14 days for 1st time Eurotripper - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Post Your Itinerary

Post Your Itinerary Need help in planning, sorting, adding, and subtracting to your itinerary?
Post it here and see how the Tpunks would do it!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-19-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f
Default 14 days for 1st time Eurotripper

Hey guys and gals,

Two friends of mine from back home are coming to visit me in Europe. They are really excited but price is a huge concern for them. I am recommending the following route (they also want to stay with my sister (pugkeys) and me the entire time so we don´t have much wiggle room--and their father was not happy about allowing them to stay out of the country "so long" when the trip was 10 days. 14 is an unfortunate, to me rather arbitrary, rule for two people that are 25 and 19, but alas some travel is better than none).

Arrival in Munich
1 Munich (Schlöss/Neuscwanstein)
2 Munich (Dachau?)
3 Munich city center tour
-Night train to Venice-
4 Venice
5 Venice
-(Night?)Train to Ljubiana-
6 Ljubliana
7 Ljubliana
8 Ljubliana
9 ?
10 ?
11 ?
12 Budapest
13 Budapest
14 Budapest depart for Tampa

I dont know what to do with days 9-11. My thoughts are that I can

a) I can tack on another day to Munich at the beginning at head to Salzburg.
b) Go to Verona from Venice
c) Add Zagreb to the itinerary
d) Add another day to Budapest
e) some combination of the above
f) some awesome suggestions that my fellow punks who have been to the above cities/towns/daytrips to help me with (I only know Munich, and have spent a day in both Venice and Budapest) flushing it out.
g) If you have a better way of doing the Munich start, Budapest end, have at it. The two of them are wary of spending money on a Eurail pass, so I leaned toward Eastern/Central Europe. Their budget from 14 days outside of the flight is 1100 USD (700€) each so 50€ a day.

I am also trying to create a good balance of things to see. Iconic Venice, a taste of Bavaria, some of the iron curtain, a little bit of nature etc.

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation

Last edited by joe7f; 04-19-2008 at 10:48 AM.
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
Esterina
french touch

I was wondering if you wouldn't want to spend two full days in one or two destinations. I know you're thinking of doing night travel, but it's still not full days when you take mornings to get cozy and evenings to depart.

Otherwise, I think going to Zagreb seems convinient and... it's Zagreb. I've heard such good things about this city.

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Maybe add that extra day in Budapest, its a huge magnificant city.
Or maybe hit Austria on the way to Buda.
Or, maybe head to Triste, Italy from Lubjub. Its a beautiful seaside town.
Hope your friends have a blast, shame its only 2 weeks, but I'd take 2 weeks tomorrow
Old 04-20-2008, 08:53 PM   #4
indierock05
Immigrating? Easy? Right.

Send a message via AIM to indierock05 Send a message via Yahoo to indierock05 Send a message via Skype™ to indierock05

Berlin is a really cool city with some great locals, I absolutely loved it there, plus they have a pretty cheap pub crawl so you get the night spots, and a great history tour which is also inexpensive.

If you are going for cheap, try Prague. It isn't as cheap as it used to be but still beats the main path any day.

Any thoughts on Salzburg too? I had a friend who studied abroad there and loved it.

Good luck

"The whole object of travel is to not set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as foreign land" -G.K. Chesterton
"As long as we have memories of the ones we love, we will always be home" - me
Claudette
Go Gators!
indierock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:44 AM   #5
mbo108
TPunk. Recognize.

^^^ Agreed that Prague can still relatively cheap if you eat and drink outside of the main tourist center. Or hit the McDonalds right there (have to admit i did that on the second-to-last day of my trip - had to save my remaining kroner for Pivo).
mbo108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Thanks for the replies everyone! (and a nod to Tony for linking it on the main page!). Small vent coming ...

Unfortunately, when the time came to stop the talking and start the doing, he backed out. He is worried about his class but what he doesn't realize is that this is likely his only chance at doing this.

He will be trying to get a job (white-collar variety) where a 2 week vacation will either be ALL of his time or almost all of it. Moreover, he doesn't want to travel solo and is a bit worried about arranging everything. He had all those concerns taken care of had he come on this leg. I got to say it is a little frustrating. Especially because in order to take the class, all he had to do was book it as an "online" only class. 200 bucks later, he could spend some time abroad but the money stopped him. It is really sad. He will not remember what he did with the class, the little extra study time, or the little extra money, but he would have remembered this trip for the rest of his life.

His sister was really looking forward to coming. He literally bailed the day of buying the ticket so her hopes were sky high. That, to me, is the worst part.

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Old 05-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
offhegoes03
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to offhegoes03

That's a shame. I didn't study abroad in college because I was debating about switching/picking up an additional major because I wasn't happy with the one I was pursuing. I ended up changing my mind and missed my opportunity to study abroad. I regret this because all of my friends had great experiences studying abroad. I feel bad for his sister because I can't imagine getting my hopes up for a trip and then not get to go. Is she opposed to traveling solo?

Barcelona and Beyond, My 2008 European Blog:
http://www.travelpunk.com/blogs/offhegoes03
offhegoes03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:30 AM   #8
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

He comes from a really strict south Indian family so if he can't go to keep an eye on her, they won't let her go. They essentially said that he and she could go but only for a week and that the reason why more time was being ruled out was because I am not family. So they trust me for 7-10 days but not for 14-17. Why? Who knows? He wouldn't even ask! Possibly because I am not really Christian. He was using his own money and it is his own trip/life. Of course, if you are going to have your spouse chosen by your parents, I suppose the control over a vacation seems rather reasonable.

I personally find that thinking so repugnant that I have gotten into a few arguments with him.

--Joey

Old 05-05-2008, 03:29 AM   #9
offhegoes03
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to offhegoes03

Ah, that's a shame. I have a friend that's Indian, but I don't know how controlling her family is. I do know that it's expected that she marry an Indian man, so she at least has that pressure. I can understand that different cultures have different beliefs, so I'm not going to impose my beliefs on them; however it's a shame that they can't get out there and explore the world.

Barcelona and Beyond, My 2008 European Blog:
http://www.travelpunk.com/blogs/offhegoes03
offhegoes03 is offline   Reply With Quote