Travelling with Liquid Toiletries - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-07-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
westcoastfunky
T-PUNK RANGER

Default Travelling with Liquid Toiletries

I know that you can now take up to 10 100mL sized containers in a clear ziplock bag as carry on (or is that only in Canada>), BUT here is what I am wondering...

I have bad skin and I use this toner for it. I do not want to have to split a big container of it up into small containers as it will just take too much space. However I went to Edmonton a few weeks ago, it was my first time on an airplane in about 7 years and I put my toiletries in the bag I checked. Of course when I got to my friend's and opened my bag everything was wet...the air pressure in the cargo was different and the bottle leaked.

Are there any options aside from splitting it up into smaller containers?

And what about shampoo/conditioner? For those things do you generally just buy where you are or how do you travel with them?
westcoastfunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

check it, but put it in a ziplock bag in case it leaks. The same thing happened to me with shampoo a while back so that's what I do now...of course it hasn't leaked since.

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
SGRHewitt

Send a message via AIM to SGRHewitt Send a message via MSN to SGRHewitt Send a message via Skype™ to SGRHewitt

I always buy Shampoo and stuff when I get to my destination... Mainly because of the liquid restriction.

As for the skin lotion. Is there a possibility of getting a doctor to sign off on some, perhaps an airline would allow that.

I've never had a problem with things breaking in the luggage space, but I would just double bag it in a zip lock and try it. Put it in between some clothes that will give it some cushion. And another thing to consider is finding a comparable brand/ingredient list for countries in Europe and such. I figure they'd have something like that in other '1st world' countries.

Side note: Is it PC to even say 1st world anymore lol?

July 23 - Sept 13: Back in Europe! Off to Brest, France for a French language course. Schedule is open before August 7 and after August 28, suggestions?
SGRHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
westcoastfunky
T-PUNK RANGER

ok thanks guys, I have only had this experience once so I thought it would happen every time, good to know it is not the norm!

I will be able to buy it in some other countries I know but not all (about the 1st world thing, I dunno, you certainly can't say "western" anymore because it doesn't make sense and "developed" sounds kind of snobby lol).
Old 06-08-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

[quote=SGRHewitt;184931]
As for the skin lotion. Is there a possibility of getting a doctor to sign off on some, perhaps an airline would allow that.
quote]

Damn great idea! But TSA ( N the U.S.) would just tell you sorry. Its amazing just how strict they are. Checking in plastic is def. the best option.

It truly sucks!!! We left Belgium a few months before the liquid ban, and I was able to squeeze 4 Trapists bottles in my pack, Carried it on board and all. No such luck now! Bastards
Old 06-08-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
SGRHewitt

Send a message via AIM to SGRHewitt Send a message via MSN to SGRHewitt Send a message via Skype™ to SGRHewitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc873 View Post
It truly sucks!!! We left Belgium a few months before the liquid ban, and I was able to squeeze 4 Trapists bottles in my pack, Carried it on board and all. No such luck now! Bastards

What is a trapist?

July 23 - Sept 13: Back in Europe! Off to Brest, France for a French language course. Schedule is open before August 7 and after August 28, suggestions?
SGRHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #7
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Oops, I left a "p" out. A Trappist beer is made by monks, and the monks only produce a certain amount per year. The alcohol content can go up to 14-20%. There are so many different types, its hard to try them all. I noticed in my part of the country (USA), they've started selling a small selection of them at the high alcohol level!
Old 06-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #8
pinknic38
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

I was out shopping for travel items for my trip and I came into the same dilemma cos I wanted to bring febreeze with me but I'm not checking any luggage so I bought one of those 3oz spritz bottles and dumped febreeze in there.

side note, Target has special ziploc bags that are like TSA approved, the right size, etc. I got a little pack of like 7 ziplocs for a dollar. it's in the travel section.

I always want to take a lot of liquids too so I finally had to suck it up and get a bar of soap instead of bringing a travel sized body wash.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:45 AM   #9
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

febreeze? Oh Nic...seriously?

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #10
mbo108
TPunk. Recognize.

my wife found paper soap for our trip. Its like a bigger form of those mint strip things. You wet it and it starts to lather up right in your hands. Pretty hand and I think they offer shampoo too.
mbo108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:33 AM   #11
westcoastfunky
T-PUNK RANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbo108 View Post
my wife found paper soap for our trip. Its like a bigger form of those mint strip things. You wet it and it starts to lather up right in your hands. Pretty hand and I think they offer shampoo too.
oooh! that is really cool!
Old 06-19-2008, 08:42 AM   #12
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

I keep soap leaves in my purse all the time (five kids, public restrooms, what you gonna do?) they're great. If you had a bath sponge you could probably bathe with them, although otherwise I think yu'd use them up pretty quick. I've never heard of shampoo ones, though...

Ditto on putting liquids in ziploc bags even in your checked baggage - even though it's unlikely your stuff would leak, if it happens to, you're miserable. For the minor time and unconvenience caused, the benefits are far greater.

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote