Lonely planet friendliest countries - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-17-2007, 03:19 AM   #1
MeTurk
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk
Default Lonely planet friendliest countries

Lonely planet List Ireland as the friendliest country in world followed by the US.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhmhcweyeymh/rss2/
Old 10-17-2007, 06:07 AM   #2
noke_travel
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to noke_travel

i've found that to be true. everyone i spoke to in ireland was friendly and helpful. especially in cork, it seemed everyone had a cousin in boston and wanted to know if i had met them.

thinking about it makes me miss ireland.

"I showed them...I'm still alive." Homer Simpson
noke_travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:25 AM   #3
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

Ireland is a wonderful country! And the eople are justsoooo nice! :D I really hope to go back there some day!!

As for the US... hmm... US citizens are wonderful, but I'm not sure I would list it as the second most friendly country in the world when just getting IN is one of the biggest hassles and you're deemed a terrorist until proven other wise... (sorry, I love the US, but getting there as a tourist, or even for a work meeting is such a pain!)
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:37 AM   #4
MeTurk
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

It's not that hard for Irish people to get into America. I don't think we even need a visa. There's even under the table discussions between Ireland and America to overlook illegal Irish citizens in any immigration policies. We truly are a blessed nation. :D

Quote:
it seemed everyone had a cousin in Boston and wanted to know if i had met them.
I have loads of cousins over in Boston/NY. I'd be surprised in there's even one Irish person that doesn't at least know someone in Boston. I'll actually have to find out the names of some of the pubs that are owned by locals over in New York. A guy from Dunmore has 3 pubs near times square if you walked into any of them and said a Dunmore man sent you, you'd be guaranteed a free drink or two.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:13 AM   #5
lost in texas
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by florencia9699 View Post
...I'm not sure I would list it as the second most friendly country in the world when just getting IN is one of the biggest hassles and you're deemed a terrorist until proven other wise...
I feel your pain on the immigration hassles, but that doesn't really change your perception of the people, right? The only country I've really been hassled trying to get into was Jordan, and I think they are some of the most hospitable people in the world (once you're inside)!
Old 10-17-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
noke_travel
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to noke_travel

should us immigration deport all the irish who entered boston illegally, we'd have no bartenders or rugby teams. seriously!

"I showed them...I'm still alive." Homer Simpson
noke_travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:44 AM   #7
florencia9699
TPunk Emeritus

Nooo, of course not, that's why I said

Quote:
Originally Posted by florencia9699 View Post
As for the US... hmm... US citizens are wonderful [...] (sorry, I love the US, but getting there as a tourist, or even for a work meeting is such a pain!)
Fortunately, when I was in the US I had a wonderful time and I met nothing but wonderful people, I'm just saying that perhaps an evaluation of a country has to involve most aspects of it.

Getting into Ireland was funnny though, there was a line for EU citicens (I suppose because getting around those countries for people from within the EU is supposed to be easier) and one for "the rest of the world". The EU line was huuuuuge. The one for "rest of the world" was just this other lady and me lol, the immigrations oficer took a double take at my passport, perhaps he'd never recieved someone from Argentina before, asked me for my business, and stamped a green passport stamp. I breeezed into Ireland. :D Oh! and I thought iit was hillarious that even passport stamps are green in Ireland.

(I looove the USofA!)
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:54 PM   #8
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

I thought Spain was quite friendly but Ireland definitely takes the cake.

I have always thought of Americans (especially those outside of really big cities) as being quite friendly but thought I was usually unique in that biased opinion. Apparently not :D

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:08 PM   #9
LostFarmboy
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

Austria is the friendliest country that I have ever been to. The people there helped me out so much.

After that, I would say the US is the friendliest place I have been to. While I've only been to Dallas and only for 1 night, I found the people there were great!
Old 10-18-2007, 12:59 AM   #10
kiwichick
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to kiwichick

id put a vote in for japan, i have never been anywhere so genuinely hospitable:D
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:01 PM   #11
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

^Funny you say that Denise, because I was thinking of them too. They are unbelieveably hospitable but they are usually somewhat shy too. That was my thinking anyway. Because yeah, the Japanese rock

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:47 AM   #12
wong name
Members

i think any smaller town that speaks english has the friendliest people
wong name is offline   Reply With Quote