School Abroad? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Studying, Living, Working, Volunteering Abroad, Expats
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Studying, Living, Working, Volunteering Abroad, Expats Currently or planning on studying abroad, living abroad, working abroad, and volunteering abroad. Expats talk for all of you Huck Finn's out there. You rebels with a without a cause. Summer travel is child's play to you.

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-06-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
xCelticWolfx

Default School Abroad?

I'm currently a junior in high school in the US, and after I graduate, I'd like to go to a school in Europe. Had anyone done this? How was it?

From my brief online research, it seems like the thing to do, honestly. But I'd like to hear some opinions and experiences, if possible.

If it helps anything, I'm planning on majoring in musical composition.

Also, if anyone can make sense of the grading scale, diplomas, and all that jazz in accordance with the US, it'd be amazing.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
pinknic38
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

As far as I know you can apply directly to different schools across the globe, but there should be an "international applicants" area on each school website which should answer questions. Additionally I wouldn't rule out a US university and doing a direct exchange abroad or going through a big program like USAC or International Studies Abroad (ISA) - you can google these and check out the websites - and do other internships abroad, summertimes, etc.

Every US school website will have a study abroad section and my guess is the bigger universities will have a pretty big program. You can call or email music department heads of the schools you're looking at too, and a lot of them will work with you on a tailor-made study abroad program.

It isn't just cut and dry, so check out all you options! Good luck!

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
NitemareHippieGirl
TPunk Recognized

You might be careful about applying to schools overseas. From what I've heard the system is so different from the US that getting a job back in the states or transferring to a grad program in the states is next to impossible unless you go to a really well known university like Oxofrd or Cambridge. Just something to think about.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
aliz
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

I say go for it! I think in your field, having studied overseas would give you an edge and I'm sure there are some great music schools in Europe.
just moved this thread to study/work abroad
Old 05-12-2008, 04:15 AM   #5
tumblezweedz
TPunk Emeritus

My husband went to grad school overseas, the biggest issue for him was getting the receiving school to accept his undergrad grades/agree that he attended a "real" university in the US. I agree with the advice about checking with local schools about possible study abroad programmes - if it's your first opportunity to travel/live abroad, that might also be a gentler introduction to being overseas. Check to see if the programme at a local uni to which you've applied/been accepted has semester abroad or year abroad programmes, and enroll in that - then look into transferring to the overseas school after you've had a chance to see how you like both the facility and the overall experience.

Also, as noted before, some courses might not be transferrable or accepted by US colleges, so you may have to repeat courses you've done overseas. That happened to my husband, who tried to get credits from his overseas university's international relations/poli sci degree applied to his American MBS in international business, to no avail. Not the end of the world, but frustrating!

Good luck.
tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #6
SGRHewitt

Send a message via AIM to SGRHewitt Send a message via MSN to SGRHewitt Send a message via Skype™ to SGRHewitt

A professor in England told me... Undergrad and master programs are superior in Europe over the U.S. However Ph D programs are superior in the U.S.

I personally think the most cost effective way would be to study here, and do a study abroad program. I did London myself, and I've had friends who have done Spain and Italy.

Granted if I had the chance to get my masters in another country, I would jump on that. However I'm not sure if my undergrad work will be sufficient.

Regardless, good luck. Do what you feel is right, and pick the university that best fits your future goals.

July 23 - Sept 13: Back in Europe! Off to Brest, France for a French language course. Schedule is open before August 7 and after August 28, suggestions?
SGRHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #7
travelchick75
Sex and the City Guru

Send a message via MSN to travelchick75

I personally apply to a school in the states first and then check out their study abroad programs as well Not only is it way cheaper, but your gonna have way less of a hassle getting the credits to transfer over and vice versa. That being said however you should look at what international schools your chosen university in the states has agreements with if your dead set on taking your entire degree overseas, that way you've got a backup plan (or university i should say) if you choose to study a graduate program in the states. Just my two cents :D
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
travelchick75 is offline   Reply With Quote