Portland, Oregon - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > U.S.A.

U.S.A. Hollywood, NYC, baseball, The Grand Canyon, East coast vs West coast, Starbucks, The Dallas Cowboys Chearleaders, and more...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 07-26-2007, 05:36 PM   #1
goodtimes245

Default Portland, Oregon

Hey guys,

So I am gonna be in Portland for around 4 days or so, before I spend another 4-5 days in Vancouver. Any suggestions on what to see/do in either of those cities? Thanks for the help
goodtimes245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:03 AM   #2
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

I've been there a couple of times recently for work but haven't had the opportunity to really sight see. It's quite a beautiful city though, I would definately try to get out to hike around Mt Hood - you can see this snow covered volcano right from downtown. It's breathtaking. Portland also probably has some of the best, if not the best, local beer in the country. Lots of great brewpubs. There is also a restaturant/hotel/beverage company called Mcmenamins. They have created some eclectic restaurants and pubs, some tied into a bed and breakfast that are also pretty interesting. I grabbed a beer and a meal at the Kennedy School, which is a converted elementary school that now has a couple of bars, a big restaurant, a small hotel and movie theatre. You can check out their website:Mcmenamins

That's pretty much all I know. It is a very picturesque, eclectic city though, I am sure you will enjoy it. One of their local slogans is 'Keep Portland Weird' if that tells you anything.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
Delaney
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Delaney Send a message via MSN to Delaney

When will you be in Portland? I live here, so if you want to grab a beer or something, I can show you around.

Jamie is right, the beer here is awesome. There are tons and tons of local breweries, let me know what you like and I can give you some suggestions. If you want to do the touristy things, some of them will give you tours of the brewery. Also check out the waterfront and the rose gardens. They are beautiful this time of year. There is also a bookstore downtown called Powell's that you have to check out. I could go on and on. PM me if you want more suggestions and let me know when you will be in town.
Let me know the kinds of things you want to see!

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
You are the guy who'll decide where to go. - Dr. Suess

Why I'm not on TPunk as much anymore: http://www.kaushallab.cbl.umces.edu/people.html#katie
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:32 AM   #4
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Aw man, I'm fucking Jealous, I wanna have a beer with Katie. Lucky
Old 08-01-2007, 09:04 AM   #5
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Beer Advocate recently named Portland one of the best beer cities in America if that tells you anything

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:03 AM   #6
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

Go to the Rock Bottom brewery and have their cask conditioned house IPA....f*$king fantastic.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Old 08-01-2007, 10:56 PM   #7
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

WHAT!?!?!?! Are you fuckin serious?!? A city more full of microbreweries than any other city in the nation and you fucking tell him to go to a franchised place? You gotta be kidding me jamie! Their IPA can't be that good! It's a franchise!

oh man what is this world coming too! Where's john McClain when you need him...
Old 08-02-2007, 08:22 AM   #8
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Try Sierra Nevada's Celebration. One of the largest microbreweries and one of the greatest IPAs I have ever tasted.

The prospect of a cask conditioned IPA though...

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Old 08-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
Delaney
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Delaney Send a message via MSN to Delaney

http://www.oregonbeer.org/links.html
Here is a list

My faves are Widmer and Rogue!

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
You are the guy who'll decide where to go. - Dr. Suess

Why I'm not on TPunk as much anymore: http://www.kaushallab.cbl.umces.edu/people.html#katie
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:37 PM   #10
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Oh I totally forgot about Rogue! Their Chocolate Stout and Dead Guy Ale are some of my favorite beers of all time.

--Joey

Old 08-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #11
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

Dead Guy Ale kicks ass. I got stuck in San Fran for a day and spent the afternoon in a Rogue Free House sampling all of their products. Damn fine.

Jake....Jake...Jake.....I don't care if they're franchised or not. Their cask conditioned IPA kicks serious ass and if you want to turn a blind eye because it offends your sense of righteousness then that just leaves more for the rest of us.