dumbest things you've heard tourists say - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-29-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
pinknic38
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38
Default dumbest things you've heard tourists say

okay we all know that not everyone is as especially clever as we all are, so I know that while hanging out at a hostel or out and about in your travels and meeting new people from wherever, you have heard something dumb and ridiculous come out of someone's mouth.

for example, I wanted to hide in a corner when I met this kid when we were in spain. he (we'll call him Jack) was from the Indiana, I think, and I introduced him to a few friends I'd met, one being from Delaware (we'll sall her Sarah) and a few from various parts of Europe. Anyway we were all hanging out and conversing the normal "get to know you questions"...

Jack (to Sarah): where are you from
Sarah: I'm from Delaware
Jack: Oh that's in Germany right? Oh no wait, I'm retarded, I was thinking of Denmark.

WOW.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

I was in the Caribbean (St. Thomas) one time, on a little scenic ocean cruise. As you cruise around the island, there is a fairly good size mountain that you can see. The tour guide related how on one trip a passenger asked how the skiing was in the winter........

(Maybe that's just a tall tale he tells...not sure but I have met people stupid enough to say something like that so i believe it is quite possible someone actually said that)

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

Oh please, I know some people who were asked in JULY where all the snow was in Toronto (yes it was by our friendly neighbours to the south who thought they'd do a little ski trip)

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
maracle
Rabidly Xenophilic

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_angelic View Post
Oh please, I know some people who were asked in JULY where all the snow was in Toronto (yes it was by our friendly neighbours to the south who thought they'd do a little ski trip)
You should have told them that during the summer you have to use all of it for upkeep on your igloos!

This isn't really a travel story, but it concerns an idiot american. I had a roommate for 6 months that was not only a know it all, but generally 100% completely wrong about everything. My favorite example was when he insisted that passover was a Christian holiday, especially popular among Catholics. He was absolutely positive about this and wouldn't hear a word from me to the contrary. God I hated that guy.

Anyway, I can give my personal example...listing the UK and Wales in my list of places I've been.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:42 PM   #5
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

Haha Maracle. And you've been to the United States AND California!!!
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
maracle
Rabidly Xenophilic

Quote:
Originally Posted by florencia9699 View Post
Haha Maracle. And you've been to the United States AND California!!!

Thats why I put that there, as penance for my UK/wales gaffe! :D
Old 10-29-2007, 03:20 PM   #7
pinknic38
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

Quote:
Originally Posted by maracle View Post
. My favorite example was when he insisted that passover was a Christian holiday, especially popular among Catholics. He was absolutely positive about this and wouldn't hear a word from me to the contrary.
I guess he had no idea about the Jewish folks then...LOL

tpunk gallery * twitter
Old 10-29-2007, 04:07 PM   #8
hurr111
Members

I was in Pompeii on my trip and there was this married couple walking around. They had a young child in a carriage. The lady was trying her hardest to push this carriage across the ruined cobblestoned streets...This is what came out of her mouth...

Wife: "You know, they are not making this easy for people with baby carriages. All these streets should be paved over, this is ridiculous."

Husband: "You are an idiot."
hurr111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:12 PM   #9
MolsonGirl
Drifter in the making.

(keyboard busted) I supose it's not specific... but I love wen peolple tink tat talkin slower and LOUDER will make people understand. I'm sure I"ll remember sometin specific soon.

I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive.
~ Jane Austen in a Letter (1811-05-31)
MolsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:01 PM   #10
pinknic38
TPunk Moderator

^oh yeah I love that one! haha

oh and I almost forgot, this happened to me with people I was traveling with... so embarassing. in this guy's defnese it was his first time outside the country, or outside of the midwest really.

a group of us were in cancun a few years ago. we stayed in some sweet all inclusive resort so you know it was all spring-breakers. so we got to meet a lot of the people who were staying near us. the people directly across the hall was this group from switzerland. so we're drinking some beers together and chatting it up, my group and the swiss group. and my friend joey, bless his heart, said "I never met anyone who could speak Swiss before!"

I just slapped my forhead in exasperation and drank faster...

tpunk gallery * twitter
Old 10-30-2007, 11:11 AM   #11
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

I've heard lots of dumb things, but the one dumb thing I saw people do on our last night in Egypt irritated me. We were at the Sound and Light show at the pyramids of Giza. As the light would change, or a pattern of laser light would play across the surface of the pyramids...oh, about a mile away, these physics majors would stand up and take a flash photograph of them.

1. Your flash won't reach that far.
2. Your illuminating what...light? With more light?
3. I hope you enjoyed the pics of peoples' heads in sharp relief in the rows in front of you...!

Okay, I'll even be generous and say someone doesn't think about it, and does it once. After looking at his viewfinder on his digicam, and seeing it didn't work, did they think to try it without the flash? Nope. They just kept up the steady barrage of flashes...augh! I honestly felt like standing up and shouting, "PEOPLE! Turn your damn flash off...show some consideration." The flashes were really annoying. Or can you tell by reading this...?

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:57 AM   #12
Columbia
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Columbia

ahhhahahaa i love these!
It's not a tourist thing...but it's all I can think of...
I'm on the phone with a woman with a thick southern accent, trying to give her my contact information.

Woman: What city are you from?
Me: Kelowna
Woman: And what's your private?
Me: .... ummm?
Woman: Your private, mam, I need your private.
Me: Um, I'm not sure what you're asking me.
Woman: Just give me your private, mam.
Me: Is this like a number? Wha-
Woman: I can't do this without your private, mam.
Me: Ummmm BC?
Woman: BC?
Me: Like British Columbia?
Woman: ok

And we move on.
PROVINCE, anyone? I didn't mind that she didn't know, but she was so RUDE! Arg. That's my story
Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:14 PM   #13
MolsonGirl
Drifter in the making.

Next time I travel, I'm writin em all down!!

I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive.
~ Jane Austen in a Letter (1811-05-31)
MolsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:37 PM   #14
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwidemike View Post
these physics majors would stand up and take a flash photograph of them.

1. Your flash won't reach that far.
2. Your illuminating what...light? With more light?
3. I hope you enjoyed the pics of peoples' heads in sharp relief in the rows in front of you...!

I honestly felt like standing up and shouting, "PEOPLE! Turn your damn flash off...show some consideration." The flashes were really annoying. Or can you tell by reading this...?

worldwidemike

I saw this brain surgeon from the Nigerian military doing this in a museum (trying to take a picture behind glass) and they did it with the flash.

1.) The museum is a monument to those who died in Hiroshima
b.) No photography is permitted
3rd YOU CAN'T TAKE A FLASH PHOTO OF SOMETHING BEHIND GLASS!

Adjust the exposure, shutter and the like...or better yet, have some respect don't photograph where they request that you don't. Flash photos almost never look good anyway.

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:43 PM   #15
pinknic38
TPunk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia View Post
PROVINCE, anyone? I didn't mind that she didn't know, but she was so RUDE! Arg. That's my story
I had no idea province and private were interchangable!!

tpunk gallery * twitter
Old 10-30-2007, 04:46 PM   #16
jengt
Hiked the Inca Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinknic38 View Post
I had no idea province and private were interchangable!!
Wow, I'm going to have to check my thesaurus on this. I can have some REAL fun conversations now.

Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer (an ad in the Smithsonian)

Travel is the enemy of bigotry.
jengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:13 PM   #17
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

What kind of fun? Or is that something you are keeping provincial?

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:11 AM   #18
Columbia
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Columbia

LOL, well, in her defense, I assume the screen she was working on said Pr: ______
But you'd think, working in a call centre....heck maybe she was new, or nobody bothered to correct her. I was too afraid of her to tell her she was an idiot.
MEAN
Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:46 AM   #19
Rebel1
TPunk Recognized

Yeah that woman on the phone really needs to get a new job. When you are that pissed off trudging through work it's time for a new one. Find work you like right? I'm sure she could find something she likes that requires less umm....PR skills maybe?

The slower and louder talking gets me too. In Pamplona (for running of the bulls), with a huge hangover and very little sleep for almost three days, I was waiting on my friend to get his bag. I was relaxing by a statue and soaking up the sun when i hear a very loud american kid talking about how drunk he was last night. He comes up to me (I do look spanish with a tan) and in very broken spanish he is attempting to ask the time. Feeling like an asshole at that moment i stare at him blankly...Louder and louder he says "senor, senor que hora es?" I just stare at him. Slower and louder this time. "Senor, senor" over and over. I would have thought this kid would have given up when finally i said "I'm from f'ing Cleveland man." He blinked twice and everyone around started laughing. Stupid story but it really sticks out in my mind.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:10 AM   #20
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

that's brilliant!

I gotta think about this one for a bit... I'm sure i'll think of a couple...