Donating Organs for Money - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Travel Budget, Money Matters, Financial Talk
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Travel Budget, Money Matters, Financial Talk Mom, can I borrow ten grand?! Gimme yo mastercard! How the heck can I pay for my trip?! Ideas for making money. How much dough do I need?

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 11-19-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
glitterhairdye

Send a message via AIM to glitterhairdye
Default Donating Organs for Money

So my mom heard on ABC that they're thinking about a program where you can donate a kidney or a lung and get about $60,000. I was talking to my bf today and I told him that if someone gave me $20,000 than I would leave school and travel the world, getting a job somewhere at a hostel. He didn't think I was serious. And then my mom was like, no, you would not be allowed to donate your organs for money and quit school. I think she's scared because I actually would do it. :X
Anyone else right there with me???
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325
glitterhairdye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Um, thats an interesing question. Any organ you give up, you may definatley end up regretting later. Although, if you waved 40-60 thousand in my face, I would def. have to consider it. Thats a tough question, and I'm the type to normally say yes!
Old 11-19-2007, 05:00 PM   #3
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

I would rather save it for my own use, or else for a relative who might need it...

My grandmother used to make stained glass (she taught me too). She never sold any of her stuff (even lamps, which can cost $1000+) because of the time she spent on it. It ended up becoming so precious to her that giving it away to the people she cared about was the only way she found to disperse it respectfully. I kind of feel the same about my organs. And if I don't need them for my life or a relative or friend while I'm alive, then I hope whoever gets them when I die goes on to live and accomplish something spectacular.

But I have thought about this. And egg donation. But I feel the same way about both.

...BUT, I have not run out of grocery money yet. Talk to me after January.
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
BigE
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to BigE Send a message via Yahoo to BigE

I don't think anyone would want my organs at this point, certainly not my lungs.

"An oppressive government is more to be feared than a tiger, or a beer."
-Confucius

Somewhere in England (maybe) - Spring (TBA)
Israel - Summer (TBA)
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
freespiritz
always trippin'

I think I'd definitely like to hang on to my organs for now, although my friends and I were discussing the egg donor thing earlier this week, which does sound potentially tempting at times.

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
BigE
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to BigE Send a message via Yahoo to BigE

I didn't realize Tpunk had so many chickens.

"An oppressive government is more to be feared than a tiger, or a beer."
-Confucius

Somewhere in England (maybe) - Spring (TBA)
Israel - Summer (TBA)
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
Joker
You want fries with that?

I'd gladly donate my orgasms for money. It's a win-win.

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:00 PM   #8
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

^ No it's not! The person who donates a kidney actually ends up doing worse than the person who they donate it to, and it takes like a year to *almost* fully recover (you never fully recover). I might do that for someone I really cared about but just for money I don't think it's worth it. I wouldn't be able to travel the way I would like and therefore what would be the point? I certainly dont need any more stuff....

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:38 PM   #9
LostFarmboy
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

Hahaha, SA I think you should look at the wording of Joker's post a little more closely
Old 11-19-2007, 07:49 PM   #10
LostFarmboy
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_angelic View Post
The person who donates a kidney actually ends up doing worse than the person who they donate it to, and it takes like a year to *almost* fully recover (you never fully recover).
A mate of mine lost a kidney in a motorbike crash a few years ago and he said the only way it impacts his life is that he can't drink as much booze as he used to. Apart from that his life is exactly the same.

I think the major problem with donating a kidney is that if you have any trouble with your remaining kidney then you're stuffed because you've lost your backup.

I wouldn't donate any of my organs unless it was for family. Life is too fragile to mess with like that.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #11
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

I didn't even catch it until you made me reread it LFB... Nice Jokes...Nice!

I would do it!
Old 11-19-2007, 08:01 PM   #12
Joker

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Old 11-20-2007, 01:36 AM   #13
mermaidnz
TPunk Recognized

well, you only get given one heart, one liver, one face etc... so selling a kidney and only having one, wouldnt be *that* bad.

although, i would hate to sell out, and later down the track possibly need it for a friend or a family member. nah, fuck it. 60k?! thats enough for a house deposit, and funds to travel for about 2 years wisely. the family member/friend can survive on one too.

count me in :D

www.youtube.com/jandalworldtour
www.youtube.com/theguzzleguts
mermaidnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:25 AM   #14
MeTurk
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Not a hope in hell! I'd even be picky about which family members I'd donate to. Granny can fup off she's had a good run, nephew, ok he's young might turn out rich, he can have the kidney.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:33 AM   #15
lauren313
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTurk View Post
Granny can fup off she's had a good run, nephew, ok he's young might turn out rich, he can have the kidney.
That made me laugh so much. I'm kind of with you on this one, I'd be really fussy about who I'd give a kidney too. I kind of want my kidneys to stay where they belong. Now, after death, that's another matter, my kidneys will be part of a free for all, along with everything else in my body.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:26 AM   #16
glitterhairdye

Send a message via AIM to glitterhairdye

So I'm surprised. I would have thought more people would sell their kidneys to travel. Hahaha
The count it
Would: 4
Wouldn't: 6
Very surprising indeed.
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325
glitterhairdye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:47 AM   #17
pinknic38
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

I read somewhere that you can give half your liver to someone if you're a match, and they go in and cut out half the liver (if you're young and it's not rotten from booze) and in like 2 months the liver is regenerated to normal...

no way, I'd never give up my organs, alive or dead. those bitches are mine and donor surgeons are ruthless... like a pack of vultures. they will try to take EVERYTHING, even your skin and eyes.

I would second guess my strong opinion starting at six figures but no lower.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:36 PM   #18
LostFarmboy
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinknic38 View Post
I read somewhere that you can give half your liver to someone if you're a match, and they go in and cut out half the liver (if you're young and it's not rotten from booze) and in like 2 months the liver is regenerated to normal...
Yeah, the mate of mine that lost his kidney in a motorbike crash has also managed to split his liver in half in another motorbike accident. The doctors left the liver to heal itself and it just grew back together...crazy liver.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:00 PM   #19
Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinknic38 View Post

Thank God that precludes me. I knew the years of abusing my body like it was a cheap flophouse would eventually pay off.

What amazes me is that these guys haven't made an appearance yet. It's like I don't even know you people anymore...

Old 11-20-2007, 07:28 PM   #20
Dig
TPunk Moderator

Oh helllll no.

Not for any amount of money. That being said, I might be persuaded to donate an organ to a person near and dear to me. If I bust my arse at my new profession I might be able to clear 60k in a year. I talked with a guy today that cleard 100k in 9 months this year. Oh, I'm working as a pipe fitter. Thank goodness I got a degree