Why buy it if you already have it? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-03-2007, 12:54 PM   #1
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

Default Why buy it if you already have it?

Sorry, I guess this is a rant, but I'm ranty. And I welcome comments from all those who can commiserate.

You know that old schtick about needing scissors to open the package that scissors come in? Well, I just ordered a new phone (switched companies, blah blah), and I found a phone that Sprint charges $150 for from the manufacturer for free PLUS a memory card. So I order it. Jerkoffs (pardon) ACTIVATE it in Dallas before they ship it with two day shipping. Panicked emails from friends ensue because I never have my phone off. Then I freak a bit because I'm applying for jobs and nobody can reach me. Whatever, today's the big day and I was going up and down to the mail room so many times that my Building Manager just said "oh Jessica has a package!" to the woman who distributes them (probably to get me to stop looking anxious).

The phone is great, I set it up, go to call my mom (the primary reason I switched to Sprint...free mobile to mobile with mama!) and it says that I am welcome to pay "as little as" $0.25 a minute for any outgoing calls. Grrr. So I call customer service, have to repeat my phone number (just connect me to a person - they ask the SAME exact questions anyways!) and the automated biotch (pardon) on the other line gets it wrong three times in a row. (I have a cold!!!!!!! Enunciation is totally beyond me right now.) And when I finally reach a person (Sharona, a very nice person in or at least from the West Indies...) she tells me I need to call from a phone that's not mine. Uhhhhhhh.

Thank GOD my roommate went to his "stylist" today and is coming home early to shower before going out tonight. I'm going to pounce on him as soon as he gets in to use his phone.

Moral: you need a phone to get a phone!!!

I though that enough 20-somethings of my generation were moving up to positions of power at this point to enable the kind of mobile-only lifestyle that we've been accustomed to for the past decade-ish. I guess it will take a few more years. Until then...
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

oh yeah...switching providers is crazy annoying. I just ditched sprint after 4 years, I would get way too frusterated with their customer service
Old 10-03-2007, 01:25 PM   #3
juliagulia
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

sprint CS SUCKS ASS.

that's all i have to say about them.

i realized today that i dont think i could ever have a landline. we never answer our phone here, as it is. it's always a telemarketer, and if it's someone important, they try a cell phone two minutes afterwards, anyway.

i wonder if fifty years from now, we'll be telling our grandkids "oh yes, the days of the home phone..."

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

I think less than 50 years to be honest....
Old 10-03-2007, 02:03 PM   #5
lauren313
Tpunk Senior Moderators

It's a load of shite, isn't it? I accidentally locked my SIM recently, so had to call up to get it reactivated. Um... how can I call customer services if I have locked my phone?! I don't have a landline, so tried from a payphone, except it's one of these stupid things that has "press 1 for... press 2 for..." so I press 1, and it hangs up the payphone as if I want to make a new call!!

I had to beg off a friend too! I feel for ya!
Old 10-03-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
pinknic38
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

of all the companies in the world to piss me off, I think cell phone companies really take the cake. I had a long running issue with verizon wireless, and warranty issues with a phone and they told me if I wanted a new phone I could add a new line on my account and get a new phone there, otherwise no... I'm one person, why do I need 2 lines, for an additional amount a month, plus the inconvenience of changing my number AGAIN.

no. I've had the least problems with AT&T/cingular (whatever it is now).

the long and short of it is, I feel your pain.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:15 PM   #7
maracle
Rabidly Xenophilic

The phone companies are not very smart, they're losing their customers one generation at a time with all the fees on landlines. I don't know anyone that I went to college with that still has a land line. $40 just to get a new line activated when you move (and students move a lot) is stupid, especially when activation just means they switch it on in their computer. No technician or anything. Meanwhile the cable company and the broadband providers are happy to come out and install service free.

Well, not surprisingly everyone just got used to their cellphone. Why go back to a landline? Most people grow up with a land line, then ditch it in college. Phone companies should be doing whatever they can to keep people hooked during that time.

If you want to see how insanely out of touch with reality the phone companies are, check this out:
"85-year-old Hermon man learns he needn't lease his phone"
Lloyd Overlock never had much reason to think about his telephone. The 85-year-old Hermon resident just paid his bills and knew the service was there if he needed it. But Overlock, who for five decades has been paying a monthly fee to lease his phone, found out recently that the arrangement is a pricey, outmoded throwback to the days of telephone industry monopoly.
http://www.bangordailynews.com/news/...540&zoneid=176

Just another industry desperately clutching onto an outdated business model.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:00 PM   #8
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

Soooo my phone is all set up! After swearing to my roommate a penalty of death if he got sick from me using his cell. And I dazzled my dinner partners with my slick phone and my new Feist ringtone! (I've never had a ringtone that doesn't come with the phone before - I splurged.)

All I have to say is damn the man.

...and I've called my mom twice without dipping into my minutes! :D
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
Old 10-04-2007, 01:25 AM   #9
Sijuki
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

Quite honestly, I hated Sprint with a passion, and when my beloved Nextel merged with Sprint... well there went the neighborhood. 3 weeks of intermittent service ended that relationship.

I always hated that you had to call from another phone to activate your phone. I hate dealing with customer service, if I can avoid it by any cost I will.

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:39 AM   #10
mbo108
TPunk. Recognize.

I would never get another landline again but Wired Magazine (and for the life of my i can't find the link online) had a feature on a new gadget this month. Its like a cordless phone with a traditional base charger and whatnot. Anyways, it works off of your cell phone. So you can leave your cell anywhere in the house and have this base station somewhere else and answer or make calls from either one. Thought that was pretty neat. I know it was around $180 US for two base stations and phones. And there are no other fees other than your normal cell phone service fees.
mbo108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:15 AM   #11
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliagulia View Post
sprint CS SUCKS ASS.

that's all i have to say about them.

i realized today that i dont think i could ever have a landline. we never answer our phone here, as it is. it's always a telemarketer, and if it's someone important, they try a cell phone two minutes afterwards, anyway.

i wonder if fifty years from now, we'll be telling our grandkids "oh yes, the days of the home phone..."
just ask the telemarketer to be taken off the "call list", and you'll stop getting calls...I know...I used to be a telemarketer.... for a week

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:56 AM   #12
wong name
Members

i heard there stopping the do-not call list next year. i hope they pass some type of law to replace it.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:51 AM   #13
pinknic38
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_angelic View Post
just ask the telemarketer to be taken off the "call list", and you'll stop getting calls...I know...I used to be a telemarketer.... for a week
I think everyone has been a telemarketer for a week. they woo us in by promoising crazy things likw 5K a month or something but then you realize you actually have to sell the stuff and quit. haha.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:13 AM   #14
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

Or you realize the MTF's say that you'll have at least 3 hr shifts but if you dont sell within their "quota" for the 1st hour you'll be sent home...

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:30 AM   #15
maracle
Rabidly Xenophilic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong name View Post
i heard there stopping the do-not call list next year. i hope they pass some type of law to replace it.
They're not stopping it, but when you get on it only puts you on for a few years. Then you have to sign up again. So if you have a landline go enter yourself on the list again and you're set for a few more years.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:58 AM   #16
lauren313
Tpunk Senior Moderators

I was never a telemarketer, not even for a week. Whenever I was applying for temp jobs, I always was very firm on the whole "NO TELESALES/TELEMARKETING JOBS!" thing. I was always too scared to cold-call people!
Old 10-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #17
DC_Jessica
call me Condi!

I was a telemarketer for my university for one shift. Only one. I don't even think I picked up my paycheck.
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Old 10-17-2007, 09:49 AM   #18
Legitikick
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick

What really drives me nuts is how the cell phone companies lock features on the phones, forcing us to pay. My phone plays music but I have to pay to unlock that feature. And why do I only have demo version games? Damn, in Europe all my phones, and I had plenty, came with cool full-version games. Damn Verizon.
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:34 AM   #19
Sijuki
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

My current phone didn't come with any games. The other thing I hate is when you upgrade or change phones, you can't take your ringtones or games with you, so you have to hack them.

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote