Argg! Spanish visa issues - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 01-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f
Default Argg! Spanish visa issues

Spain is pretty much my favorite foreign country on the planet. Friendly people, good music, delicious food, beautiful cities, magnificent art and architecture, and a good climate. I love Spain. I love Spaniards. I pretty much hate Spanish customer "service"*.

A vent/story to follow :D

I am trying to get a student visa to stay in Spain until early May (110 days or so). As a US passport holder I get 90 days on the house, it is those last 20 days that get a little prickly.

The plan was to attend a Spanish language school for 12 weeks, they send an invitation to the Spanish consulate in Miami, who sends it to the Spanish government who ponders the legitimacy of my claim who fires the thing right back to Miami so I can pick it up. Estimated time: 6 weeks.

If I leave in six weeks in order to get the visa guess what?, I am under 90 days. Now the main advantage (other than complying with the law) of getting a visa is that students can take up some part time work as long as it doesn't interfere with their studies. Earn some money, learn some spanish, and get foreign business experience = awesome.

So being the law abiding guy I am, I call the Spanish embassy in Washington. They immediately transfer me to a dial tone. Attempt two, they give me the consulate in DC. No one answers. I get a website, and call the consulate in Miami, again no one answers. I call New York...YES a real live human friggin being. I say I am in Florida and he doesn't even want to say another word to me (I am Miami's problem after all ). He tells me I am going to be waiting at least 7 weeks. Can I apply once in Spain? NO! Okay okay.

Surely there is a way of expediting this? So I call Miami. Ten calls to the consulate and not one time is ANYONE available to answer the call. I call Houston, get someone and ask about expediting a visa (again, being from Florida he is "not able" to answer my questions) and he gives me a number where someone will be in Miami. Great!

Hello, I would like some information on expediting student visas please.
"Well...our way of expediting the process is to send your information on to Spain the day we receive it"
Tells you something when doing your job is above and beyond.
"In every country, for every agency, there is a way of expediting the process, usually you just have to pay an extra fee"
"I can give you a website"
"Yes and it tells me I need to wait six weeks, I need something faster, what can you do to help me"
"Sorry there is nothing I can do. Sorry"
::CLICK::

Call me an entitled ugly American but I expect a little bit of service when I am on the phone, hanging up on me is not part of that. No assistance, no "I'll call you back, let me check with someone" no nothing!

So now my options are:

1.) Just go to Spain for the 90 days and come home
2.) Go to Spain for a few weeks, apply for a visa at home, and return home to pick it up (spending about 12 days at home would cover the cost of the flight since we are in the low season)
3.) Go do the Asian leg of my trip, and go to Spain in the Fall when I would have my visa.
4.) Ignore the law, go to Spain the entire time because, let's face it, they probably won't even notice that I overstayed my visa unless they check dates on the stamps.
5.) Wait a few days so I only have an 80 day trip or so and take my chances that my extra travel in Schengen countries flies under the radar.. (I would be flying out of the UK which is not a signatory)
6.) See if I can travel to a non-Schengen country apply from there as an American, go to Spain, and return to that country when my visa is ready before going back to Spain. <-Probably preferable

Anyone with some suggestions?

--Joey

*Btw, if you ever need service in Spain, you ask anyone at a bus stop for a bit if help and everyone jumps in with friendly recommendations. One lady drew me a map of the town to help my find my school. They can turn a to a :D and eventually a for all people who stay there for any length of time

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:55 PM   #2
space virgin
Yoda

Don't overstay. The potential gain (a few more days) isn't worth the potential downfall (blacklisted). They do frequently check dates now!

I would go for option #3, go to Asia and come back to Spain when everything is legit. I love Spain too.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #3
afterlife3
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to afterlife3

take a trip to Morocco. If you are there for a few days, it should reset. At least, I would hope it does. You can find some decently priced trips from Spain to Morocco. Where in Spain will you be?
"The enormity of our endeavor excaped us in those moments; all we could see was the dust on the road ahead and ourselves on the bike, devouring kilometers in our flight northward."- Ernesto Che Guevara

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page. -St. Augustine

http://www.travelpunk.com/boards/index.php..._album&album=14
afterlife3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:11 PM   #4
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Andalucia, I don't believe it is reset. Lizz posted something I heard on the phone in an earlier thread that the limit is 90 days in 6 months.

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #5
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

I have never been to Spain but I can feel your passion for the country. =] I would not go without a visa because if you spend the 90 days "on the house" that will mean you cannot go to any other Schengen countries (that pesky agreement ) for the next 90 days. (it doesn't reset, you're only allowed 90 out of 180 days) I suppose if you had that visa it wouldn't count against your Schengen days. I could be wrong?

I would go for option #6 since I bet you are most looking forward to Spain. Def don't get blacklisted like SV said. And from your favorite country! Imagine =[
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:11 AM   #6
SGRHewitt

Send a message via AIM to SGRHewitt Send a message via MSN to SGRHewitt Send a message via Skype™ to SGRHewitt

Sorry to see you're having trouble. It's a wonder why some countries make it hard for Americans to come, especially when we're bringing in dollars for their economy... I'm guessing since the EU has taken over and the Euro being so strong, they seem to care less and less.

Regardless, I have no useful information to contribute, just well wishes.

July 23 - Sept 13: Back in Europe! Off to Brest, France for a French language course. Schedule is open before August 7 and after August 28, suggestions?
SGRHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote