just - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-16-2004, 07:58 PM   #1
Mysterica
Members

Send a message via MSN to Mysterica

I'm having a major travel withdrawl symtoms..I don't even know if I should post this here..but I don't know..I just feel like the only thing that i'll ever be is a wanderer...i get bored..i get ancy..the only thing that i truly enjoy doing is travelling..when I see ppl and they just got promoted...and all these things are going on in there life and and all i ever think about it my next trip and when it going to be and where and how and all the things i'm going to see and do..but deep down inside you know that you can't really afford to take another trip..and you knmow that all you ever want to do is just go someplace new where time is non excisiting..but is it possible to truly live life like that..i mean..it's almost as though...people look at you strange because they know that all u want to do is travel and just leave and it's an urge that can not be explained.......I just needed to vent..soryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Old 03-17-2004, 07:00 AM   #2
my retro career
TPunk Emeritus

It's okay to vent every now and then ain't it...

I feel for ya; may some day you will find enlightment!

I sure wish I would someday too !!
Old 03-17-2004, 09:08 AM   #3
Carisia
TPunk Recognized

Ok, the Doctor is in: can you tell me if you have the following symptoms?

- Not being able to connect with people, old and new, whose main objective in life is attachment to social structures for a sense of security?

- Spending endless number of hours at the Travelpunk site to vicariously experience travel and connect with other wandering souls?

- The only landmark grabbing you being Travel Agencies along the road...

- The only pages grabbing you off the newspaper being travel ads and news of faraway countries you've been to or desire to go to?

- The only voices you can hear being those with a slight accent and wanting to go over and hug them even if they are perfect strangers?

- Increasing amount of conversation topics being automatically associated with a travel experience you've had, making the other party wonder if you've ever stopped travelling in your lifetime?

- Floating around your town trying to experience it as an outsider, as a traveler, trying to relive your overseas travel experiences locally - a sign of desperation!

- Sitting at the dentist's chairs, eyes closed, trying to escape the excrutiatingly uncomfortable experience by loosing yourself in thoughts of travel in faraway lands? (I admit, I did this just yesterday!)

If you have experienced at least 3 of the symptoms above, you have been diagnosed with the "HELPLESS TRAVELING FREE-SPIRIT" Syndrome. The good news is, patients diagnosed with this syndrome are the only ones who can survive the madenning drugery of this world! So, embrace your illness and look forward to taking off to your next great destination!
Carisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 09:34 AM   #4
Mocassin
TPunk Emeritus

Great post carisia!!!

May I had the following symptom:

-Spending countless hour on the internet looking for flight deals, when you know you can't afford it but just dreaming about leaving makes you feel better...
Old 03-17-2004, 11:02 AM   #5
cali_girl
Members

just had a huge conversation about this phenomenon last night...

all my friends are getting maried, buying homes, settling into careers. i, on the other hand, have a problem with committment - relationship, geographical, and occupational.

but i look at my stable friends and i think "how the hell do you do it?!?" i work just long enough to afford my next trip - i don't leave until may and i've already decided where i'm going next!!

sometimes i wonder if i'm ever going to be able to settle down. or am i just going to be a wanderer for the rest of my life?

until i decide/figure it out, i'm gonna keep planning my next trip...

cg

email me at skidd22@hotmail.com
cali_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 11:08 AM   #6
MolsonGirl
Drifter in the making.

I know exactly how you feel ( think everyone on TP does ) I spent countless hours planning trips that I was never really gonna go on, and looking through loney planets at all the cool deals and stuff. Hours of internet shopping for hostels that i was never gonna stay in...but here was my solution.

I started working for a company that designs customized travel tours for sports teams (and seeing as I'm a huge JOCK) this was perfect for me...

NOt only do I get paid to research travel online and do all the day dreaming I was doing already, but the company actually sends a representative on the trip with them, so i'm going to places like Spain and France for FREE..(well apart from the work I do to organize the trip)

and granted that i don't get to do my own backpacking while I'm there (well I could tag something on at the end if I liked) but I get to see all these places I'd never go to.. meet all these sports teams from around the world. I get my days off to see all these beautiful cities...And I make my living off traveling.. basically... I couldn't ask for anything better.

I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive.
~ Jane Austen in a Letter (1811-05-31)
MolsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 11:55 AM   #7
my retro career
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by MolsonGirl@Mar 17 2004, 07:08 PM
I spent countless hours planning trips that I was never really gonna go on, and looking through loney planets at all the cool deals and stuff. Hours of internet shopping for hostels that i was never gonna stay in...
Funny - I do that *a lot* too....I feel so much better now, knowing that so many others on this TP site does have the same fascination as I.

Molsongirl, you got it made - cheers to your career !!
Old 03-17-2004, 01:10 PM   #8
Ozpacka
TPunk Recognized

Exxxcellent...

I have been diagnosed... All of a sudden all the things that made me *not normal* can be attributed to the wandering punk syndrome...

Thanks Doc...

Travelpunk - More extreme than your Mum!
Ozpacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 02:11 PM   #9
space virgin
Yoda

sorry for the hijack, but I gotta say-- leeroy, dude. Your avatar is seriously creepin' me out!!! Is that some sort of doll or what?
Old 03-17-2004, 02:15 PM   #10
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

I think I have some bad/good news for you all:

It doesn´t go away. I´m 41 and still a travel junkie. I´m 41 and just now bought my first house (actually, in the process of buying one...but where am i during this crucial process -- Andorra!). I´m 41 and could care less about working my wayup the corporate ladder. The only reason I pay attention to my retirement with 401k and roth ira and stuff is so i have money to travel when i retire.

It´s a terminal disease folks...yippeeeeeee!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 02:16 PM   #11
joanofarc
Weasel Jones

i think it's some cover art from a tool album...
Old 03-17-2004, 02:21 PM   #12
Mocassin
TPunk Emeritus

It's obviously a foetus...(Doc Moc speaking here...)

Yup...No cure for the Travel disease!
Old 03-17-2004, 06:22 PM   #13
MolsonGirl
Drifter in the making.

I sure hope there's no cure.. Who on earth would want to lose a facination with learning about different people and all the wonderful things our earth has to offer??? isn't is more of a blessing that's we're independent adventurers that want to embrace all the world has to offer instead of being the typical blue/white collar worker who joins the rat race everyday? I THINK NOT.

I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive.
~ Jane Austen in a Letter (1811-05-31)
MolsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 12:08 AM   #14
Ozpacka
TPunk Recognized

Yeah, avatar is a section from a baby in a jar, from some rammstein artwork i found on a site...

I have another avatar im working on right now, so you wont have to put up with it for much more...

I do think its kinda cool but.

Leeroy

Travelpunk - More extreme than your Mum!
Ozpacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 04:19 AM   #15
TapSiLog
Members

dr. carisia, thanks for the diagnosis!! now, i can take my medical leave!!!

all, i'm so glad to read your posts, i somehow felt "normal" again!! hehe.. i went on my first "real" trip last january and until now, i can't seem to get hold of my old self anymore.. everything is just not the same..

just the other day, my boss approached me and told me he noticed this drastic change on my work attitude and he's not liking it!! well, not really surprising!! the only thing i have been doing since i got back was to plan on my next trip.. all my officemates can't seem to understand what i'm going thru.. good thing travelpunk is here to keep my sanity!! tnx guys!

www.pbase.com/tapsilog
TapSiLog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 05:21 AM   #16
Carisia
TPunk Recognized

Hey all! The Doc is in anytime you need it! BTW, I am also a "HTFS," and living happily with it!
Old 03-19-2004, 02:29 PM   #17
Mysterica
Members

Send a message via MSN to Mysterica

As I was reading all the post I got a bit teary .....especially Dr. Carisia (you have a new role on the board haha) .It was nice to read all the post..they all made sense and all connected with how I am feeling...it's just nice to once and a while read something that you can relate to... when there are so many questions in to regards why your always travelling or wanting to....at least I know that there is a selected few of us out there..maybe we should plan to take over the world..hahah

Well all this has motivated me to make the decision to go a head and take travel and tourism in college..maybe I can one day a job in a travel agency and dream away

Thanks again guys...I'm really glad that I stumbled across this board.

~Mysterica~
"Your naked inside all your fears" goo goo dolls
Old 03-19-2004, 04:08 PM   #18
Carisia
TPunk Recognized

Hey Mysterica, go for it! You already have a loyal set of travel customers waiting for your services!