Travel to Colombia - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > South America

South America Bossa Nova, the Amazon rain forest, Machu-Pichu, Incas, Grazie Jiu-Jitsu, salsa dancing, exotic women...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-05-2004, 04:38 PM   #1
LostLuggageTales
Members

Here's the latest from the US State Department with regards to Colombia:

Quote:
March 3, 2004
This Travel Warning is being issued to remind American citizens of ongoing security concerns in Colombia, continues to warn against travel to Colombia, and notes a continuing threat in urban areas throughout Colombia. This supersedes the Travel Warning issued December 19, 2003.

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens against travel to Colombia. Violence by narcoterrorist groups and other criminal elements continues to affect all parts of the country, urban and rural. Citizens of the United States and other countries continue to be the victims of threats, kidnappings, and other violence. Colombian terrorist groups also operate in the border areas of neighboring countries, creating similar dangers for travelers in those areas. Bombings have caused civilian casualties throughout Colombia. Targets include supermarkets, places of entertainment, and other areas where U.S. citizens congregate. There have been no security incidents, to our knowledge, on San Andres Island (off the coast of Nicaragua).

About 2,200 kidnapping incidents were reported throughout Colombia in 2003. Since the year 2000, 28 Americans were reported kidnapped in various parts of the country. American kidnap or murder victims have included journalists, missionaries, scientists, human rights workers, U.S. government employees and businesspeople, as well as persons on tourism or family visits, and even small children. No one can be considered immune on the basis of occupation, nationality or any other factor. Most kidnappings of U.S. citizens in Colombia have been committed by terrorist groups, including the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) and the National Liberation Army (ELN), which have been designated as Foreign Terrorist Organizations by the Secretary of State. Since it is U.S. policy not to make concessions to, or strike deals with, terrorists, the U.S. government’s ability to assist kidnapped U.S. citizens is limited.

As the Department continues to develop information on any potential security threats to U.S. citizens overseas, it shares credible threat information through its Consular Information Program documents, available on the Internet at http://travel.state.gov. U.S. travelers can also get up-to-date information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 in the U.S. or Canada or on a regular toll line at 1-317-472-2328.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:42 PM   #2
jteichgrab
Members

im in SA at the moment and i have met a number of people that have traveled to columbia. they all said it was the best. although you must be very smart about where you go and when, but thats like everywhere you travel.

jteichgrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 07:10 AM   #3
worldwidemike
TPunk Emeritus

True, true, JT. However, Colombia is on my "don't go" list, what with the shooting going on from the drug war, the smoldering insurgency, and the new, lovely fad of kidnappings, I can afford to wait for it to calm down. Too many other places in the world to go...

Heck, the only country in S.A. I've been to is Brazil -- I have all the others to see, first!

Take care down there, JT!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 02:49 PM   #4
expatben
lover of Germany

I wouldn't go to Colombia I have heard too many bad things about drug wars, gangs, guerilla fighters ect ect.
XPat

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 12:08 AM   #5
omisan
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

I'd go... If the State Department says to stay away, it MUST be cool

Only kidding - there really are problems in terms of kidnapping, extortion, etc., especially in regards to Americans. A "Colombian necktie" isn't an urban legend... So yeah, the warnings do stand.

However, I'm not one to usually care about such things (hell, I'm brown and tend to blend in everywhere I go except the midwest) and have only heard positive things about Colombia from everyone I've known to have visited there. At least, from the ones that made it back!

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:45 PM   #6
juanduu
Members

Send a message via MSN to juanduu

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(omisan @ Oct 24 2005, 02:08 AM) [snapback]82770[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I'd go... If the State Department says to stay away, it MUST be cool

Only kidding - there really are problems in terms of kidnapping, extortion, etc., especially in regards to Americans. A "Colombian necktie" isn't an urban legend... So yeah, the warnings do stand.

However, I'm not one to usually care about such things (hell, I'm brown and tend to blend in everywhere I go except the midwest) and have only heard positive things about Colombia from everyone I've known to have visited there. At least, from the ones that made it back!
[/b]
The last two years Colombia has become a lot safer and as long as you stay away from the countryside in the east of the country you wont have more security concerns than in the rest or southamerica. Its really worth to travel colombia. check another forums with a stronger Southamerican branch and you will realize what other travellers think about the countries
also check www.blacksheepmedellin.com to know the best destinations

dont be afraid and enjoy

We have to build a history worthy of proud, a full-colored humanity, a nature still exuberant, a capability to watch the western civilization in its context and from the shore, not thinking we are superior to anyone. We are more creative than disciplined, more recursive than submissive, we are diverse and spontaneous, and that gives us a great advantage in a future that seems fecund for creativity over the sole physical or mechanical activity.
Our North is the South. SouthAmerica standing and united!
William Ospina
juanduu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:53 PM   #7
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

yeah everything i heard in SA was the same. Everyone said it was thier favorite place in south america.

I am sooo down to go!
Old 08-16-2006, 07:59 AM   #8
DJ_VeeeNoM
Members

Send a message via AIM to DJ_VeeeNoM Send a message via MSN to DJ_VeeeNoM Send a message via Yahoo to DJ_VeeeNoM

Dude how did I miss this one, my Fam is Colombian! therefore COLOMBIA RULES! Oh and guys well other than the boarders with Venezuela, I would say it's pretty safe ( Although the usual robberings do happen: pocketpicking and stuff like that) I would say bogota and Cali are nice places but the Costa which would be Cartagena De Indias is the place I give my heart in Colombia out! mad Beaches and mad cuties, yet for the cuties Colombia has a good percentage out Hotties!

Oh oh! if you go try: Buñuelos & Pan de Bono! I heart colombian pastry!
Old 08-16-2006, 10:33 AM   #9
SleepIsTheCousinOfDeath

Send a message via AIM to SleepIsTheCousinOfDeath

Colombian necktie is some ruthless shit. Do you think a columbian necktie would go good with this shirt?

Where have I been? Well, thus far: Argentina, Canada, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, France, Germany, Ireland, Mexico, Japan, The Netherlands...

Where do I want to go? Well...: Central and South America, South East Asia, More of Europe, North, West, and South Africa, and...most places.
SleepIsTheCousinOfDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:38 AM   #10
DJ_VeeeNoM
Members

Send a message via AIM to DJ_VeeeNoM Send a message via MSN to DJ_VeeeNoM Send a message via Yahoo to DJ_VeeeNoM

WTF are you talking about? Neckties? Dude you have just outdone my randomness. props to you Sit Cod. :greenguy: