Is Backpacking the new DIET - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 09-24-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
travlvirgin
Members

Default Is Backpacking the new DIET

OK so this is a silly, superficial, girlie question. and i do believe i will immediately regret this post lol. but it has to be said.

Do you loose weight when you backpack?

March 08 - March 09 Europe, Italy - Spain - Portugal - France - Switzerland - Belgium - Netherlands - Denmark - Germany - Sweeden - and where ever else life takes me
travlvirgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:37 PM   #2
freespiritz
always trippin'

I've definitely told people that backpacking is my diet plan - walking for miles with my stuff on my back and being too cheap to eat.

That said, I don't think I actually lose weight on the road. Well, that's a lie. It depends...I did in Borneo but that was because I was climbing mountains and white water rafting and stuff. I think I stayed the same through Central America...even though I'm pretty active on the road, I've decided that experiencing food is an equally important part of traveling.

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
LostFarmboy
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

I came back from South America in the best shape of my life. But, I did do A LOT of hiking while I was there.

So, I guess it really depends on what you do. If you do nothing but party party party, then I guess you'd probably gain weight. But, if you do a heap of sight seeing and hiking and what not, then you'd have to lose weight.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:03 PM   #4
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

The female species in general hates me. I have weighed within 5 pounds for the last 15 years or so, and can eat as much or as little while traveling and not fluctuate (sp?) at all. But thats just me
Old 09-24-2007, 07:22 PM   #5
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

I think so. I lost 40 lbs (around 18 kg) in 3 months by backpacking.

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
juliagulia
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

When I went to Greece, we walked to much that I lost 5 pounds in the 10 days we were there.

I gained it all back once I was home for fourth of July

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
Joker
You want fries with that?

Lost about 10lbs in Costa Rica from all the hiking/walking and general physical activity. Or maybe it was the food poisoning in Miami on the way back!

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:44 PM   #8
maracle
Rabidly Xenophilic

I lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks in Peru earlier this year. It was the combination of tons of walking at 4000 meters and altitude sickness killing my appetite (I ate NOTHING for 5 days, I was forcing myself to eat candy bars near the end just to stop my hands from shaking)

You'll be pretty fit I'm sure after your trip! :D
Old 09-24-2007, 11:48 PM   #9
Rebel1
TPunk Recognized

Yeah, about 18 pounds in 2 1/2 months backpacking Europe. It kind of amazes me though. I am semi-active at home and i kinda watch what i eat. On the road I did hike a lot with my backpack but the caloric intake i had on some days was that of a sumo wrestler. The food in Germany and Czech Rep...you kidding? I think i still have gravy on my chin. And the drinking...not much in some countries but Greece and Spain more than met the quota for my trip. Makes me think my fat ass should get up and run a couple miles right now.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:43 AM   #10
lauren313
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Blimey, am I a complete freak of nature?! I put weight on when I was away. I think it's probably because I went to NZ and Australia, where, if I wasn't cooking for myself, convenience/fast food was the cheapest option! It was probably only 3/4lbs over 3 months, but still!!
Old 09-25-2007, 04:41 AM   #11
expatben
lover of Germany

depends on how physical you are and how much/what you eat. When I was in Germany I did do a lot of walking, on the other hand I ate lots of cake and pork. When I was in France, I didn't eat much and lost a lot of weight, same with Poland.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:19 AM   #12
ajb3000
TPunk Recognized

It totally depends on the country. This summer I found I gained weight in Iran because everyone (mostly complete strangers) kept giving me food and insisting I take it, but then I lost weight very quickly in Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan as the food was pretty bad and the portions always meager.

In general though, I usually come home a belt size smaller and in better shape with more stamina as well.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Where I'm going: Cyprus (June 2013)
ajb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:06 AM   #13
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

When I got home everyone kept complimenting me on how much weight I've lost but I only dropped one pant size. I don't weigh myself, I measure by the fit of my clothes. In 2.5 months I came home with none of the clothes I left with cause they didn't fit. =] I could have lost more weight but I ate too much fast food. Of course generally they give smaller portions and buy more = bigger value is less prevalent. (No more BOGO ice cream sales or all you can eat buffets to tempt you right? =])
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:14 AM   #14
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

I lost a lot of weight the first month because I was go-go-go and I ate v. little/drank v. little. Then I crashed a moped for the second half & lazed around on the beach for 2 weeks and ate a TON/drank a TON, so by the end of the trip I pretty much broke even....although I was probably still a little more toned.

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:18 AM   #15
Maineartist
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Maineartist

I gain weight and walk a lot when backpacking. Though for me gaining weight is positive.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:42 AM   #16
voyd
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Arrow

I've heard guys tend to lose weight whereas girls might lose less or even gain some.

I think this is because guys tend to just burn fat...whereas girls may burn some fat...but also gain more muscle back too (which weighs more than fat). At least that's my guess.

In any case, I lose weight even if I am being stuffed to the gills by over-gracious Chinese hosts. Overall, the food is just much less fattening abroad since it is far less processed with far less additives and sugar.
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:53 AM   #17
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

I have no doubt the food is part of it but I think the main contributing factor is the increased exercise.

I bet I am lucky to walk 0.5 miles a day (unless I go to the gym) whereas when you travel you could end up walking 11k in half the recommended time, through areas where beavers flooded with a girl who feels like that is just a warmup for 60k the following weekend and you realize you should be strapping on an apron and getting her a beer... just a generic example mind you

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:41 PM   #18
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

I definitely lost weight this past trip... 10 pounds in 28 days.

Probably because did 3X the physical activity of a regular day back home, and ate about 1/3 of what I usually eat at home...

Usually I'm just to concerned with budget to buy food, or I don't want to be hassled with having to choose a restaurant and figure out how to order... I usually stuck with shack-kind of places..
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:43 PM   #19
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
Yeah, about 18 pounds in 2 1/2 months backpacking Europe. It kind of amazes me though.

Although not in Ios, eh Mo?

I remember I had kebab 4 times in one night...hahaha
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #20
travlvirgin
Members

Hahaha so it looks like ill do a bit of both. the first bit im with family so i guess ill put on a ton of weight. after that im solo for six months and in all honesty i cant see myself stopping to eat all that much, ill be more of a continuous fruit eater or snacker. and do heappppppppps of walking so hopefully i come home in better shape.

March 08 - March 09 Europe, Italy - Spain - Portugal - France - Switzerland - Belgium - Netherlands - Denmark - Germany - Sweeden - and where ever else life takes me
travlvirgin is offline   Reply With Quote