euros to go from INterlaken to Bern and then overnight train (with bunk) to Barcelona
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:27 AM   #8
MeTurk
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

There's no point in stopping along the French coast, it's reserved for the rich and famous and extremely expensive.

Spain is great but you just have to be careful along the east coast the further south you go the older the population gets. My mother lives in a town called Calpe it's about 3 hours south of Valencia and it's like a retirement village where all of Europe goes to die.

That is good news for you in a way as all the good cities in Spain are in the north so you can get to them allot quicker.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:38 AM   #9
expatben
lover of Germany

I mean, theres nothing to say that you cannot get a train from Germany and just sleep your way through France-trouble is it takes ages. I personally would reccomend getting flight from Germany to Spain.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:38 AM   #10
offhegoes03
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to offhegoes03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnambulation View Post
By the time you fly into London and take the bus out to Stanstead, buying food probably spending at least one night in London alng the way, it probably is cheapr just to fly right into Germany. I would do that if you have no interest in London. I took and overnight train from Bern Switzerland to Barcelona once that worked out really well. It wouldnt really be all that much of a time waste for you, just one night, and then you wake up ready to tackle Barcelona. If I remember correctly it cost about 70 Euros to go from INterlaken to Bern and then overnight train (with bunk) to Barcelona
I took this same exact train. I personally cannot stand sleeper trains. You're either in a cauchette with 3-5 other people who you don't know and everyone's body heat contributes to a sauna-like effect in you room or you buy a reclining seat in a larger car where it was difficult (at least for me) to fall asleep at the angle the chairs reclined to. You can make up your own mind on sleeper trains, but I'd never do it again even if it saved me a day.

For the long haul from Germany to Spain, I think a budget airline would be your best bet.

Barcelona and Beyond, My 2008 European Blog:
http://www.travelpunk.com/blogs/offhegoes03
offhegoes03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #11
augentier

Hmm I'm def. going to have to figure something out here, I might have to change my plans entirely and just deal with going to one region at a later time. Thanx for the suggestions everyone
Old 12-12-2008, 04:38 PM   #12
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

ryanair has a lot of germany-spain flights, maybe check wizzair too

problem with the Germany-Spain night train like offhegoes said is that you have to shell out major bucks I bet for the "privilege" of sitting at a 110 degree (if i remember my geometry correctly) angle...very uncomfortable

i mean if it was like a russian train or something...you get the full 180 degrees to lay down...but DB thinks its all that and a bag of chips, with the prices it charges. its just a damn train after all
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:50 PM   #13
augentier

I really don't want to take another plane and deal with getting a ticket to use in europe for a plane..too much hassle. I'll just change where I'm going ..or see if I can go longer than planned, and stay in cities along the way.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:08 PM   #14
Esterina
french touch

To put together Spain and Central Europe in the same trip is always difficult. I think you are making a wise decision. And anyways, there are plenty to do around Germay : Poland + the Baltics, Poland + Czech + Hungary, Scandinavia, the Netherlands+Belgium, Switzerland + Austria, etc. :D

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:44 AM   #15
augentier

What about spending most the trip in Spain and taking a flight to the Netherlands to end my trip there? That is feasible right?
Old 12-15-2008, 05:45 PM   #16
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Totally feasible, and imo, a great idea

Vueling flies from Barcelona, Malaga, Sevilla, Granada nonstop to Amsterdam. They also fly there from most other Spanish cities of note via Barcelona.

Spain is kind of awesome.

--Joe

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote