Good to be back??? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-30-2008, 11:12 AM   #1
millmuff
TPunk Recognized

Default Good to be back???

Yo! How eveyones well here in the TPunk community?

It's been a good year since I've really been back on here...or posting anyways. Last month I arrived back in Canada after nearly a year of touring on a RTW trip. As I'm sure most of you will know it was probably the best decision I've ever made.

At the time I quit the job, sold the belongings, and all that good stuff so I could live the dream of a complete bum traveling for as long as possible. Unfortunately all good things come to an end and when the bank account is about to go into the red I had to come back.

So I'm back at my old job (that they said I was throwing away and they wouldn't hold for me when I left). I am grateful for being able to slip into everything so nicely again but this time around things are just a little different. In fact after getting an education ,career job, and letting myself slip into my mid/late twenties I've realized I took a wrong path somewhere and ended up living a life I came to realize I despise people for living. You know the one.....

The problem lies in the fact that I have absolutely no money left though. After paying off 21 grand in student loans from finsihing school in 03, and saving 25 grand for my RTW I'm hardly left with a penny to my name. So even after decideding to move to Vancouver next year and head into a new career, and new schooling I'm forced to grind it out in the 9-5 routine that makes me feel numb just thinking about. As of now I'm on a set budget to get together a solid chunk of meny to help with the funding for a very expensive program at Vancouver Film School.

So I just thought I would throw somehting up hear to vent. I'm sure theres a few people out there that have gone through the same dilema, especially after coming back from a long term trip. I'm thankful that I feel I have a new direction and another new set of goals, but it's really hard being in a place that doesn't inspire you while you wait for these goals to happen.

If anyones gone through anything similar I'd love to hear about it, even if it's just how you coped with being back from a trip and having to deal with your old life again!

Late.

P.S. Thanks to everone on the boards who helped me get info for my trip....theres to many to thank. The knowledge on here is as honest and down to earth as any source I came upon.
Where I've been: Canada, United States, Mexico, Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Phillipines, Japan, China, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, England.
millmuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
Diorama
TPunk Emeritus

Whoa!..congrats to you..Payed off 21 grand in student loans AND then funded a 25 grand RTW trip. How many people can say that! Trust me coming back can be the most depressing thing ever. None of your friends or family will ever understand what your trip was alll about. You have soooo many stories to tell but they fall on deaf ears because nobody is really 'that' interested.

Anyways do what I do. I came back in April after 9 months away. I came back el broko. But I worked my ass off this summer, and I also managed to go on 7 weekend trips..Just getting out of the city helps. I know it's setting upon winter but go on a ski trip or whatever..Trust me it helps the travel itch. So I grinded it out this summer working 11 hour days and now I have accomplised my goal that I was working for..I get to go away again in December for four months of travelling! I guess what I'm trying to say is if you have a goal just grind away with it, but make sure you also have fun doing it. Take time for those lil' weekend trips and fun times with friends and before you know it, it will be time to move to Vancity and start the next chapter of your life.
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
ScarlotteDorian
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

yeah, i know the one...trying to avoid the nine to five myself.

looking for someway to escape that reality. you have to get creative i think.

hang in there AND yes, weekend trips help alot. embrace where you are while you are there. :D

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

If you were able to pay off the loans and save for your RTW, no one needs to tell you about sacrifice and self discipline. You know the routine of putting in your time for the greater goal in mind. Sounds great, though, that you've found something new to latch onto that you want to do for a career. I'm in the same stage myself, except add about a decade and a half in age! I'm about to retire from the airline job and start a new career (teaching school) in my mid-40s.

Congrats! And good to see you back on Tpunk...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
offhegoes03
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to offhegoes03

Wow, congrats with the trip and glad to hear everything went well. Unfortunately it sounds like you at least have to stick with this job for a little bit to scrounge together some cash. I can't say that I've done that much traveling. My longest trip so far was this summer and it was only a month long. I started up with grad school shortly after coming back, but I'm already feeling the itch again and I'm having trouble describing what I want to do in fellowship applications when all I want to do is travel and have fun. hah, guess I can't offer that much advice, but just try to find something you really enjoy doing. I've been participating a lot in the local couchsurfing community because I find talking about traveling at least makes not traveling a little easier to cope with.

Barcelona and Beyond, My 2008 European Blog:
http://www.travelpunk.com/blogs/offhegoes03
offhegoes03 is offline   Reply With Quote