The Silk Road - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-01-2007, 11:57 AM   #1
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Default The Silk Road

Hey, since I got back from this year's trip I have only had one idea for my next trip.. aka "the big one".

This would be to travel from the Middle East through to East Asia via the ancient silk road, where all the civilizations used to make friends and exchange stuff that they made.

So the road would start from just say, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Iran, the Central Asian countries, afghanistan, Pakistan, India, China... and countries in between.

Anyway... I think I remember reading a post about someone who has done this.... anyone know how long this would take, or has anyone travelled through C. Asia before?

I am assuming this is going to be at least half a year...
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:57 PM   #2
Esterina
french touch

Adam/ajb3000 did a similar route just this summer.

Read this and this

There is plenty of info plus all the updates from the road ! I remember getting the visa for Iran took forever, so you better apply soon.

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

wow, im reading it right now, that looks awesome.

Thanks Esther... =) hope your birthday was good
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:20 PM   #4
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

That sounds wicked I'd like to do something like that someday...

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:40 PM   #5
lost in texas
TPunk Recognized

You may have already heard about this, but Rory Stewart has an amazing book about the Afghanistan leg of the route. It's called "The Places In Between." I definitely wouldn't do it, but it's been done.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:12 AM   #6
my retro career
TPunk Emeritus

CB....you've just mentioned the "mother" of all trips, the BIG one....

that would be the PENULTIMATE journey for me...

yes, i've been daydreaming about doing something like this for a while...

there was this article/website that i've read actively a few years ago that was documented by this irish bloke who drove his bimmer from dublin to sydney, via europe, then ukraine, then the silk route, into indochina then to perth, then to sydney.

it was an amazing tale - much of it his/their account was on all the border crossings they had to endure, with the political greasing and paperwork, paperwork...and yet more documents and paperwork - to bring their vehicle across all those countries' borders.

i tried googling it, but i don't think the page is up anymore...i'll try again...hopefully with better luck....

you'll be certainly inspired once you read it....

Old 10-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #7
ajb3000
TPunk Recognized

If you go to Israel then you won't get into Iran, at least not on the same passport anyway. Also in regards to my travelogue, expect it to be updated very soon with the Central Asian Republics, and my photo album has now been updated as well.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Where I'm going: Cyprus (June 2013)
ajb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:15 PM   #8
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

Adam isn't kidding...he's put probably around 200 pics of Iran on his website. Awesome my friend...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote