Fear and Loathing in Amsterdam - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Europe: Western

Europe: Western Cafés, castles, architecture, art, wine, the Euro, gastronomy, let´s meet up, and pub crawls.! Oh oui, backpackers paradise...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-09-2004, 08:58 PM   #1
Somnambulation
TPunk Emeritus

Just wondering how many people have sampled the wares of Amsterdam? What did you enjoy? I know there are all kinds of crazy variations on traditional weed, plus the other stuff like hash, mushrooms, and other pharmaceuticals that are harder to get in the US. I plan on partaking in some of this activity, but I've only ever smoked weed (irregularly at best), so I will probably take it easy for the most part.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 01:17 AM   #2
Ozpacka
TPunk Recognized

Cheers...

I had never smoked (not even tobacco) until i went to amsterdam, but partook in a some pipes. I thought what the hell... I also bought a chocolate hash muffin. That was quite tasty washed down with a beer. I tell you that night, (1am ish) i was glad there was a KFC opened, cuz all three of us went there, and ate a shit load of chicken. I never really felt that bad at the time, but now thinking back, it was only the lights in the ground in the park that we followed that really got us home. Was pretty quiet on the bus that next day but.

Cant wait to be back in may.

Leeroy

Travelpunk - More extreme than your Mum!
Ozpacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 05:49 AM   #3
clemsam
Members

Send a message via AIM to clemsam

Yeah I've been wondering what people have to say about this as well. I've done my share of smoking weed in the U.S., but I'm sure it's nothing compared to what you can get over there. I'd love to hear about any experiences yall have had! I do have to admit I'm kinda nervous about it, just being in a foreign country, not really knowing where I am, etc. Not that I'm going to let that stop me! So any advice on this subject would be appreciated!
Old 03-10-2004, 06:49 AM   #4
my retro career
TPunk Emeritus

Clem,

My advice is ...don't HOLD your breath for too long!
I reckon most smokers in the US tend to prolong their "experience" by holding their breath as long as they can, in order to save.

A bag of 12 Euros will supply you with more than a few days. Just take it easy and find your limits.

I like a place in the east, near the Nieuwmarkt, called Bluebird. It's a coffeshop and cafe style with a very laid back atmosphere and a huge leather sofa so you can melt away into oblivion!

Nearby is Chinatown for that anticipated munchies!!
Old 03-10-2004, 07:26 AM   #5
Canadian Dude
TPunk Emeritus

Not much of a smoker myself, but when in A-Dam the first time I did, for the novenlty of it...the first time I went I ate the space cake, which was pretty fucd, and took some pill a guy in a sex shop gave me...that was odd aswell...looking back on that, prob not a smart idea, but hey I was in A-Dam, who gives a fuc!!!

My second trip there was much, much more tame...

If you do have the urge to smoke, stop in and see Eagle Bill At the HAsh and Hemp Museum this guy is amazing!!!! shares a wicked toke with ya, shoots the shit, and he lives on your donations...I have met him a couple of times, and its worth it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eaglebill.jpg (17.9 KB, 4 views)

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 10:17 AM   #6
cali_girl
Members

although i have pretty much abandoned the vices of my college days - that's right, i was QUITE the party girl - i certainly cannot go to amsterdam without partaking of the "culture."

Quote:
Cant wait to be back in may.
ozpacka - when are you gonna be there? i'll be there may 22.

cg

email me at skidd22@hotmail.com
cali_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 12:04 PM   #7
clemsam
Members

cali girl,

are you going to be in amsterdam may 22nd? I'll be there right around the 22nd as well, maybe the 23rd...let me know!!
Old 03-10-2004, 12:15 PM   #8
joanofarc
Weasel Jones

amsterdam was really a beautiful city... now i've posted this link before - don't be scared by the ugly face on the page when you open it - this girl knows her amsterdam!

i took her recommendations on her favorite coffee shop - de kuil - shit, it was so nice. not too many young backpackers, if that's what you're looking for, a lot more local middle aged people and i saw a fair share of hip hollanders too - it's one of the oldest coffee shops in amsterdam and they even serve alcohol (most don't!) they have a beautiful antique wood bar - the best part? they play classic rock!

really worth a visit - use the vaporizer (or maybe not) - i'm an everyday smoker, you know, and it still severely kicked my ass....
Old 03-10-2004, 01:20 PM   #9
Ozpacka
TPunk Recognized

Yeah, i would be hoping to be in amsterdam around the 22nd...

Just have to suss out where my mate wants to spend his birthday (may 20). I think amsterdam would be the perfect place, eh.

Old 03-10-2004, 01:49 PM   #10
Carisia
TPunk Recognized

baked goods sound interesting!
Carisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 01:04 AM   #11
cali_girl
Members

Quote:
are you going to be in amsterdam may 22nd? I'll be there right around the 22nd as well, maybe the 23rd...let me know!!
yeah, planning on getting there may 22 and staying for 3-5 nights. i'm staying at the flying pig downtown. heard it's quite a happening place to stay... we should def meet up! and maybe we can drag leeroy around with us - nothing like a cute aussie accent!

cg

email me at skidd22@hotmail.com
cali_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 07:37 AM   #12
clemsam
Members

Cali Girl,
Sounds good to me. I'm planning on staying at the flying pig downtown also! We should definetly drag leeroy out with us, can't go wrong with an aussie accent Not sure how long I'm staying but definetly 2-3 nights at least. Glad to know you two will be there when I am!!!!!
Old 03-11-2004, 08:29 AM   #13
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by joanofarc@Mar 10 2004, 08:15 PM
really worth a visit - use the vaporizer (or maybe not) - i'm an everyday smoker, you know, and it still severely kicked my ass....
Yah, they break it down to a science there - I think the "Hemp College" especially. Supposedly, vaporizing is the ultimate method because you get the pure crystallized THC at the right temperature without all the impurities and it hits your system faster.

All I had time to try was space cakes, though. Had zero effect on me - although it knocked some of my friends over.
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 01:36 PM   #14
Somnambulation
TPunk Emeritus

Wow, I thought this had been deleted for a second before I realized this site is far too cool do something like that.

I am looking forward to trying some of the baked goods more than anything. My pretty pink lungs have a hard time with smoke sometimes.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:35 PM   #15
Columbia
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Columbia

ha! just started reading that book...and it gave me some pretty strange dreams/nightmares..wow.

Yeap, couldn't go to Amsterdam without sampling the wares..baked goods especially. BC is some crazy huge market for marijuana; I wouldn't want to leave without a taste of something new.

"Oh my God, someone ate my entire pie!"
Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 04:39 PM   #16
joanofarc
Weasel Jones

everyone's gotta learn for themselves, i guess... but:
the space cakes are a rip off! try an 8 euro gram instead... or some dutch hash - shit... i tried three "space cakes" and to no avail... different shops/ types of cakes too...

by contrast - i shared (ate 1/2) of a small brownie my friend got at some reggae show here in the states ($5) and when she left my house 3 hours later, we could barely communicate... go figure.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:48 PM   #17
Somnambulation
TPunk Emeritus

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is one of my favorite books. Its one of those you can read again and again and appreciate each time. Make sure to see the movie too, it is much better after you have read the book and understand what is going on.

How do the effects of weed compare with those of hash? Is it just weed in the 'space cake'? What was your favorite thing over there Joan?
Old 03-11-2004, 11:53 PM   #18
Ozpacka
TPunk Recognized

Cheers Cali and Clem

You guys can keep me out of trouble, or help me find it
whatever comes first i spose!

Bring on the party...

Leeroy

Old 03-12-2004, 09:10 AM   #19
ashpunk
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to ashpunk

Anyone planning on going later... aug maybe?

"Be not afraid of going slowly, be afraid only of standing still"
"Not all who wander are lost"
ashpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 09:40 AM   #20
joanofarc
Weasel Jones

weed:
it's an all over high, body, mind, etc. it takes you over , humbles you. haha. you feel kind of sleepy and lagging - i love it.

hash:
"warm visor" that's how i describe the feeling it gives. you feel it in your head, that's about it - don't smoke too much! you have a lot more control over yourself when on hash. i prefer weed.

spacecakes:
i think they must only use water leaves in the ones in a'dam - they're so weak. normally though, just weed.

favorite thing, by far (i'm assuming you mean on the weed tip):
honestly - sitting in de kuil coffee shop (so beautiful, great music) drinking delicious coffee and smoking a joint, watching the people pass by. it's such a super cozy coffee shop - high quality shit too. nicely priced coffee, cool staff.