traveling with no ID?? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Travel Formalities
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Travel Formalities #@&##@ ! Paperwork, paperwork ! Help me out !

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 07-16-2007, 02:51 PM   #1
DrGonzo
Members

Default traveling with no ID??

So I have this good friend back home who I keep in touch with via e-mail, and he was wondering, just as much as I am, would you be able to catch plains, trains, and automobiles (yea, sorry, i had to ) with just a photocopy of your ID? He unfortunately got mugged a year or so back and has NO photo ID, and thanks to the US goverment, got stuck in a terrible loophole leaving him not able to go and get a new one.

Either way, the point of the story is, can you get around with just a photocopied ID or do you need the real thing?

"People who will not use their intelligence are no better than animals who do not have intelligence. Such people are beasts of burden and steaks on the table by choice and consent."
DrGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

As far as I know, you won't get through any customs checkpoints in airports without an authentic passport. As for trains, staying in country, I have never had to show I.D.. As for car rental, that probably depends on the country. Some have very lax policies. Hope that helps a bit
Old 07-16-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
Elizabeth
TPunk Moderator

He should still be able to get a passport. They require you to have a photo id (aka drivers lisence for most people, or state id) so since he doesn't have that all he needs is someone to come to the passport application place with him thats known him for 2 years so they can vouch for his identity.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
xanthuos

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

I fly domestically quite frequently without showing my ID to the TSA.
It is possible to do, even if they give you a little hassle. Traveling internationally is, of course, a different story. As for driving, no license means big trouble if stopped.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:28 AM   #5
mbo108
TPunk. Recognize.

Quote:
I fly domestically quite frequently without showing my ID to the TSA
I travel monthly for my work and I always have to show ID when I'm entering the airport screening line. They match your ID to your boarding pass. How do you skip this step?
mbo108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:17 PM   #6
noke_travel
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to noke_travel

i've flown domestically (us) with a color photocopy of my driver's license and a student id. i've also used the fake id i had to buy beer when i was in high school to board a flight a few years back but it was at a tiny little airport.

"I showed them...I'm still alive." Homer Simpson
noke_travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:19 PM   #7
Majestic58
**Wacktose Intolerant**

Location: Currently back in Canada... Saving and plotting my next adventure!
Send a message via AIM to Majestic58 Send a message via MSN to Majestic58 Send a message via Yahoo to Majestic58 Send a message via Skype™ to Majestic58

Quote:
Originally Posted by noke_travel View Post
i've also used the fake id i had to buy beer when i was in high school to board a flight a few years back but it was at a tiny little airport.
Wow! I'm glad you didn't get caught! That situation sounds like it would end in all kinds of probing questions being asked with the aid of a rubber glove!

Majestic58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:54 PM   #8
DrGonzo
Members

Awesome everyone! Thanks for the info.

"People who will not use their intelligence are no better than animals who do not have intelligence. Such people are beasts of burden and steaks on the table by choice and consent."
DrGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

My dad was able to go from Mexico to Guatemala, or vice versa with no passport (it had been stolen). This was at a land border crossing, not an airport. He did have other forms of picture ID. I think the combo of a little cash ($50 USD or so) and his powers of persuasion he managed iy but obviously certain countries are more lax than others. This was a couple of years ago. I forget now why he even did it, versus just going to the embassy wherever he lost it. There was a reason, though, I just forget what it is.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:53 PM   #10
noke_travel
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to noke_travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic58 View Post
Wow! I'm glad you didn't get caught! That situation sounds like it would end in all kinds of probing questions being asked with the aid of a rubber glove!
let's just say security is a little more lax at a certain regional airport in southwest virginia

"I showed them...I'm still alive." Homer Simpson
noke_travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:35 AM   #11
xanthuos

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbo108 View Post
I travel monthly for my work and I always have to show ID when I'm entering the airport screening line. They match your ID to your boarding pass. How do you skip this step?
To make your statement more accurate, you just have to remove the italicized part. How do I skip that step? Well, it's pretty simple. "I don't have an ID to show you."

They'll either select you as a secondary then (probably after chiding you, but ignore this), or send you back to the airline (to be marked a selectee). If you truly don't have ID, then your best bet is to be proactive and let the ticket counter agent know this before you go to the security line. It's up to the airline to decide if you're who you say you are, based on what you're able to offer them as evidence (photographed ID, frequent flier card, credit card in your name, etc). Checking ID is not a security measure, contrary to most people's beliefs. It is a revenue protection measure. After all, the 9/11 hijackers all had IDs. It wouldn't have done ANYTHING to stop them by comparing their tickets to their IDs, because they all had IDs!

If you do have ID and get sent back to the airline, what I've always done is simply tell them the truth. "I'll show you ID, but per the Gilmore case, I refuse to show identification to the TSA, so if you can mark me as a SSSSelectee, I'll be on my way."
Old 07-19-2007, 09:37 AM   #12
xanthuos

When writing that last reply, I forgot that quotes are automatically italicized. Substitute removing the bolded part below for my instructions above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbo108 View Post
Old 11-18-2007, 01:11 PM   #13
Dantheman
Members

No way dude, you cannot go without a PP!
Dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:48 PM   #14
Sijuki
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

I would imagine that people get around it all the time. To say you can't, would be foolish. How then would people cross borders all the time without any sort of identification. We have people that get picked up in the U.S. and Immigration or Customs or anyone else have no record of such a person ever coming across a border even though they came through New York or Boston.

While probably not as easy today as it was... say 70 years ago. I am sure it can still be done.

I mean, while it's not traveling I have taken money out of the bank, without knowing my account number, without an ID. It wasn't cause they knew me either. Actually one time I took money out of the wrong account on accident... belonged to a total stranger. Astoundingly amazing I thought it was. No ID, no account number, just gave a name, took out a few hundred dollars. So if I can get money at a bank I am sure someone can get across a border.

As for the passport, yeah just bring a couple dopes that will sign the affidavit stating they know who you are, and presto... a passport. With that the sky is the limit.

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:54 AM   #15
LiveFreeorDie
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
To make your statement more accurate, you just have to remove the italicized part. How do I skip that step? Well, it's pretty simple. "I don't have an ID to show you."

They'll either select you as a secondary then (probably after chiding you, but ignore this), or send you back to the airline (to be marked a selectee). If you truly don't have ID, then your best bet is to be proactive and let the ticket counter agent know this before you go to the security line. It's up to the airline to decide if you're who you say you are, based on what you're able to offer them as evidence (photographed ID, frequent flier card, credit card in your name, etc). Checking ID is not a security measure, contrary to most people's beliefs. It is a revenue protection measure. After all, the 9/11 hijackers all had IDs. It wouldn't have done ANYTHING to stop them by comparing their tickets to their IDs, because they all had IDs!

If you do have ID and get sent back to the airline, what I've always done is simply tell them the truth. "I'll show you ID, but per the Gilmore case, I refuse to show identification to the TSA, so if you can mark me as a SSSSelectee, I'll be on my way."
This is 100% accurate. I just went through this a couple of months ago. Right before a flight, I went to put a deposit down on a new apt. They took a photocopy of my ID and forgot to give it back. I got to the airport and NO ID. I thought I ws screwed. I went to the counter and explained what happened. They just asked if I had a credit card or something else with my name on it. They then write SSS on your boarding pass and your luggage tag. That means both you and your luggage are automatically selected for manual screening/searching. That's it, it was no problem.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote