Life changing times - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 11-03-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
micdans
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to micdans
Default Life changing times

Okay guys, I know people don't know me that well, and I haven't done much posting in the last half year; but I need some TPunk help.

I am finishing my bachelors degree this semester and I am searching for a job or something to do after I graduate. I have like $32,000 in loans so I can't just do nothing for a while. I would like to get a solid job and pay off my loans as fast as I can, so then I would be able to do something more that I would like. I studied Economics in school with a psychology minor. I do not want to sit behind a desk and do boring work, but am looking for an interesting job, where I am on the move, interacting with people with some responsibility. The question is, what is that and how do I find a job when many companies are scaling back...
I am from the Twin Cities, MN and mostly am looking for something around there. It's where family is and with all the crazy family things that have happened in the past few years, I would like to be near them. I would like to be involved in a company that creates a product that is useful to society, so I would feel passionate about working there... Also, I don't want the rest of my life to be so restricted, so I can't get out of the country for an extended period of time.
Maybe for my first 'real' job, I need to be less idealistic and accept something.
Does anyone have connection to nifty jobs that are in search of new employees? Anyone who have been in a similar situation want to lend some experience my way?

I appreciate it, friends.
micdans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:56 AM   #2
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by micdans View Post
Maybe for my first 'real' job, I need to be less idealistic and accept something.
Does anyone have connection to nifty jobs that are in search of new employees? Anyone who have been in a similar situation want to lend some experience my way?

I appreciate it, friends.
Hey Micdans, good question and something I pondered heavily a few years ago.

I think compromise is something for later in life, when you have kids who rely on your income and a more stable family life.

Youth is about going out there and taking risks. (This is why we backpack, no?)

The question is you must know what job you want, what field you want to get into. You need to be specific, and develop a plan, a strategy to achieve those specific objectives.

And I believe you can achieve them, it just takes a bit of time, persistence and patience.

I work in the Canadian Foreign Ministry now - a dream job for many Canadian polisci grads - cuz I had the balls to go out there, network, gain connections and refuse to take no for an answer. Believe me, I've been rejected many many many times before I reached where I am, but I refused to accept 'no' as the ultimate answer.

I pretty much job searched for 6 months (after doing 3 internships in university and after graduation, as well as nearly going broke) before I landed a 'real' job here. Now I make money and do interesting stuff.

I cannot stress this enough: do not be a statistic. You know, over 70% of Canadian polisci grads end up doing non-political work. I think many of these people give up too soon and get comfortable by settling into a "practical option".

You're young! You're free! Go out there and hit the pavement!!! I can suggest some great books on job searching strategies.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote