Working in NZ - any Kiwi's here? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Studying, Living, Working, Volunteering Abroad, Expats

Studying, Living, Working, Volunteering Abroad, Expats Currently or planning on studying abroad, living abroad, working abroad, and volunteering abroad. Expats talk for all of you Huck Finn's out there. You rebels with a without a cause. Summer travel is child's play to you.

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
snowball1982
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

Default Working in NZ - any Kiwi's here?

Hey all,
I am planning an extensive trip around Europe for the summer. I am not really sure how long I will be gone for, but its looking more and more like I will not be coming back to my home city after (in Canada). Lets just say I need a breath of fresh air in my life. So anyways, in the likely event I take a long trip - I am talking 2-5 months or so - I will need something to do after!

One thing I am tossing around is the possibility of working abroad, and for some reason New Zealand has always called out to me. It is a place that I have always wanted to visit, but because of geographics and what-not its more feasible to go there for a long time versus just visiting.

I am looking at the working holiday program for the country, but I just don't know where to start or how far in the future to plan. You can pay to apply to the program (which gives you up to a year of work in NZ), of which I do not know the expense. What are the odds of finding a job being a non-resident and not being easily interviewed and what-not? When I was looking for work this summer I applied to a plethora of jobs in different cities in Canada and was only given interviews in my home city. I am thinking that this could be magnified for international purposes which is not cool!! Can any Kiwi's chime in about the labour market or anyone for that matter? Should I go to Auckland or are their other reccomended places? I just really don't know where to start and I would be much obliged for any direction.

Thank You!
Old 03-10-2008, 11:16 PM   #2
thekid
T-PUNK RANGER

yo man, il be leavin in june for that working holiday you were talking about. if i save hard right now il just clear the minimum amount of funds you need to get in ($3200) and have enough for that bad ass plane ticket. im heading down for their winter and will hopefully be working for one of the ski hills down near wanaka and queenstown, and maybe head to the north island for the summer.

anyone know where the best surf is in new zealand? i wouldnt mind spending the other half of my stay (and the rest of my money) in some sweet little surf town.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:25 PM   #3
thekid
T-PUNK RANGER

oh, and to answer some of your other questions its $120CAD to apply for the visa, and it only takes like a week for them to approve you if you do it online. its nice cause you dont have to send your passport away or anything.
i dunno what the job situation is down there, but im hopeing to have a job before i leave (usually not to hard when working for ski hills/resorts and stuff)
Old 03-11-2008, 12:14 AM   #4
snowball1982
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

Also I am not looking to work in a resort or anything like that if I can help it! I am rounding out 26 and have done: stocking shelves, farming, construction, landscaping, army, etc as a younger lad. I've got a couple university degrees and a couple years of professional work behind me so I was hoping to fine something more career related...? Does this reduce my chances?
Thanks!
Old 03-11-2008, 02:04 AM   #5
The Sasquatch
TPunk Recognized

Ok, well here's a thread I should be able to help on. I was on the NZ working holiday visa for about 4 months last year. Woulda been longer but had to come home for a wedding.

As for the visa, I was approved online in about 36hrs. Found a pretty sweet flight to visit Australia first to see some friends, and then French Polynesia on the way home.

As for the professional job market, won't be able to help you there, but there are a couple of nice young kiwi ladies on the site. They should be able to help you, and you should also try to visit them. good times. I imagine most of your professional job ops will be in auckland, but I didn't like auckland too much, wellington seemed like a much nicer place to live.

thekid - have you found a ski hill job yet? i think they do interviews in a couple places in canada. should look into it. I took my board with me and got to ride a couple places and liked wanaka the best, umm, treble cone the hill is called. but queenstown was definitely the party town if thats what you're after and in that case, the remarkables and coronet peak are the closer ones.
As for surf towns, I know I heard of one on the west coast of the north island that i think is called Raglan. Shot some famous surfing movie there which doesn't come to mind right now. Supposed to be alright though.

Any other questions, let me know. I bought a car there too so kinda know a bit about that.
The Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
lauren313
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Ahh, definitely go to NZ, it's the most beautiul country in the world... I actually plan on living out there for a bit myself, maybe in the few years though.

Can't really offer you any advice. I don't know if it works differently for Canadians (or anywhere other than the UK) but they're always after "skilled workers". As a Brit, I (should) be able to go there with few problems, as I'm on their list of "areas of absolute skills shortage" (nurse - or will be once I qualify)...

If you're thinking of something more long term than just a couple of months, then maybe it's worth looking into that. It's done on a points system, you get points for the type of skills you have, the education you have, your age, etc etc. This is, however, for a permenant residency visa. Obviously you don't have to stay forever, but I imagine you're probably more likely to be employed in a "career" type job if you have a decent amount of time ahead of you.

I think I may have rambled on like mad there. Go somewhere other than Auckland!!!
Old 03-11-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
mooloo
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mooloo

Hey there,

I am from NZ so may be able to help with some questions.

Have a look on www.trademe.co.nz in the job section and www.seek.co.nz to see if you can see anything for a starter.

My one peice of advice is to definately come to the north island and don't stay in just auckland or wellington, move around a bit, get out and see our beautiful country!!

Stop by Wanganui (or somewhere within a few hours if your not brave enough for Wanganui?!) and i'll buy ya a drink.

PM me if you have any questions about the country - havn't seen much of the south island though unfortunately!

Amanda

Explore, Dream, Discover." Mark Twain

---------------------------------------------------------------
My World Travelogue - Bloggity Blog
Updated April 2010!
--------------------------------------------------
Soon
NZ or OZ
Saving for a year - 18 months for a decent trip

Soonest
Trying my hand at short walks/tramps in NZ
NZ or OZ Travel
Passport Stamps; Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Thailand, Cambodia, Singapore, Vietnam
mooloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:06 AM   #8
kiwichick
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to kiwichick

heya,
I live in Welly and luvvv it! its a diverse city with plenty of job opps, and also very centrally located for travelling. I dont imagine you would have a lot of trouble picking up work, kiwis are generally pretty receptive to foriegners and bad as it made seems it def helps if english is your first language.
taking a quick pepp over what was written there are huge construction worker demands in wgtn (our housing market is heading for a slump but unsure wether that will make much difference) and plenty of construction temp type agencies (Allied workforce comes to mind)
With wanaka vs. queenstown it is worth considering the huge cost of living in queenstown.
And yeh in terms of surf raglan is well known but also fairly dangerous, pretty sure there is decent surf either side of gisbourne, taranaki isnt bad and lyall bay in wellington has the odd good day lol.
lil tipsy right now and not checking the site a lot at the mo, but PM me and it'll come up in my email if i can help at all
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #9
snowball1982
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

I can't iterate enough that I refuse to do construction or food service work!!
I want to use my noggin and degree's in a professional job (contract, term, internship, whatever) - preferably in the public industry (civil service, government, city, provincial, non-profit, environmental, post-secondary, etc). Although I would consider other options as well.

The saskquatch did the working holiday scheme and apparently you dont need to send in your passport and they aprove it quick. So I was thinking of finding a job first before doing that. Wonder what my odds are applying while I am on the road in Europe?

Whats the best city to live in out of these ones?

Auckland 1,294,000
Wellington 379,000
Christchurch 378,700
Hamilton 163,900

Any other tips?

Thanks
Old 03-17-2008, 05:31 PM   #10
The Sasquatch
TPunk Recognized

Hey, what kind of degree do you have anyway? Maybe the girls can help you more with what the situation is like in nz if they know your field.

I didn't get to spend much time in Welly and never made it to Hamilton, but I would say either Welly or Chch. Wellington seemed kinda like a hipper town, maybe more student oriented. I didn't like Christchurch the first time we passed through, but it was cold and we stayed outside of the centre. But when i came back, it was nice out and we spent alot of time in the city centre which was pretty nice. Very English feel.
The Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:44 AM   #11
mooloo
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mooloo

I personally love Wellington - but Wally is right it is very student orientated, Auckland is a little bit big for me, and Hamilton is very big city and student orientated, I do really like Christchurch though as it doesnt really feel like a big city, yet it is if you know what I mean - if you were gunna go south island def go to christchurch, north island i would say wellington.

I'm not sure what kind of professional work you are interested in, but we have a HUGE shortage of accountants and auditors in NZ, actually i think basically everywhere in the world does, you could try looking for entry level positions on either of the sites I suggested earlier, or do a search for a profession you have some skills or education in....

Ciao for now,

Amanda

Explore, Dream, Discover." Mark Twain

---------------------------------------------------------------
My World Travelogue - Bloggity Blog
Updated April 2010!
--------------------------------------------------
Soon
NZ or OZ
Saving for a year - 18 months for a decent trip

Soonest
Trying my hand at short walks/tramps in NZ
NZ or OZ Travel
Passport Stamps; Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Thailand, Cambodia, Singapore, Vietnam
mooloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:00 PM   #12
kiwichick
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to kiwichick

I love wellington as well but would argue that it really isnt student orientated.. no seriously think rent prices, parking, lack of student discounts, spread out nature of the campuses etc.. BUT a very cool place, always heaps going on..
I think most places in NZ will want to meet u, its very hard to fire anyone in nz employment laws, but emailing cvs etc should surely be able to set u up some interviews for when you arrive..
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:50 AM   #13
lauren313
Tpunk Senior Moderators

My vote goes to Christchurch.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:27 PM   #14
Diorama
TPunk Emeritus

My vote is wellington..Cuz I live here and like it! It's by the water. Cool bars, good eats..I'm a canadian on my working holiday visa right now. Though I work in a hotel so I have no advice in the 'professional field' It was really easy for me to find work.
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote