electric showers - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-21-2007, 06:31 AM   #1
TheWills
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to TheWills
Default electric showers

ok this is for those of you heading off to S.E.A. or Africa, maybe even S.A.
Electric fucing showers, I have such a beef with them. Like they are awesome cause they give you warm water when normaly there is no warm water to be found, but damn!! Ok so I got a couple tips!
1. IF you find a place where you can crank the heat on full blast and it stays warm well, thats awesome I would stay there!

2. Most of the time though your gonna have to turn it just a teensy bit so water just starts trickling out becuase if you blast it, the water moves to fast through the head for it to be heated and its gonna be cold. So shitty!

3. Keep you head away from the shower head, there has been several times I got a jolt cause my hair touched a shady electric shower head and the current went right down through my hair and into my brain, it made me look like this in the shower

4. same goes for touching it with your hands, oh and dont touch the wires sticking out everywhere eaither, dont even go close with wet hands....I know most of your are like well duhh, but it happens, trust!

ok other then that, love them and hate them as much as I do.
TheWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:32 AM   #2
freespiritz
always trippin'

Love the "suicide showers", good times. :D

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
pinknic38
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

wow that sounds pretty safe! anywhere that can send an electric jolt through your head is safe in my book... electricity, wires, and water... excelent combination.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:42 AM   #4
maracle
Rabidly Xenophilic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinknic38 View Post
wow that sounds pretty safe! anywhere that can send an electric jolt through your head is safe in my book... electricity, wires, and water... excelent combination.

I took this in Peru earlier this year. Mainly to show to my dad, who's an architect, and ask "is this up to code?"

At least they use a circuit breaker

But they really do suck overall, you can only let it give the slightest trickle to get it luke warm, and if your hotel isn't heated and its cold the freezing air plus luke warm water spitting on you is like torture. I don't need much, but I barely function as a human without a warm shower in the morning.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:58 PM   #5
Legitikick
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick

yeah, those things usually don't work too well . . . in fact I gave up after a while. Plus, it was so damn hot when I was there that a cold shower was nice anyways.
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:15 PM   #6
pinknic38
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

hey at least there's a dish for your soap!

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

So what was the answer to your question? IS it up to code?

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:41 PM   #8
agriadam
TP Ghost

Send a message via AIM to agriadam

That is really awesome I didn't even know those excisted. I don't know how i would feel about taking a shower with the possabilty of glowing in th edark afterward

“Life is too short to spend it doing something you don't like... if your passion is selling surfboards by the sea, then that is where you should be.”
-My Dad

"Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once."
-Anthony Bourdain

“If you can imagine a man having a vasectomy without anesthetic to the sound of frantic sitar-playing, you will have some idea what popular Turkish music is like.”
-Bill Bryson

"The older I get the less likely I feel I will ever figure my life out... I think that might be okay though"
-Me
agriadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:41 PM   #9
Kevin-L
TPunk Recognized

yeah right, there's probably a hundred things wrong with that picture, I'd be surprised if no ones been killed yet.

just for general knowledge circuit breakers only trip on dead shorts or more than the breaker is rated for, your body wont do that, so you get shocked until you can let go of the wires or draw more than the breaker is rated at which is usually 15-30amps, when it only takes milliamp to kill you. thats a scary picture.

Last edited by Kevin-L; 10-21-2007 at 04:49 PM.
Kevin-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:59 PM   #10
maracle
Rabidly Xenophilic

heh, well I meant to show it to him as a joke...you can always count on an architect be in some perfectly normal place and say "hmm, this railing appears to be violating section 403-b subsection 12 of the building code which CLEARLY states that blah blah blah"

So that hideous picture might give them nightmares :D

Anyway, my guess is that the breaker is there so that they can cut the power to safely remove any bodies that pile up. This kind of rig is actually pretty common down there, the guidebooks even all mention it and say that you might get a brief shock but it usually doesn't kill people

Between the risk of electrocution death and not having a shower, I will choose the shower.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:07 PM   #11
LostFarmboy
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

Ah yes, I got electrocuted by many of those in Central and South America. Damn they hurt.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #12
Legitikick
TPunk Recognized

guess I got luck, never got shocked
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:46 PM   #13
freespiritz
always trippin'

Me neither. But I never ever touched the shower heads.

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:19 PM   #14
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

^That is quite relevant. H2O doesn't conduct electricity. Now I know what you are thinking... but if we had pure H2O (deionized free of impurties) you could drop a toaster into your bathtub and be fine.

If you touch the showerhead, you can end up the providing a path to ground. As Kevin said, that won't trip the breaker necessarily (they call it a "high impedance fault")

Fortunately our skin is quite resistive

All that electrical theory aside, I would be nervous about showering there.

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:48 PM   #15
Legitikick
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe7f View Post
All that electrical theory aside, I would be nervous about showering there.

--Joey
Oh, that's all part of the fun! Who couldn't use an extra boost anyways?
Old 10-22-2007, 01:27 AM   #16
MeTurk
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Quote:
3. Keep you head away from the shower head, there has been several times I got a jolt cause my hair touched a shady electric shower head and the current went right down through my hair and into my brain, it made me look like this in the shower
It gets you going in the morning though. Nothing like a good hair raiser to get rid of the sleepy head.

Electric showers are quite common in Ireland (I have had them in all my last rentals) but they look nothing like that one in the picture. I've had ones that are either Extremely hot or extremely cold with no inbetween. My current one's working fine though.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:18 AM   #17
lost in texas
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTurk View Post
Electric showers are quite common in Ireland...
I was going to say... I've never seen anything that ghetto, but I spent about a week in Northern Ireland and all the showers were electric. Of course I never saw any hanging wires or got shocked by it, but that was still a first.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:54 AM   #18
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

I had never actually heard of this! Are you guy just goofing around or is the probability of feeling the electricity go through you an actual fact? Casue i can tolerate a lot of things, but I would be soooo scared of taking a shower there! I' rather clean up with a garden hose!!
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:29 AM   #19
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

^ I think being a girl it wouldnt be as bad because we're usually much shorter than guys so the chances of out hair hitting the showerhead wre much less likely. See? Being short has it's benefits....

Of course I'm assuming you're not 6ft from your pics...if you are...well, good luck

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:40 PM   #20
LostFarmboy
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by florencia9699 View Post
I had never actually heard of this! Are you guy just goofing around or is the probability of feeling the electricity go through you an actual fact? Casue i can tolerate a lot of things, but I would be soooo scared of taking a shower there! I' rather clean up with a garden hose!!
No, no goofing around here, you can (and probably will) actually get electrocuted by these things. Some of them have metal levers on the actual shower head to turn them on. As metal conducts electricity they wrap the levers in electrical tape to avoid electrocution. Unfortunately, sometimes they miss a little bit of lever here and there. So, when you go to turn the shower off with your wet hands - ZAP. Sure does wake you up in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_angelic View Post
^ I think being a girl it wouldnt be as bad because we're usually much shorter than guys so the chances of out hair hitting the showerhead wre much less likely. See? Being short has it's benefits....
Unfortunately, this doesn't help. I'm only 5'6" and I definately had my fair share of electrical moments.