In two weeks... - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Where Do I Go?

Where Do I Go? Mind Melting? Brain Banging? Can't decide where in the world you wanna go? This forum is for you...
The T-Punk crew will send you in the right direction!!!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 07-23-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
Flood
Members

Default In two weeks...

Do you think I can make it from Dublin to Rome?

I think my plan is to Stay a night in each city on the way there... and on the off nights, sleep on the train.

What do you all think? Advice?

- Flood
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

If your goal is to see cities between Dublin and Rome I think this is a bad idea. You will not really get a feel for a city. I stayed in most cities for 3-4 days and that is not really enough. Next time I go to Europe I will probably stay 1 week in a city. One of the regrets of my trip is that I only spent 2 nights in both Budapest and Belgrade. Spent 3 weeks in Lviv, Ukraine and I feel like I connected with the locals and I know about Ukrainian culture and life.

If your goal is to get to Rome, then you should check out RyanAir or Aer Lingus. Both fly out of Dublin for cheap and you can get to Rome in a few hours.

I don't know the circumstances of your trip so I can't say for sure.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
Flood
Members

This will be my first time.

I am seeing it more as a challenge/adventure.

Where I can walk about, see some of the sites, party for a night, and then move on.

We used to do it across the US and it was great!

So, thats what I am shooting for.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:33 PM   #4
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

I would say it can be done but I still wouldn't recommend it. But I would recommend some nights in a hostel or CouchSurfing. Sleeping on the train isn't all its cracked up to be. Even if you have a Eurail pass night reservations could get pricey. For example: Munich to Berlin. Just to sleep in a chair sitting upright, it was 10 euros. This was already too much for me, but for shits and giggles I asked how much the next class up, couchette (sleeps 4 per compartment I think) was and they quoted me 30 euros :eek: So if you are on a budget and opting for the upright seats, its gonna wear you down eventually. Also this might lose valuable sightseeing time - but party all night and get on a morning train (many do not need reservation, but check the timetable to be sure). If it has compartment style seating, the seats recline and if you recline the one opposite you it makes a nice little bed. Usually I was able to find a compartment all to myself or a nearly empty one.

How'd you travel in the US? Low budget? Ultra low budget? I bet you have some awesome stories.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:33 AM   #5
Flood
Members

I'm already planning trips to places to "soak it in".

But this trip, part of the fun is packing in as much as possible.

For example, when I am in London, Im not the kind of person that will sit for 2hours in front of Big Ben. We're more like the people who would be like "Cool. Big Ben. Get a pic. Neat. Where too next. Cool, well, lets get us a beer and move out."

It's whirwind, yes, but its great fun.

Especially when it gets hecktic and you have a time you have to be somewhere to leave.

My friends and I live for that. We call it "extreme roadtripping."

A fun quote examply from tripping across the US. "What? How are we going to get to see Mt. Rushmore a drive to Nevada in 18 hours?"

Good Times.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:42 AM   #6
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

Everyone has their own unique travel styles. I think you'll be fine. I can have a bit of travel ADD in the beginning...I love to move around and see a whole bunch of stuff jam-packed into small amounts of time, then later on in a long trip I'll settle down, relax & stay a while. Have fun! Sounds like a blast!

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:41 AM   #7
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Dude, I gotta say travelling every day is bad idea.

Just because you can probably do it at first, but you get so sick of travelling after a while...

I just got back from my trip under 2 weeks ago... it was only a month, and I went to 12 cities in 28 days... so for a while I was travelling every other day... and you have no idea how SICK you get from travelling.

Plus, if you are in a city for one night, you might not meet the cool people you want. In almost every instance, I've meet cool people to chill with only the SECOND night in a city.

So yeah... I would advise agaist such a pace because of the burn out. Cuz you're not gonna be resting during the day either.. you're gonna be looking at sites and all that.

Or maybe I'm just old and I get tired easily...haha
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:54 PM   #8
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon View Post
Dude, I gotta say travelling every day is bad idea[...] you get so sick of travelling after a while...

I just got back from my trip [...] for a while I was travelling every other day... and you have no idea how SICK you get from travelling.

Plus, if you are in a city for one night, you might not meet the cool people you want. In almost every instance, I've meet cool people to chill with only the SECOND night in a city.
For a short trip you can do it. Otherwise I am in complete agreement with Jason. After two weeks in Italy, Germany and Paris I was glad to get back to Spain and just go no where for 4-5 days.

Btw, I have noticed the same thing you did about meeting people. My theory on that is that when you arrive at a hostel you are a little disoriented, perhaps arriving at an "off" time like 3p. The 2nd day you are out in the common area, walking around town etc.

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote